Floor mount to hanging gas pedal swap - anyone have pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNW69Waggy
    232 I6
    • Oct 15, 2016

Floor mount to hanging gas pedal swap - anyone have pics?

I'm wanting to change my 1969 Wagoneer to the later style hanging gas pedal. My floor rotted out where the original pedal mounts, taking the ball mount with it. I have the gas pedal, auto trans kickdown switch, and throttle cable from a mid '70's-ish FSJ ready to go in.

I read all the previous threads on this topic and people mention having to drill new holes for the pedal mount as well as make a new hole for the throttle cable to feed through.

I'm wondering if anyone that has done this swap on an older FSJ could share photos showing where your pedal mounts and where you made new holes? One prior thread did have some photos posted but unfortunately they are all dead links now so nothing shows up. Even a photo of where the hanging gas pedal mounts in relation to the brake pedal, etc. in a later FSJ that came with a hanging gas pedal stock might be helpful.

One thing that I have not seen discussed is that the hanging pedal's throttle cable has a square end where it secures to the firewall, where the original cable has a round end- how did you guys that have done this swap deal with that? I suppose I could drill a hole and then make it a square with a hand file, just wondering if that is what others have done or if I am totally overthinking this.
    '69 Wagoneer, Empire Blue / rust, Buick 350, TH00, Dana 20, Dana 27/44, stock & original
    '91 XJ Laredo 4dr, 4.0L/AW4, 4.5" lift, 31" BFG's, etc
    '02 WJ Limited, 4.7L/QD, 2.5" lift, 31" BFG's, etc
  • Mikel
    • Aug 09, 2000

I did that in my J300. Had to drill a few holes but it was very straightforward.
    1969 M715 6x6
    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• 44BZ
      304 AMC
      • Dec 10, 2009

I put a hanging gas pedal in my 68 also. There were pics of it in my build thread, but those are all dead thanks to Photobucket. I can get a photo uploaded tonight maybe if no one else does before.

I didn't have an original throttle cable so I stepped up to a Lokar universal type, which has worked really well for me. I think the pedal bracket matches one or two existing holes, I can't remember. But the firewall plate interferes so you'll either have to notch that slightly or what I did is just stack some washers behind the bracket to take up the slack.

Once you get in there and start looking at it I'm sure you'll see how things line up. It was a pretty easy swap.
      Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• 44BZ
        304 AMC
        • Dec 10, 2009

Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• PNW69Waggy
          232 I6
          • Oct 15, 2016

Thanks for the help. The photos are super helpful. I had the same thought about using one or two of the original pedal mounting holes and either notching the firewall plate or using washers to level the pedal bracket.

Did you route your throttle cable through the original hole? That's the main thing I'm stuck on at this point. It looks to me like it would work but I read some other threads where people said they had to make a new hole to route the throttle cable through, so I don't know.
          '69 Wagoneer, Empire Blue / rust, Buick 350, TH00, Dana 20, Dana 27/44, stock & original
          '91 XJ Laredo 4dr, 4.0L/AW4, 4.5" lift, 31" BFG's, etc
          '02 WJ Limited, 4.7L/QD, 2.5" lift, 31" BFG's, etc

Comment

• 44BZ
            304 AMC
            • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by PNW69Waggy
            Thanks for the help. The photos are super helpful. I had the same thought about using one or two of the original pedal mounting holes and either notching the firewall plate or using washers to level the pedal bracket.

Did you route your throttle cable through the original hole? That's the main thing I'm stuck on at this point. It looks to me like it would work but I read some other threads where people said they had to make a new hole to route the throttle cable through, so I don't know.
            I think I drilled a new hole for the throttle cable. If I remember right isn't off by much, but just enough.

Comment

Working...
            X