X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 75J20
    258 I6
    • Apr 05, 2006

What equipment/accessories/modifications would you recommend as "Absolutely Necessary" for wheeling the trails in Moab? My '73 j2000 will have a 4" Hell Creek spring lift and SS Trxus tires in 33's very soon, and if I can score a nice F bumper cheap I plan on installing a 10K lb. winch, and I already have a Hi-Lift jack. I've never been there but would love to go. I'd like my truck to be prepared and have some time now and a little $$ to get it ready. Thanks.
    '73 J2000 360/t18a/d20/d44's
    '05 Mazda 3i 4dr 2.0L-I4/AT
    '06 Chevy Silverado 1500 4dr 5.3L-V8/AT For Sale!

Comment

• BRUTUS
      360 AMC
      • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by 75J20
      What equipment/accessories/modifications would you recommend as "Absolutely Necessary" for wheeling the trails in Moab? My '73 j2000 will have a 4" Hell Creek spring lift and SS Trxus tires in 33's very soon, and if I can score a nice F bumper cheap I plan on installing a 10K lb. winch, and I already have a Hi-Lift jack. I've never been there but would love to go. I'd like my truck to be prepared and have some time now and a little $$ to get it ready. Thanks.
      Spare alternator, spare battery, spare u-joints, spare starter, spare driveshafts, spare leaf packs (if they are an option) and a full assortment of tools.

Moab REALLY takes a toll on old iron. Best thing you can do is make sure all systems are in TIP TOP shape. Moab has a way of exploiting any weakness that your truck might have. I had cooling and charging issues last year in addition to broken motor mounts and a brake line, Michelle had a broken spring, Dustin had a faulty spring perch and a broken u-joint.
      "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
      Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
      Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• shimniok
        360 AMC
        • Jan 08, 2003

I'm up for week after... that worked out fine before --- but we need to make sure of any standing events like the hot rod show. Might dodge those as easter falls on different date each year.

I surely hope my rig will be ready for the trails by then. Actually I am kind of hoping it'll be ready by end of July...

Anyhoo... keep us posted... and color me there barring unforseen circumstnaces.
        Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
        1986 Grand Wagoneer "Troubled Child" ? tc.wagoneer.org ? Facebook ? KØFSJ
        Stock 360, TBI, 727 with TransGo, NP208, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MT, WT Axles, Lock Right & ARB, OBA

Comment

• Justin Kerns
          350 Buick
          • Feb 24, 2004

Could always camp at Ken's Lake and shower in the waterfall. That's enough to bust through any hangover in the morning!

And it's close to Steelbender....
          Justin
          79 Cherokee S 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

New issue of Fourwheeler mag has Moab writeups. We need to do Kanes Creek. Over 70 water crossings!!!
            1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
            1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
            The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• thunderpuppy
              232 I6
              • Jun 14, 2007

you really seem to dig splashing though water . just an observation.

Comment

• Gambler68
                Rabble Rouser
                • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by thunderpuppy
                you really seem to dig splashing though water . just an observation.
                acute observation. What gave it away?
                1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• 78oj
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 11, 2006

I didnt realize you all had a Moab section here on IFSJA. Its my favorite place to wheel.
                  I always camp out by Kane Creek when I'm in town. There are tons of free spots through the canyons and on the creek that I believe is Kane Creek. I usually go during the Cruise Moab event around Memorial Day. Great weather, minimal crowds and the LC guys are all pretty cool. Also, the stream right behind Potato Salad Hill is great for swimming/washing in, and if you like cliff jumping, you can hike up the stream about 15 min. and there is a great little swimming hole with a waterfall and 10'-20' cliffs. Potato Salad Hill, and swimming is a great way to end a dirty day.
                  Last edited by 78oj; 07-23-2007, 03:43 AM.
                  78 Cherokee "S"
                  401/th400/Atlas/d60/14bolt/Detroits/39" Krawlers/Hydro assist

Comment

• rockkrusher79
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 07, 2007

The Pueblo Crazies usualy try to go the week after EJS and all but one year have dry camped up by Kens lake with solar showers and stuff.
                    Fred

Comment

• BRUTUS
                      360 AMC
                      • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by Gambler68
                      New issue of Fourwheeler mag has Moab writeups. We need to do Kanes Creek. Over 70 water crossings!!!
                      Hopefully none with Moab "starter glue" mud huh?
                      "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTUS
                        Hopefully none with Moab "starter glue" mud huh?
                        HAHAHA! NExt time we won't pull em out and clean out the starter!
                        Krista - High Priestess of Our Lady of Eternal Combustion
                        77 401 Wag "Phoebe" ~ 77 401 J20 "Artemis" ~ 76 401 SOA Wag "Luna"
                        The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...

Comment

• Ronson
                          258 I6
                          • Feb 06, 2005

Does anyone here go on the Jeeps Unlimited web site? They go the week after EJS and they are a good bunch of guys. Mostly TJ guys but I'm ok with that! The car show usually falls later and this being an early Easter it shouldn't be a problem. The last time I went we watched the Jeeps go by for an hour or so on Saturday and brought our mountain bikes on the trail so that we could watch the carnage without getting trapped on a trail. The trails were very clean and well marked the week after and the locals were pretty mellow after the havoc the week before. I also got some smokin deals at the vender thing!
                          "Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal"-Albert Einstein

Comment

• BRUTUS
                            360 AMC
                            • Dec 06, 2005

I think the general concensus is that Moab is moderately crowded every day of the summer. I know colorado4x4.org has postings all the time of everyone's Moab trips. I think it won't be a big deal unless it is the same week as EJS.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                              Señor Jackhead
                              • Aug 21, 2002

This is just my opinion... I would prefer to keep the gathering we have in Moab focused to FSJ enthusiasts. Once you get about 10 or 12 FSJeepers together you get a variety of things that can happen to slow down decision making on where, when and how we are doing trails. I don't mind off roading with the other Jeepers, but as far as an un"organized" event goes, I don't think we need to be joining up with any other groups.

This year was the first time that we got more than a few FSJs together in Moab around Easter. I would personally like to see the Moab FSJ gathering grow to be something like the Ouray Invasion as far as numbers go. That has been between 12 and 25 vehicles.

Thanks for listening...
                              Flint
                              Ran when parked.
                              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                                Murphy's Law Poster Child
                                • Dec 03, 2003

So what all should be done to get an FSJ Moab ready? By this weekend just about everything that can break(and has) will be replaced save for the suspension, but that's next.
                                You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                                '88 GW
                                '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

Working...
                                X