• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • offthebeatenpath
    232 I6
    • May 31, 2019

Tailgate hinge mounting screws? '65 J200

So I pulled off my old rusty tailgate this afternoon, it's pretty toasted. Well, the bottom of it is. I'm still debating whether I'm going to attempt to repair it by replacing the entire bottom section with some tubing or make something out of wood.

In any case, the phillips head screws that hold the tailgate hinges to the truck were totally stripped out. I wound up drilling them out 1/4" deep til the hinges popped loose. I couldn't see an easy way to get at the backside of these, does anybody have a trick for this?

Yes, I did pull off the access cover inside the bed at the taillight, and all i found were wasp nests and some leftover padding from my bench seat.....

• ddversatile
    232 I6
    • Oct 08, 2017

If I'm not mistaken the screws thread into a welded nut in the stake pocket.. May be very very hard to get at may have to weld a nut to them and use heat
    1968 Jeep Gladiator J-3000 327 Vigilante V8, T-18 transmission, Dana 20 Transfer Case (Twin Stick), Dana 44 full float in the front and semi float 53 in the rear. 4.09 axles
    1972 GMC 1500 basket-case (300$ buy )

Comment

PBLaster then use reverse drill bits before Squared easy outs. Might get lucky And the screw gets loose during the prep.
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
      X