360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Brizio
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Apr 11, 2008

Mobil 1 10-W30.
      brizios.com
      Small Scale Jeeps
      Brizios

Comment

• mattparliament
        327 Rambler
        • May 13, 2004

the manual that comes with the jeep says 5w 30 when cold, and 10w30 when hot so that's what I do...
        1976 Cherokee 401 Quadratrac
        4" Rusty's Spring lift 31" tires
        All MSD ignition system
        EZ EFI status: Running Smooth!
        1999 Dakota Seats
        2000Tahoe Console
        Powertrax No-slip lunchbox rear locker
        Amp meter delete
        Two Wire 94Amp Alternator upgrade

Comment

• svining
          350 Buick
          • May 16, 2011

Great Googley Moogley!

Simply put...there's no or little zinc in new car conventional oils per EPA ...your old car needs the zinc it was designed for (extra lube). The diesel Oils still have some last I heard so thats why guys use those. I heard that Castrol off road bike oil has some zinc yet.

New Synthetic oils are superior to conventional oils and these days there is not that big a price differential..especially considering you leave them in much longer...I go one year or 10,000 miles. The added bonus is that they are also highly detergent.

I went to great lengths to see that my motor is tight and my pump is fresh so I have great pressure. The new cars want 5-20w (ford), it gets into every little nook and cranny. So if your motor is not tight it will be a little leakier especially with the detergent.

I've heard people swear that synthetic oils will arrest almost all wear on moving parts, thin oils increase milage, get to where they need to be fast on start-up. So in my mind I have frozen my 360's wear at 140,000 miles. I will probably do a few short milage oil changes if it looks like the detergent is deslugging the motor in a big way. Just my way of thinking...there is a good website from engineers about oil research. Presently running mobil 1 ...(5-30)...75psi cold 60psi warm running and 40 psi at idle with a rebuilt pump last week before 20psi less across the board.

Originally posted by 1jeep4me
          Never ending discussion on oil, I LOVE IT! Its always good to hear what you can about oil.

In my 911 I use 10 quarts of royal purple 20w50 synthetic. I truly believe in synthetic. I am also a pilot and I trust synthetic in aircraft thus my life.

When it come to weight it just depends on so many other things such as,
          mileage on engine
          Heat/average temperature in your area
          Average trip length
          Frequency your willing to change oil.

Personally my rebuilt engine required straight 20 weight break in oil then 20w50. The engine builder recomended this.

Personally, in Texas, i think 20w50 syn or dino is prolly the best to use. I also think if money is no object I would also use an oil cooler.

additives are great, I have not heard of adding zinc. I certainly cant hurt, but as with any oil arguements the end result is in time and mileage. I am not certain this board or users have been able to rack up enough miles with a certain brand of oil to actually see or make a call on whats best.

I have seen where the old oil additive, ash, has clogged up oil passages.
          Last edited by svining; 01-08-2012, 06:04 AM.
          Flashlight
          "I started with nothing, I still got most of it left"
          1982 GW,Stock, No Emissions Equip.
          Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150

Comment

• Jeepguyp
            304 AMC
            • May 07, 2005

zinc

thats right. NO MORE ZINC in Rotella or other diesel oils. Mopar reformulated...cats on Cummins now. so I use synthetic Rot. in my Cummins....and either that or Mobil 15-50 syn. in my AMC engines. I think the syn. benefits make up for lack o zinc, so I dont slowly eat the camshaft. I have a guy here who sells "muscle car oil"...for older flat tappets like our V8s. conventional.oil...with zync already there. My Dad was getting it for the Avanti, but I talked him into Synthetics
            AMC V-8 FOREVER
            1976 Cherokee Chief 360\4-spd(soon to be auto\ Q-trac)
            1977 CJ5 "Lulu"
            360\5-SPEED GRANNY\DANA300\ DANA 44s
            DETROIT \POWERLOCK 4.10
            37" tires, and LOTS other stuff
            77 J-10 401\Q trac "Thadeus"
            64 Stude Avanti 289 R2---ALIVE!
            91 Dodge W350 5.9 Cummins
            64 Avanti#2(R1)...Under construction

Comment

• Randyre
              232 I6
              • Dec 20, 2011

STP for small engines, in the Red bottle has ZDDP in it still. Also O'Riellies oil addative still has ZDDP. Or you can go for $7 qt Bradd Penn which is still at around 1400PPM ZDDP
              "Brutus"
              69 Gladiator w/ Utility Box
              SP Code Buick 350-4V, HEI Ignition
              Front - GM 10 bolt w/Front Disc Brakes and Warn hubs
              Rear - GM 10 Bolt 8.5"
              Custom front bumper with B-17 Bombay winch conversion

The Story: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150072

EMS Helicopter Pilot in Midwest US.
              http://www.lifeteam.net

Comment

• rreed
                350 Buick
                • Aug 21, 2006

So, if we're supposed to have ZDDP in our old AMCs, what are we supposed to do? Or is it zinc we're supposed to have? Where do we get it? And why is it important?
                47 Willys
                75 CJ-5
                81 Scrambler
                76/79/80/81/85 J20 (all the same truck)
                86 Grand Wagoneer - FOR SALE!!!
                96 ZJ

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Comment

• svining
                  350 Buick
                  • May 16, 2011

Just compromise..Do it my Way!!

ZDDP, Zinc, Leaded Gas, Ash, are all extra lubricant additives in fuel and Oil. Synthetics are slipperier, stick to parts better (sheeting) etc. Forget the old Conventional Oils, they wouldn't have needed those additives if they lubricated all that well.

Mercedes Recommends mobil 1 at 10,000 mile increments. As far as what the shop manual recommends....my shop manual is 30 years old and Synthetic Oil wasn't around then. Like someone said...its backward compatible and exceeds original specs. Try buying Dexron that my manual recommends...its Dexron/mercron lll/lV now and exceeds those old specs, and is backward compatible.

My waggie is worth more then a Mercedes...just ask Marneus. lol and it gets Mobil 1....could I get paid for this ad?

Originally posted by rreed
                  So, if we're supposed to have ZDDP in our old AMCs, what are we supposed to do? Or is it zinc we're supposed to have? Where do we get it? And why is it important?
                  Flashlight
                  "I started with nothing, I still got most of it left"
                  1982 GW,Stock, No Emissions Equip.
                  Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150

Comment

• cccamoj10
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 13, 2011

rebuilt 258

I have just installed a rebuilt barn find motor, it took some time getting all those Mud-dobbers out of every open bolt hole & tube, It was rebuilt about 10 years ago and was set aside for a 360 swap. There was about a cup of water (condensate) in oil pan and a few tablespoons in each piston, but a good prelube saved the walls. I no longer have to worry about touching the back of the truck, or wiping the "Mosquito ControL" tags off tailgate.
                    I'm going synthetic after break-in and was wondering about the 'Oil Filter Magnets' I have seen advertised. and what about the PTFE Teflon Holy Grail of additives. are they DOA?
                    'OLE MULE' 81 J-10, 258 (.040), T-177, NP208, amc20, 33's,Warn 8072 w\ Warn bumper & JSO pushbar, w/ Porsche Deflector, Camowrap MAX 4D.
                    83 J-20, 360, 4spd w/ Granny low, NP208, "Mudder in Law"
                    'GERTRUDE' 90 GW 360 turbo400
                    03 Mustang conv. "The Gingermobile"
                    68 Mustang 302 Hink's high speed parking problem

Comment

• drcom
                      258 I6
                      • Oct 02, 2011

90 weight gear oil

I use straight 90 weight gear oil so it will stop leaking !!!!!
                      1970 Wagoneer Custom (9/1969)
                      Original Arizona Jeep
                      Buick 350/TH400/Dana20
                      Early model with razor grill
                      Spring Green exterior (original)

Custom series interior

Comment

• Jeepguyp
                        304 AMC
                        • May 07, 2005

STP

I couldnt get my Dad to stop putting blue-bottle STP in our old 77 Olds(R.I.P. , now in China in a smelt).... but STP has paraffin(wax)... accumulative
                        AMC V-8 FOREVER
                        1976 Cherokee Chief 360\4-spd(soon to be auto\ Q-trac)
                        1977 CJ5 "Lulu"
                        360\5-SPEED GRANNY\DANA300\ DANA 44s
                        DETROIT \POWERLOCK 4.10
                        37" tires, and LOTS other stuff
                        77 J-10 401\Q trac "Thadeus"
                        64 Stude Avanti 289 R2---ALIVE!
                        91 Dodge W350 5.9 Cummins
                        64 Avanti#2(R1)...Under construction

Comment

• rreed
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 21, 2006

I've seen what happens when paraffin builds up in engines. NOT pretty, and engine rebuilders throw a screaming fit when they find it. Didn't know STP engine treatment had it in it.

I'm not driving a Mercedes, I'm driving a '76 360 and '81 258 (not at the same time, of course) both AMC. I would like to make sure I'm running the proper oil to help them live a long and healthy life. The 360 leaks too much to pour out expensive synthetic on the ground. The 258 will get freshened up w/ all new seals and gaskets but just because it's "synthetic" does it mean it will have everything the engine needs?

Last I recall was that Dupont threw a screaming fit over people putting Teflon in their motors via those oil filters that came out w/ it in there about 15 or so years back. They said something about "do not put Teflon in an internal combustion engine, it does not belong there." I try to be wary of snake oil, myself.

I'm also curious about the oil filter magnets, though for the price tag I'll just bust up an old speaker magnet and stick the chunks to the side of the oil filter one of these days. Figure surely it couldn't hurt...
                          47 Willys
                          75 CJ-5
                          81 Scrambler
                          76/79/80/81/85 J20 (all the same truck)
                          86 Grand Wagoneer - FOR SALE!!!
                          96 ZJ

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Comment

• 95steel
                            327 Rambler
                            • Aug 12, 2002

Originally posted by rreed
                            I've seen what happens when paraffin builds up in engines. NOT pretty, and engine rebuilders throw a screaming fit when they find it. Didn't know STP engine treatment had it in it.

I'm not driving a Mercedes, I'm driving a '76 360 and '81 258 (not at the same time, of course) both AMC. I would like to make sure I'm running the proper oil to help them live a long and healthy life. The 360 leaks too much to pour out expensive synthetic on the ground. The 258 will get freshened up w/ all new seals and gaskets but just because it's "synthetic" does it mean it will have everything the engine needs?

Last I recall was that Dupont threw a screaming fit over people putting Teflon in their motors via those oil filters that came out w/ it in there about 15 or so years back. They said something about "do not put Teflon in an internal combustion engine, it does not belong there." I try to be wary of snake oil, myself.

I'm also curious about the oil filter magnets, though for the price tag I'll just bust up an old speaker magnet and stick the chunks to the side of the oil filter one of these days. Figure surely it couldn't hurt...
                            Rick,

Your in Tejas now, run rotella and you and your engine will be happy. If it gets cold long enough (Dec-Feb/March) run rotella synth 5w40 for colder months.

Most oils are a parifin based oil, people blamed crapy pvc designs and bad maintenance on oil. Yes some oils are better than others, not going to start that arguement... Our engines will require oil changes more often if used for short trips because the engine won't be able to get warm enough to boil out condensation (what causes most sludge build ups). I am not a big believer in oil additives, I'd rather buy better oil.

Adam
                            What we do in life echoes throughout eternity

Comment

• codyyy
                              258 I6
                              • Nov 08, 2010

I haven't ran my old engine long enough to know the effects of what oil to use, but I put in 10-30 as that is basically what it says to use in the Haynes manual I have. I might decide to put STP or Lucas Oil Break-In for the zinc content but I'll hold off for now, I'm keeping it simple.
                              Looking for one

Comment

• Herk
                                350 Buick
                                • Jun 12, 2006

Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic in EVERYTHING.

I don't worry too much about oil pressure, I have the relief valve set at only 45 PSI on my Gladiator. I am more concerned about how fast I get pressure (circulation) on cold starts, how soon it drops to the regulated pressure when warm, and how well it maintains regulated pressure.

Viscosity is RESISTANCE TO FLOW, more is not better. Also since the oil pressure tap on our engines is typically upstream of any bearings, that high pressure may be indicating that oil isn't getting to where it's needed.
                                There are 2 rules to success in life...
                                Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
                                2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

Working...
                                X