BBD 2 Venturi, 4.2/6 cylinder running issues???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wagoneerlove
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 05, 2018

BBD 2 Venturi, 4.2/6 cylinder running issues???

I'll start by stating my 1982 wagoneer sat for sometime before I purchased it. Issues I'm having are once warmed up in the warmer weather (coincidence?), after 1/2 hr of driving, she will start to die, like its running out of gas. I'll pull over, have a smoke, fire it back up, and she's fine for another 1/2 hr. Less if I'm going 110 km's/hr or more. Now I've replaced fuel filter, ignition coil, starter solenoid. Plugs, wires, distributor, rotor are fairly new. Fuel and temp gauge are working and it's not overheating. I've also insulated the fuel line and filter. I'm kinda stumped and would appreciate any input.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

when it happens next time try to see if it is getting fuel in the carb and or spray some carb/brake cleaner to see if truck starts. if it has gas and does not start with carb/brake cleaner then you have an issue with the coil or distributer pick up under rotor or ignition module, to verify if after the truck quits you can carefully pull a spark plug wire off plug, insert a screw driver in and lay it on the motor so there is a gap of 1/4" to a metal surface and crank and check for spark. that will tell you if it is ignition related. or take to a mechanic.

Comment

• wagoneerlove
      230 Tornado
      • Jun 05, 2018

It's definitely getting spark and fuel. It's doesn't actually run out of gas. When I pull over and put it in park, I can rev it and it sounds fine, but in drive it sputters like it wants to die. Literally 2 mins later it's fine to drive.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

then it sounds like a vacuum leak, maybe the base gasket is cracked? Can also be low floats or fuel pump issue when hot. tough to diag unless in front of me, the best thing is run it to a mechanic.

Comment

• wagoneerlove
          230 Tornado
          • Jun 05, 2018

Yes, I understand. Thank you for replying.

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

I would also check the fuel pump for proper operation. There are instructions for this in the TSM using an inexpensive vacuum/pressure gauge.

Carburetors do not sit idle very well. Every new-old car I've owned I've rebuilt the carburetor soon after purchase.The BBD also suffers from plugged idle tubes, but this usually makes it stall at idle.

The BBD is the carburetor that everybody loves to hate - but they are likely not as bad as their reputation implies. An '82 may have the "computer controlled" version of that carburetor, where the "computer" changes the mixture using a stepper motor. Again, this is covered in detail in the TSM. Coverage in the TSM is good - I suggest you read the whole section and familiarize yourself with the function of this carburetor.
            Last edited by tgreese; 06-11-2018, 08:40 AM.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• wagoneerlove
              230 Tornado
              • Jun 05, 2018

Thank you for the reply. Yes I did a fuel pump test and it barely moves to needle. Maybe 2 psi. Manual says 5-6 psi so pump is getting replaced tomorrow. I've been reading the manual and it does have the stepper motor you mentioned. Hopefully my issue is solved with a new fuel pump because that carburetor looks complicated. I'd like to find a local carb RE-builder and have it RE-built. See how the pump works out first. Thank you for your reply.

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by wagoneerlove
                Thank you for the reply. Yes I did a fuel pump test and it barely moves to needle. Maybe 2 psi. Manual says 5-6 psi so pump is getting replaced tomorrow. I've been reading the manual and it does have the stepper motor you mentioned. Hopefully my issue is solved with a new fuel pump because that carburetor looks complicated. I'd like to find a local carb RE-builder and have it RE-built. See how the pump works out first. Thank you for your reply.
                Sometimes a bad pump can leak gasoline into the crankcase. I would pull the dipstick and look for 1) overfilled and 2) strong gas smell from the oil. If so, oil change too.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• newtojeeps
                  350 Buick
                  • Jun 28, 2006

Look to see if there is black goo running down your inner fender form the carbs computer.

Comment

• joe
                    • Apr 28, 2000

Fuel pump is a good start for your current prob but as Tim mentioned BBD's are notorious for being a crap carb. You can rebuild the carb yourself, just follow the instructions to the letter. It's a 2v so not very complicated...just weird. While your at it DO clean out the idle passages/tubes cause they will clog eventually and it will idle horribly. Some folks actually drill out the idle tubes to prolong re-clogging. IMHO the BBD isn't worth spending much money on. Save your money for a carb swap instead. I've had a few 258's with the BBD (key word is HAD). Love the motors, hate carbs. BBD's are a never ending/time consuming pile of grief. MC 2100's are a much better option and my favorite is the Weber 32/36. Neither will turn the 258 into a hot rod but both are very reliable.
                    Yours is the first BBD grief post I've seen in years. Thought by now they have all been smashed with very large hammers or resting on the bottom of the ocean? Do work through your weak fuel pump issue but don't assume it'll transform the BBD into a real carb.
                    joe
                    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• wagoneerlove
                      230 Tornado
                      • Jun 05, 2018

Well, the fuel pump was on its way. Would barely hold 2 psi when I tested it. The problem is still there, but not as bad. I have already cleaned the jets that are accessible through the top of the carb. What I've read and researched, sounds like it might be that stepper motor? Maybe, I don't know. Not too knowledgeable on carbs. Going to try and find a carb RE-builder locally, or get a different setup.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

I have an 83 CJ-7 with a BBD that is giving me fits. There is the "Nutter Bypass" that removes the computer control of the carb and distributor and makes the rig drivable again. I have absolutely no intention of putting any time into the BBD and am currently looking at one of my Rochester 2 barrels for a swap. And, for the last week I have been reading up on the motorcraft 2100 or 2150 carb conversion for the 258. Supposed to purr and get better mileage on top of running great. Beware of the tons of Chinese 2100's on ebay. And that Colorado guy on ebay who sells the 300 dollar Jeep specific kits also uses Chinese junk. For the 258 engine the 1.08 venturi with #47 jets is the way to go. Not the 1.02 or 1.14 or up. You would need an adapter plate available from Summit.
                        The BBD will consume your money with minimal gain back. I am not sure how Canada's laws are with this. But if you can you should consider another carb than the BBD. Maybe your fuel pump replacement will solve it for you.
                        Hope that is all it is there.
                        Melford1972 says...
                        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                        1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra
                        2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                        Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Consider electronic fuel injection. There are kits for both throttle body and multiport EFI for the 258. If that's too pricey, there is plenty of info about junkyard and/or roll-your-own EFI solutions online.
                          Tim Reese

Comment

• babywag
                            out of order
                            • Jun 08, 2005

I vote EFI conversion as well.
                            Holley has the 2bbl Sniper efi kit now, be a good investment on a 258 IMHO.
                            The XJ 4.0 injection setup can also be adapted.
                            Tony
                            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• wagoneerlove
                              230 Tornado
                              • Jun 05, 2018

So here's the latest on my stalling out issue. Fuel pump needed to be replaced so I did that, same issues. Through searching for vapour lock solutions, I stumbled across a forum which had a guy who was having the same issues with his jeep, same motor and carb. He plugged his return line on his fuel filter and he hasn't had a problem since. Gave it a try and problem gone. Engine even runs cooler according to gauge. So my question is... good idea or no?

Comment

Working...
                              X