X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

Fuel Filler Tube

Ok, the filler tube and breather (they connect right next to each other) on my J10 are both cracked and have started to leak on me. I cannot find a replacement anywhere!

Has anybody had to replace these before?
  • robselina
    304 AMC
    • Feb 26, 2003

these are the metal ones right? what about just JB welding them? The topic came up on the e-mail list not too long ago, might want to ask there too.
    Rob

Comment

• Stuka
      • Jan 21, 2001

nope, these are the rubber lines going from the filler spount to the tank. The a breather line that goes up into the side of the bed. If it was steel I would have JB welded away

Comment

• Merc69
        304 AMC
        • Sep 03, 2002

I haven't looked at the J-10 but on the Wag the ends are two different diameters. I could not find any fuel rated hose that had the different sized ends. I would up with a metal splice to link the two hoses together. Definatly a PITA.
        Merc69/ Bruce AKA G.O.D. (Grumpy Old Dude)
        "PsyOp" 87 Grand Wagoneer, 360, Powered by Propane, NP-208 t-case, Dana 60 front 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker, Corp 14 bolt 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker. Alcan Springs up front, Chevy 63", Hydraulic Steering

Under Construction: 4 link rear suspension, Klune-v and Ford 205 transfer case

Comment

• twisted frame
          350 Buick
          • Apr 01, 2003

I'll put the part # of the fuel filler hose up here tomorrow. Took me a long time to find the right kind.
          Mike
          1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
          44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
          Now in black primer.

Comment

• illegalFSJ
            304 AMC
            • Jun 03, 2002

The rubber fuel filler neck for pre '80 J-trucks is one of those items that is impossible to get, as far as I can tell. I was forced to buy a cracked used one because it was better than the one I had on there originally.
            Oops, you have an '81. Does that still have the big (2.5 inch) filler or the smaller (1.5) inch filler? (measurements are approximate). I think the smaller ones are easier to locate. If it's not molded into a weird shape, you may be able to use stock fuel filler tubing from a parts store?
            Good luck.
            "Well, what gears do you have? If you have 2.72s in there still, a blown big block with jesus himself working the gas pedal couldnt get the rear tires to slip." -Mavawreck

1977 J10, shortbed, 360, T18a 4-speed, D20, 32\" A/T tires, Warn hubs - Forest Service Green

Comment

• Stuka
              • Jan 21, 2001

it is the smaller tubing for sure. it has some 90 degree bends in it though. If it wasnt for these it wouldent be a big deal. But i doubt I could bend tubing of this size into and angle like that without it pinching itself.

Comment

• Geeeep
                304 AMC
                • Nov 02, 2002

I went to an industrial hose shop and had them match up something close in fuel rated hose. The right place should even be able to put a bend in it for you.
                Dave Pitts, located directly over the center of the earth!

GW - 87 GW 360/4bbl/727/208 Vinyl floor, manual windows, no woodgrain
                Find someone to haul your Jeep here: YT Hauling Schedule

Comment

• Stuka
                  • Jan 21, 2001

i would drive to drive a few hours away to have something like that done though

Comment

• twisted frame
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 01, 2003

Sorry, I have the larger dia. tube.
                    Mike
                    1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
                    44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
                    Now in black primer.

Comment

• momerath
                      230 Tornado
                      • Apr 22, 2003

I just spent the better part of three weeks looking for this same hose for my '73 Wag. They don't exist. I wound up buy 1-3/4" fuel-rated hose and putting hose clamps around it to keep the worst of the kinks out. Still have to go slow at the gas pump, but it beats having gas running across the parking lot...

Comment

• The Donzi
                        327 Rambler
                        • Dec 11, 2002

I just replacd the fuel filler hose and had to get a rubber shop to cut me a piece with 1" ID with a coiled wire insert to prevent kinking, it worked out pretty good. Only cost 10.00 with two hose clamps.
                        1979 Cherokee Chief <br />360,400,1339,44,14ff,SOA,<br />Hydro assist,44044\'s, 63\" chevy rears, Dual electric fans, 35\"SX\'s on hummer rims Rhino lined interior, f/r reciever hitches, Warn 9000i<br />Edelbrock intake, truck avenger<br />Engle cam, chopped, caged

Comment

• Stolen76
                          350 Buick
                          • Dec 13, 2001

I got one for something, bought it as a NOS factory part. Breather is on the wrong side for me though.
                          76 Wag, 360, TH400, 3.55\'s<br />Q-Trac P/T, 16%OD, 2\" AAL<br />Uniroyal LT265/75-16\'s on 16x7\'s

Comment

• letank
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jun 03, 2002

for the 74 wag , i got the breather tank hose (like 3/4) at a truck repair plant..... and did not check if they had the larger one..... it is still holding... good San francisco foggy weather keep it all cool and soft... did i say soft

Michel
                            74 wag
                            Michel
                            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Stuka
                              • Jan 21, 2001

My J10 came fromt he desert. So the steel is all great, but the rubber is all dry rotted out.

I will have to draw a diagram up of it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X