• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andrew_lawson1
    232 I6
    • Feb 26, 2014

So I Bought a 91 GW Today

So about two weeks ago I posted a message asking for some good reading materials I could study before getting my Wagoneer in a year or two. Well, it looks like I jumped the gun a little bit. I bought this beauty today from California. A good friend handled the purchase and I am trying to set up shipping as we speak. Can't say I don't have anxiety about that part.

Some photos:

It's a '91 White with Sand Interior. Its got 108k miles and recently had the rear Dana 44 completely rebuilt. Possibly the most shocking thing about this vehicle is all of the switches and gauges work. Even the back glass and the overhead console items.

A trusted mechanic gave it a good inspection since I couldn't be there and gave it stamp of approval.

Some small issues we know of

- Two little rust spots. One at the base of the side window in the cargo area, and one right next to the antenna. I'll post pics of that stuff when I get it here in Virginia.
    - Front drivers side vent window has some issues, not quite sure whats going on there
    -Headliner is starting to sag
    -driver's seat is ripped
    -the seller included a set of Rancho RS44044 2.5" leaf springs in the deal that i'll install when I get it
    -leak in the a/c somewhere

So I do have some work to do. Now if I can only handle the wait for it to get here.
    '91 Grand Wagoneer Stock
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

I was eyeballing that one...did you get it for less the the $3300 asking price?

I debated calling and making an offer on it.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• vacaisle
      snide. snarky. grease covered.
      • Mar 18, 2013

One thing I've learned about jeeps is it smart to prepare for a new radiator, new alternator/wiring inspection, carb rebuild, and unless you're into restoration and preserving all the factory stuff get ready to pull most if not all the emissions equipment unless you need it for inspection. I say this because mine ran great when I got it then upon further inspection I realized all kinds of things were out of wack. Now it really runs great.
      That's a pretty sweet Jeep. It's cool that the rear end was rebuilt and you're getting some lift springs. If you change your mind on the lift let me know I'm in NYC and would love to help you get rid of them.
      89 Grand Wagoneer
      145,000 miles, TFI, MSD 6a

Comment

• andrew_lawson1
        232 I6
        • Feb 26, 2014

Yeah, I got it for less and to be honest I'd have paid more if I didn't have to pay to ship it cross country. You really just don't find them out here like that. At least not for less than $8k or so. I guess some people get lucky but I haven't seen them. Though I often wonder whether those people will ever sell them.

Plus my wife had her heart set on white with tan interior. That made it easier to get her on board.
        '91 Grand Wagoneer Stock

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Looked like a nice one, I've always wanted a '91.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• andrew_lawson1
            232 I6
            • Feb 26, 2014

Originally posted by vacaisle
            One thing I've learned about jeeps is it smart to prepare for a new radiator, new alternator/wiring inspection, carb rebuild, and unless you're into restoration and preserving all the factory stuff get ready to pull most if not all the emissions equipment unless you need it for inspection. I say this because mine ran great when I got it then upon further inspection I realized all kinds of things were out of wack. Now it really runs great.
            That's a pretty sweet Jeep. It's cool that the rear end was rebuilt and you're getting some lift springs. If you change your mind on the lift let me know I'm in NYC and would love to help you get rid of them.
            I'd send them your way but my guy said it could probably use some new springs, though it wasn't urgent. May end up being my first project.
            '91 Grand Wagoneer Stock

Comment

• draglink
              350 Buick
              • Aug 17, 2008

CONGRATS!! And I have to say your wife has excellent taste in color combos!!

Little side note : Our wedding anniversary was last weekend. Two Benz's stayed parked while she drove the GW. It is always our go-to vehicle, we love it and luckily so does my wife....she drove while I drank bourbon, now that's a great anniversary night!
              '86 GW 6" Rustys, 1 1/2" BJs shackles, 33 BFGs

Comment

• e_digg
                258 I6
                • Oct 26, 2009

Congrats and welcome from Falls Church!

Ed
                1991 Grand Wagoneer
                My 91 Phoenix Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                X