• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joker
    232 I6
    • Jul 04, 2001

Jeep went one way, wheel went another.

Happened on the way to work tonite. Left rear wheel and axle came out. I was lucky I was pullin in the plant when it happened and wasn't going that fast. I have been hearing what I thought was my rear brakes(needed to be done for a long time)so I replaced pads and cylinders yesterday. But the sound was still there I thought I needed to adjust the pads again but I didn't have time and work is not far away. What do I do now, I had it towed home and it's my daily driver(was). Any advice ?
    \"The Beast of Burden\" 83 Wagoneer Ltm. Stock exp. 3inch exhaust with Flowmaster.
  • rigger
    232 I6
    • Dec 30, 2001

ouch soory about your luck .all i can say is when i have any thing apart,or even here noises i go over every bolt there. hind sight is allways 20/20
    you said pads so you have a different set up then me so i can't help more .
    yaya looks nice,but does she GO!?<br /><br />1981 cherokee lerado 360/727/208/d44/amc20 Wt<br />posi fnt & bck<br />.030\" overbore <br />crank shaved .010\" and line bored<br />balanced blueprinted<br />crane cam ,lifters<br />edelbrock preformer intake<br />edelbrock 650cfm four barrel carb<br />Tfi upgrade<br />3\" dynomax ultra flo exaust<br />custom lift springs <br />31\" bfg at\'s<br />CBR929 firblade<br />68 roadrunner 383 12.2 1/4 mile<br />original #\'s car

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

Sounds like your retaining ring or the bearing itself let go. I would try and source a different shaft for that side, as this one can be scored or bent, or maybe worn too much to hold the retaining ring.
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• Stolen76
        350 Buick
        • Dec 13, 2001

I've seen a few of these posts, and they are kinda un-nerving. Is the axle shaft what actually holds the wheel assembly on the axle ?
        76 Wag, 360, TH400, 3.55\'s<br />Q-Trac P/T, 16%OD, 2\" AAL<br />Uniroyal LT265/75-16\'s on 16x7\'s

Comment

• NYC
          258 I6
          • Oct 15, 2001

Same thing happened to the shop when they put the locker in Bushwood - finished up, went for test drive, made a slow u-turn, axle and wheel exited the Jeep.

The owner of the shop said it was the retaining ring (?) He said that there was another type of bearing that did not rely on the ring, but that it was standard for the Jeep. He replace the bearing (on both sides) with the other style... no, I don't know how to source that bearing. I can call him and ask if someone here can't answer it first.
          http://www.auburn.edu/~hawkijf/Bushwood1.jpg<p>1988 Grand Wagoneer \"Bushwood\"<br />3\" RC spring lift & 31\" ATs, Fresh 360, Warn M8274, Custom Front & Rear Bumpers, <br />Custom Roof-rack, Locked Rear, CD, CB, GPS & 17 new Ignition Control Modules!

Comment

• Don S
            • Feb 06, 2002

If the "C-clip" "falls" off a freshly reworked axle There would be one huge pile of dandruff scatched off the top of my head. Believe I"d watch'um pull off the cover to see if the clip is in there...... ....back to my cage....ds..
            Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
            It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
            ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• Bob Barry
              Jeep Doctor
              • Apr 09, 2000

The bearing must be pressed on to the axle, but I have never heard of a bearing that doesn't ALSO need a retaining-ring pressed on inboard of the bearing race to hold it firmly in place. I'm imagining that it has a tighter interference fit than the inner race.

But yeah, that bearing and retaining-ring are all that hold the axle, and hence the wheel bolted to it, in place.
              1987 J-20

Comment

• Rande
                Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                • Jun 26, 2000

C clip? What C clip? I just went through this with my ScoutII. There are two different bearings that will fit the axle. One has straighbearing rollers and the other has tapered bearing rollers. My ScoutII does not have C clips on the axle. It is held in by the tapered bearings. They are designed such that in the event of bearing roller failure, the inner race cannot pass through the outer bearing race. The axle stays in the housing. If this happens with the straight roller bearing, the inner race passes right through the outer race and the axle comes right out.
                When I had the bearings replaced on my axles, the machine shop had information indicating that the two styles of bearing were interchangeable. They are... but on C clip axles only! Non-C clip axles only use the tapered roller bearing.
                Chicago Rawhide makes the BR10 bearing that has the straight rollers, Timkin makes the SET10 bearing with the tapered rollers.
                So, if you have C clips, then either bearing will work. If your axle doesn't use C clips then use only tapered bearings. Timkin Set10 is a very well made bearing.
                N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
                1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
                1966 Mustang
                1937 IH D2

Comment

• WINGO
                  327 Rambler
                  • May 06, 2000

These bearings from NAPA work:

NAPA REAR WHEEL BEARING
                  <b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg

Comment

• greenchero
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 19, 2001

C-clips are used in GM diffs, because the bearing is pressed into the axle tube (maybe other manufacturers, don't know for sure). The dana diffs use a retaing ring to hold the bearing in place and then there are four bolts through the backing plate into the flange on the axle tube (with the exception of the full floaters). Sounds like your axle is wore out where the retaining ring is pressed on.

Comment

• Don S
                      • Feb 06, 2002

Rande......Joker and NYC didn't state witch type of rearend that they had problems with. I knew a a poor fellow who, being in a hurry forgot to install C-clips. I think it was a d-35c on a Grand Cherokee....... [img]smile.gif[/img] .....ds
                      Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                      It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                      ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• Joker
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 04, 2001

I am going to take it to a local jeep guru who said he would fix it where it wouldn't do it again. He is highly recommended so I am goning to let him do the work. He also said it didn't have a C clip in this type axle the the bearing set was the only thing holding it in. Also more good luck, my wife's soccer wagon just went T*Ts up. Bad fuel pump, modular pump in tank $$$$. So I am renting a car till that one is fixed. So I guess the Beast will have to take a back seat until then. Alot of good advice and info from all Thanks
                        \"The Beast of Burden\" 83 Wagoneer Ltm. Stock exp. 3inch exhaust with Flowmaster.

Comment

• Thomas DeBusk
                          258 I6
                          • May 08, 2000

Careful here!

I think we've got some apples and oranges comparisons here and incomplete information.

Our Wags have different axles for different years: AMC 20 and Dana 44, to name two. My 1983 Wag Limited (same as the original post here) had the EXACT SAME THING happen last August. And despite the fact that it had a tapered bearing, the axle came out just the same way. I'm still cleaning up the aftermath.

My axle (AMC 20) has no C-clip. But it does have a "press", or "interference" fit collar that holds the axle in. This kind of fit means the internal dimension of the ring is actually smaller than the shaft it fits on. That's why it takes a hydraulic press to install the ring and bearing. But when the bearing seizes from age or lack of lubrication, it can overcome that fit, and the axle comes right out. Really not very pleasant.

After lots of research, I've concluded you can install either tapered or round bearings on these axles. If you use the round bearings, you must leave out the inner axle seal so the diff. fluid lubricates the wheel bearings. If you use tapered bearings, you must packt he bearings with grease, and use the inner seal to keep the grease where it belongs.

My axle originally had tapered bearings and an inner seal. NAPA claims the round bearing is later and better and that's what I used to replace the original bearings. And I didn't use the inner seal.

Anybody care to make any corrections here? I started two long threads about this about a month ago. Seems like this would be a good topic for the archive.

Thomas
                          1983 Wagoneer Limited, 360, 229<br />1985 J10, 258 being replaced by multiport fuel-injected 360, 229

Comment

• Bob Barry
                            Jeep Doctor
                            • Apr 09, 2000

Though the axles are different, the bearings and retaining method are identical (SET10 with a retaining-ring).
                            1987 J-20

Comment

• blackjeep2002
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 21, 2001

Had the same thing happen to me only it was on the highway at 65MPH. I heard some truckers on the CB talking about "the shower of sparks coming from that truck in the southbound lane." NO one was hurt and I managed to get the Jeep off of the road and on to the shoulder. I had to get a new shaft for that side because the old one was scored too bad. I smelled the gear oil earlier in the day and thought I just had a leak in the diff cover. WRONG! Anyway, check out the thread "Death inviting rear axle" on the board. It had a lot of good info, I just wish I had seen it before it happened to me.
                              Best of luck,
                              Keith
                              I had a 78 Cherokee Chief,all of this good stuff on it:<br />360,TH400,D18<br />D44F/r (rear Detroit, Front limited slip)4.56 Gearing<br />35\" BFG Mud T/A\'s<br />Custom spare tire carrier<br />Custom dents by trees and stuff!<br /><br />Also own:<br />03 Wrangler<br />31\" tires<br />Rear lsd<br />CB<br />800 lb winch

Comment

Working...
                              X