X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeeping1974
    360 AMC
    • Jun 17, 2007

i've been thinking about replacing my bench seat with a set of seats from a wrangler so i think that i might be able to use just a normal twin stick setup seeing that there will not be anything over the hump. are most/all twin stick conversions the same? are there ones that i should stay away from? others i should be looking at?
    03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
    06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• dusty
      327 Rambler
      • Jul 20, 2006

depends on the tranny you have. for me i ended up cutting the twinsticks up and making them really short and taking all the bends out for use in my cherokee.
      Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
      The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• Carl Rasmussen
        350 Buick
        • Mar 11, 2004

Originally posted by JeepNOFEAR
        I'd go to pirate4x4 and search or ask there. Not that people here don't know but you'll get a lot more stories and opinions there.
        mostly stories, and expect to get flamed on pirate because most of them have nothing better to do.
        Carl Rasmussen
        No more cable bills
        Android TV box Full setup and configured $150 https://youtu.be/7bAm9RzIgms

Comment

• Casey
          • Oct 08, 2003

Originally posted by jeeping1974
          i've been thinking about replacing my bench seat with a set of seats from a wrangler so i think that i might be able to use just a normal twin stick setup seeing that there will not be anything over the hump. are most/all twin stick conversions the same? are there ones that i should stay away from? others i should be looking at?
          Currie sticks (CJ) on a 300 work well behind the 727. Almost in the perfect spot.

I dunno 'bout other trannys.

I traded my 300/727 for a 205 with the short 32 spline input. I have all but the doubler adapter at this point. 700r4/203/205 for me.
          1994 YJ
          1986 Comanche
          '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
          www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
          "Go forth and be a tool".
          Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
          This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• malodin
            304 AMC
            • Sep 03, 2004

jeepin, the only reason i made the shafts longer is because i wanted it to go through the stock location so i can place my big pan back on there and all i need is a normal twin stick boot off of ebay. if you look at the d20 that is in fsj's the shaft is about 10-12" long to get it coming out the same place i have mine coming out. i think mostly it will come down to what you choose more than any other reason.
            1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• jeeping1974
              360 AMC
              • Jun 17, 2007

malodin, i did notice that about yours. thats a good idea. what do you have for a tranny?

i haven't officially decided yet about it. i'll have to do some measuring to see where i'll sit. how long is the th400/np208 adaptor housing? once i know that i can figure out exactly where the shifters will be located.

Comment

• malodin
                304 AMC
                • Sep 03, 2004

mine is th400/208 adapter housing and d300. if you do it like that yours might sit slightly different due to it being a j-truck but i doubt it.
                1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• jeeping1974
                  360 AMC
                  • Jun 17, 2007

Originally posted by malodin
                  mine is th400/208 adapter housing and d300. if you do it like that yours might sit slightly different due to it being a j-truck but i doubt it.
                  it will probably sit the same seeing that the frames are all the same... i think . thanks for the help

Comment

• jeeping1974
                    360 AMC
                    • Jun 17, 2007

are all the 4:1 kits that say "tera low" the same? does one company make them and every one sells them? how hard is it to install? i am thinking about having my friend that is doing the output shaft in my tranny do this for me also. is it worth going with the 32 spline output shafts front and rear? should i think about getting a clocking ring?

sorry for all the questions.

Comment

• BRUTUS
                      360 AMC
                      • Dec 06, 2005

are all the 4:1 kits that say "tera low" the same? does one company make them and every one sells them? how hard is it to install? i am thinking about having my friend that is doing the output shaft in my tranny do this for me also. is it worth going with the 32 spline output shafts front and rear? should i think about getting a clocking ring?

sorry for all the questions.
                      A couple of companies make a 4:1 for the D300. I know JB conversions has them. Tera Low is a differnet company AFAIK. Not sure how hard it is... a shadetree mechanic shouldn't have any problem with them... May need a bearing press though.... not sure.

I think that going to 32 spline right off the bat is a good idea considering it is your t-case.... and it is vital to getting you off the trail. It really is up to you... how hard do you plan to wheel it?

I am not sure about the clocking ring... I think it is a good idea to have the option.... and considering your wheelbase, you might regret not having it down the road.
                      "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
                      Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
                      Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• scotty
                        • Jun 12, 2000

i spent about 1200 on parts and labor to get the TH400 built
                        i forgot that you had stated that earlier,and i can understand your desires to keep it after spending all that $$

if you still had a stock tranny,i felt it was important to know swapping the tranny out is a good option,so you could make a better,more informed decision.

but,as malodin said,im sure your friend can do the tailsahft swap without having to do a full rebuild.

sorry i wasnt payin attention
                        Last edited by scotty; 07-17-2007, 03:17 PM.
                        scotty
                        85 grand wagoneer
                        258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
                        38" TSL SXs
                        chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• malodin
                          304 AMC
                          • Sep 03, 2004

i forgot to mention that you have to leave one bolt out between the 208 housing and d300, then you can clock it any way you want. if you look at my pictures the t-case is pretty well stuffed up in there and is close to flat as can be.

Comment

• jeeping1974
                            360 AMC
                            • Jun 17, 2007

i certainly am not just gonna go out, mash the gas and hope for the best when it comes to wheeling. i believe in picking a line and taking it easy. i'll probably just get a rebuild kit, 4:1 kit, and twin stick ceonversion for now.

Comment

• malodin
                              304 AMC
                              • Sep 03, 2004

you might think about spending the money from the 4-1 low kit on the 32spline output shafts first, are you satisified with the q/t's low range? if so the d300 is within a few points of that stock. I know for my wheeling i am satisified with the d300's low range

Comment

• jeeping1974
                                360 AMC
                                • Jun 17, 2007

i know that the dana 300 is .1 lower (higher number wise) than the QT. i would like a better crawl ratio seeing that first gear in my tranny is 2.48:1 and i'm going with 4.10 R+P. that only gives me a finial crawl ratio of 26.23 where as the 4:1 kit will give me a 40.67. 4:1 and 4.56 R+P would give me 45.24 which would be better for most of the trails around here. once my tranny goes, i'll probably look into swapping in a manual, or see if there is any way to get a lower first gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X