• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Etcetera
    Today my goal is to fix the 2 inch section of bad drip rail and sand and paint the outside of the roof.
    Repainting my roof has been on my to-do list for 5 years now LOL!

Your project is looking good!
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Etcetera
      258 I6
      • Mar 09, 2010

Originally posted by babywag
      Repainting my roof has been on my to-do list for 5 years now LOL!

Your project is looking good!
      LOL, I know how that goes.

Paint will have to wait till another day, the rail is taking longer to fix than I hoped. Had to cut more out to get the rust.

I'm also having second thoughts about the green paint. I'm kind of thinking of white for the roof and almond for the body now. We'll see.
      Eric
      La Habra, CA
      75 Wagoneer

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

White was what I settled on for a roof color to try and combat the heat issue...
        I have seen several 60's era wags with a white roof, and it looks good IMHO.

Maybe someday I'll get around to doing it?
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Etcetera
          258 I6
          • Mar 09, 2010

Well, the drip rail is fixed I guess. I'm not 100% happy with it, but I don't want to make a 3rd attempt either, so it's staying. This is primarily a camping/trail rig, no need to get crazy with the body work. Ended up fabbing a 5 inch section to replace the rusted section. I'm so spoiled living in inland So. Cal. I really hate fixing rust.
          Eric
          La Habra, CA
          75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
            258 I6
            • Mar 09, 2010

Here's a pic. Looks ok I guess. A little finessing with a DA and it will be better.
            Attached Files
            Eric
            La Habra, CA
            75 Wagoneer

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

To secure the foam did you use spray adhesive or tape to hold it?

Comment

• Etcetera
                258 I6
                • Mar 09, 2010

Originally posted by rocklaurence
                To secure the foam did you use spray adhesive or tape to hold it?
                No, the foam board is quite stiff. It's held up by the 3 bolt in braces and the front and rear are slipped under the metal lip that runs all the way around.

In the front I might attach a new support from the forward most cross support to the front lip, right above the mirror. That section is the largest unsupported area. Even there I think it's probably OK without glue.
                Eric
                La Habra, CA
                75 Wagoneer

Comment

• jsc7002
                  230 Tornado
                  • Mar 07, 2009

Good looking project for sure! and some awesome deals! I vote for the 14 bolt over a D60, I know they are big and heavy and hang down but they are just bullet proof axles!
                  1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
                  Dana 44/ FF14B, 4.10, SOA, 108" WB, 37" MTs, SBC 350, SM465, NP205

1981 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
                  AMC 360, TF727, NP219, D44/ AMC20

Comment

• Etcetera
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 09, 2010

Originally posted by jsc7002
                    Good looking project for sure! and some awesome deals! I vote for the 14 bolt over a D60, I know they are big and heavy and hang down but they are just bullet proof axles!
                    Yeah, I went with the 14 bolt. Beef. I shaved some already, just with a sawzall. I haven't decided if I'll go nuts and take it apart and really shave it. Just taking that lip off should help alot. I found one writeup on pirate with an extreme shave and it had more clearance than a stock Dana 44. Maybe if/when I regear.
                    Eric
                    La Habra, CA
                    75 Wagoneer

Comment

• jsc7002
                      230 Tornado
                      • Mar 07, 2009

Originally posted by Etcetera
                      Yeah, I went with the 14 bolt. Beef. I shaved some already, just with a sawzall. I haven't decided if I'll go nuts and take it apart and really shave it. Just taking that lip off should help alot. I found one writeup on pirate with an extreme shave and it had more clearance than a stock Dana 44. Maybe if/when I regear.
                      yeah I think I have seen that thread, I just shaved mine so that the lip was gone and it was all smooth on the bottom.
                      1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
                      Dana 44/ FF14B, 4.10, SOA, 108" WB, 37" MTs, SBC 350, SM465, NP205

1981 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
                      AMC 360, TF727, NP219, D44/ AMC20

Comment

• Etcetera
                        258 I6
                        • Mar 09, 2010

Decided to finish welding all the holes in the body BEFORE painting the roof, or anything else. I'm thinking that's smart.

I still have 12 holes on the drivers side to weld. 11 smallish ones and 1 that I will need to make a patch panel for. I think there was a CB antenna there or something.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Etcetera; 08-01-2010, 07:41 PM.
                        Eric
                        La Habra, CA
                        75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 09, 2010

All the holes are filled on the outside of the body. Other than some sanding and maybe a little touch up it's ready for paint. I'm moving on to the inside first though.

There are a ton of holes to weld, lucky they are all small and very quick and easy. I'm welding some seams, all the holes, and a couple fatigue cracks. Going to grind everything smooth, sand, then prime the floor. Then spray in bedliner.

Any ideas for headliner? I'm thinking of just using cheap automotive carpet that my neighbor has a roll of at his carpet store. Some work needs to be done if that's the case. Otherwise I'll have to hunt down a nice headliner board that is local.

I don't have pictures, but I cut the first door panel from a sheet of thin plywood. It has a nice void free finish on both sides, about 1/4" thick or a touch less. Going to stain, varnish and screw them in. I think I have the chrome separator strips and will use those and carpet the bottom 6-8 inches of each panel. I'm thinking of using rubber press on edge trim on the edges, not sure yet.
                          Attached Files
                          Eric
                          La Habra, CA
                          75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
                            258 I6
                            • Mar 09, 2010

Unfortunately this build is on indefinite hold. Destroyed my welder today, forgot to remove the ground clamp from the bumper before pulling out of the driveway. Welder rear ended me and destroyed my bumper as well when I realized what happened.

Since I'm not working, it's going to be a while, a long while before I can weld again.
                            Last edited by Etcetera; 12-01-2017, 03:28 PM.
                            Eric
                            La Habra, CA
                            75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Josh D
                              360 AMC
                              • Jan 17, 2002

Bummer dude, that sucks!!
                              '71 J2000 Gladiator
                              '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                              '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Etcetera
                                258 I6
                                • Mar 09, 2010

Yeah, I was pretty mad at myself. It's not quite as bad as I thought, still going to cost a couple hundred to fix it. The coupler that the torch mounts too is broken, the plug on my extension cord is broken, the ground clamp is broken, and a part of the wire feed is bent.

I got the wire feed working, but I might order the replacement part for it anyways. I bought a new plug for the extension cord, and a new ground clamp. Just need to call around to find the best deal on the coupler and beat a couple of the sheetmetal pieces back into shape. I'll have to wait a couple weeks to order the coupler.
                                Eric
                                La Habra, CA
                                75 Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                                X