• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotty1998
    350 Buick
    • Apr 21, 2008

Has this ever happened to you? (Long)

So I'm sitting at the local convenience store on Saturday and left my Waggy idleing with my 11 year old son in the passenger seat. I'm in the checkout line when someone says, "hey, is that you're Jeep out there?" Always getting questions about the rig, I say, "yeah" and look out the window but notice that the Jeep isn't there anymore.

There is was cruising slowly backwards, across the highway on its own. It was like watching a movie, my son decides to bail out and is swinging on the passenger door and the vehicle wacks a street light, pushing the light post backward as the globe unseats and comes crashing down into the roadway.

Thank god the boy was ok. His only comment when asked why he jumped out was...,"I tried to steer it, then tried to get the key out, and then didn't want to get hit in the face with the air bag!" I say, "oh young Alex, there is no airbag in this truck."

At any rate, when I checked whether the truck was in gear, the PRNDL was in the park position but obviously wasn't locked in place. What could cause this? It's never happened before and I certainly don't want it to happen again. Moral of the story is 1) shut the thing off when not in use, 2) use the emergency brake.

Secondly, the rear bumper is bent in about 30 degrees and I have a good sized crease in the rear quarter. The quarter also buckled in down by the exhaust. I think it'll be easy enough to repair the dents and I'll have to get a new bumper. The only problem that I see at the moment though is what happened to the passenger side B-pillar. The impact flexed the upper part of the Jeep where the tailgate and rear window meet the quarter. It split the body weld and pushed out the entire back quarter about 1/4". Now, the tail gate rattles around in the frame and I'm not sure how this can be repaired. I can post pics if it'll help.

Can't help but think, if this was a modern vehicle, I'd be talking about replacing the whole rear end
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Stock Everything
    AMC 360, 2-BBL Motorcraft

• slow5
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 09, 2009

I experienced this same issue the other weekend. Have not been able to figure out why it is happening. Needless to say the wagoneer is parked until I do.

Comment

• scotty1998
      350 Buick
      • Apr 21, 2008

I always felt that the column was a little "soft" meaning that the gear shifter is a bit sloppy and looseish feeling if that makes any sense. I'm guessing linkage wear?
      1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
      Stock Everything

Comment

The bushing in the linkage get worn and produce enough slop that the parking paw does not get set if you aren't paying very close atention. If you put the Mr. Shift kit in the valve body of the TC727 and drilled the passage to allow fluid to pump into the torque converter while in park, it will actually creep forward.
        Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
        Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• gsmikie
          Auto Trannie God
          • Feb 18, 2001

left the truck running with child in car ???? no E brake ???? WHY ?!?!?!? i dont understand why you did this
          I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• scotty1998
            350 Buick
            • Apr 21, 2008

Yes, I'm certainly not proud of this and the practice is very common in our little podunk area. Life's lesson learned. Someone was definitely looking out for us.
            Last edited by scotty1998; 06-28-2010, 08:09 AM.
            1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
            Stock Everything

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Cherokee Outlaw
              • Jan 10, 2006

I had the same problem with mine...bushings in the linkages were shot...got them at a local Chevy dealer but they had to do some lookin...
              -Jonny B.
              1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
              7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
              AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
              NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
              F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
              R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Wagoneer - Sold
              1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• scotty1998
                350 Buick
                • Apr 21, 2008

Are the bushings limited to the linkage under the hood or did you have to replace everything all the way back to the tranny? IOW, are they easy to get to?
                1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                Stock Everything

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                  Cherokee Outlaw
                  • Jan 10, 2006

idk about the 727 rigs but mine only has 2 bushings and real easy to get to from underneath
                  -Jonny B.
                  1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                  7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                  AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                  NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                  F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                  R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                  1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• scotty1998
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 21, 2008

Looks like I located the two bushings on the parts catalog. Sound like there's no HELP! part or replacement part # floating around then?
                    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                    Stock Everything

Comment

• gsmikie
                      Auto Trannie God
                      • Feb 18, 2001

check your eng/trans mount
                      I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• twmattox
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 24, 2003

Help part number 14041

Dorman gives auto repair professionals and vehicle owners greater freedom to fix cars and trucks by focusing on solutions first.

Contains the bushings for Chrysler for and GM transmissions...just used them myself about 6-months ago.
                        '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
                        '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
                        '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
                        '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Comment

• scotty1998
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 21, 2008

Sweet. Thank you!

Difficult job or will the old pop right out and the new pop right in?

Also, excuse my ignorance on this but is the tranny mount the same as the engine mount? I know there are two engine mounts in the front but is there a similar one for the trans? Just one mount? Several?
                          1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                          Stock Everything

Comment

• j20brett
                            360 AMC
                            • Jul 05, 2006

Just one rear trans mount. Its at the end of the trans just before the tcase.
                            Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• scotty1998
                              350 Buick
                              • Apr 21, 2008

Thanks!
                              1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              Stock Everything

Comment