• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich88
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 20, 2008

Double flare tool a joke

I'm replacing brake lines, and had to transfer the 9/16" flare nuts to the new lines at the MC and proportioning valve. I decided to try doing things right and use a double flare tool.

After dozens of attempts following directions as well as my own experimentation I simply could not get the intended result. Each and every time I did step one, I ended up with distorted oblonged inverted crimp instead of a nice even round one. So I was compelled to go back to the scary practice of using a single flare....which has worked well in the past. But still....

So what's the secret with double flaring?
    Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
    88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
    "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."
  • Chumley360
    350 Buick
    • Sep 06, 2007

Patience, swearing, and practice. Also those ones with the double wing bolt jaws don't hold the line worth a darn. I've got a Snap-On one that probably does the best out of all the ones of that style I've used/had. Now I've got one of the fancy Mastercool hydraulic ones at work and it's awesome. But it's not worth the price for the casual user.
    1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• ProTouring442
      327 Rambler
      • Mar 15, 2011

Is it one of the ones in a little red box? If so, they suck.

Mastercool makes a good manual tool, part number 70092. You can find them on Ebay or other tool sales sites. I've had good luck with ToolDiscounter.com, and they have them for $45.

You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by ProTouring442
        Is it one of the ones in a little red box? If so, they suck.
        Yes.

Supposedly the Rigid tool works well for a non-hydraulic tool.

You can also try using Nicopp/Cunifer line, which is softer and seems to flare more easily.

I've had good luck with the inline tool now supplied by Cal-Van, but it only works with 3/16" tubing http://www.cal-vantools.com/p-162-au...ring-tool.aspx
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• ProTouring442
          327 Rambler
          • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by tgreese
          Yes.

Supposedly the Rigid tool works well for a non-hydraulic tool.

You can also try using Nicopp/Cunifer line, which is softer and seems to flare more easily.

I've had good luck with the inline tool now supplied by Cal-Van, but it only works with 3/16" tubing http://www.cal-vantools.com/p-162-au...ring-tool.aspx
          That one by Ridgid looks very nice. I think I'll have to pick one up.
          You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

YUP

The rigid works well still need a little patience though.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

304 AMC
              • Apr 08, 2001

I recently bought the HF kit in the red box, had to do flares for my fuel lines, I didn't follow the directions and extend the tube through the clamp the required distance and I cut that on off and one flare was slightly oval.

There may be better tools but it worked fine fore me.

Making consistent bends in multiple parallel lines is a lot harder than good flares, I bet the electricians can bend brake and fuel lines a lot better than most.
              David
              76 NT Cherokee
              83 CJ7
              05 Frontier CC 4x2

Comment

• bufurd
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 13, 2008

Helps to spray a little WD40 or some kind of lube on it too...
                Current fleet
                Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
                Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
                Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
                Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
                07 JK Wife bought new...
                13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

The cheapies use to say "mount in a vise for best results". I think the one I have still does.
                  Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                  X