• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cu4whln
    304 AMC
    • May 16, 2008

That looks very nice!

Question : Your sideview mirrors.. are those aftermarket?
    Brand? I am looking for better side mirrors.
    It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
    1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
    1972 J4000
    1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
    2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
    2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Driver side is a factory remote mirror, passenger side is a really crappy cheapie from McParts.

Our factory Driver side remote mirrors are the same as a late 60s chevelle or Camaro. My original driver mirror was broken and I bought one from a 68 Chevelle On eBay and they were totally identical. Then I just found an after market passenger side mirror that looked the same as the Stock 68 Chevelle passenger mirror. Or maybe it was 68 Camaro? Either way, I just searched for 68 Chevrolet remote mirror.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Rusty76
        258 I6
        • Jul 15, 2018

Looks great. I knew we talked about it previously but having a SD sticker on your Jeep is mega cool !
        1976 Jeep Wagoneer
        Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
        Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Rusty76
          Looks great. I knew we talked about it previously but having a SD sticker on your Jeep is mega cool !
          Thanks! Some times when I cruise it I feel like a total has-been! LOL!
          I mentioned a big project coming up that is not that fun in an earlier post:

WHHHHY????? Because I still do not have sufficient oil pressure. Something is wrong inside and I need to fix it. If I had a 360 I would drive it til it threw a rod, then put a hemi in it but this 401 crank/block is too valuable and damaging it has me scared. I hope to have it back on the road well before Thanksgiving, maybe even by the end of this month. I am going to do the most of my posting on theamcforum.
          theamcforum thread
          I pulled the engine on Saturday. Today I just stripped the front drive and intake off. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to finish inspection and find out what needs to be done. I am hoping it is something as easy as swapping in some bearings that are .001 undersize or a bad lifter but we'll see.

Other than the low oil pressure, it has been running GREAT! starts right up cold or hot, no hesitation, etc. The belt hasn't come off or squealed in a few thousand miles, either. I only have one weeping oil leak on it and that will get fixed while it is apart, too. I will also put my headers back on when it goes back in.

Fingers crossed it's something cheap and easy....
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

Did you check the bearing clearances when you were building it? If you covered this earlier I hope you don't mind my asking.

Think this through carefully before diving in. I mean the order of investigation, not whether to proceed or not. You don't want to destroy evidence.
            Last edited by SJTD; 10-11-2020, 09:49 PM.
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
              304 AMC
              • Jul 25, 2016

rang,

you got Any idea why your photos will not show for me any longer,....

I miss seeing the updates,...

and don't want to hassle you to email them to me each time,....

glad you got some victories on the Cherokee....

dave in NC
              SOLSAKS - dave
              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
              1982 J-10 Fleetside
              1988 grand wagoneer
              2004 RUBICON jeep
              Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
                Did you check the bearing clearances when you were building it? If you covered this earlier I hope you don't mind my asking.

Think this through carefully before diving in. I mean the order of investigation, not whether to proceed or not. You don't want to destroy evidence.
                My machinist measured. Mains are .0023 plus or minus .0003 and rods were .0026. I am going to verify that when I get there. I don't mind you asking at all. This thread is now 14 pages long.

Yep, going through step by step, taking lots of pictures. Most will be posted on theamcforum but some will show up here, too.
                Originally posted by SOLSAKS
                rang,

you got Any idea why your photos will not show for me any longer,....

I miss seeing the updates,...

and don't want to hassle you to email them to me each time,....

glad you got some victories on the Cherokee....

dave in NC
                Hm. I don't, Dave. Weird. I see them on my personal laptop, work laptop, and my phone. I use Chrome on both laptops and safari on my phone.
                Today I inspected all the valve train. No smoking guns. Also inspected the pump. There were some "issues" there but no enough to account for all the lost pressure. I am scared to open the bottom end now. Posting up on theamcforum. So far I have found a minor "issue" with my galley plugs and a moderate "issue" with my pump. I think I am about 1/3 done with my inspection. Tomorrow I inspect the cam and crank/rods.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Rusty76
                  258 I6
                  • Jul 15, 2018

Maybe not fun put still cool pulling out an engine and figuring stuff out.
                  Good luck on the low oil pressure and keep us posted on the fix.
                  1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                  Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                  Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 09, 2009

Dang Rang!
                    You need to install a chain motor from your ceiling with all the in and out on that engine!
                    Last edited by asphaltrockdweller; 10-12-2020, 08:02 PM.
                    (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

14 pages long...heh heh heh... You are just getting started! Well I too am patiently waiting on the oil pressure solution. The door paint work sure looks great. They never really seem to be done it seems. Good to catch up here.
                      Melford1972 says...
                      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                      1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra
                      2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                      Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• levelhead
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 04, 2016

Did you check oil pump gear to end plate clearance ? Should be close to zero.
                        1988 GW (2)
                        1980 Cherokee Laredo
                        1979 Wagoneer
                        1976 J10 401
                        1977 Wagoneer 401
                        1977 J10 4 speed
                        1969 J3000 (2)
                        1955 CJ3B
                        1964 Wagoneer

Comment

• SC/397
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by levelhead

Rang-a-stang, is that the timing cover that I detailed for you?

If it is, it should be near zero with a gasket. When you tear it down, lay a straight edge across the oil pump gears and see if they stick above or, below the housing.
                          Check it like this.
                          IMG_4049 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Yes, .0023" bearing clearance is a little too much for a street engine but not horrible. It should be no more than .002" and .0015" would be more desirable.
                          I don't think you can get .001' under bearings for AMC engines any more but a good machinist could resize the rods and line hone the mains to get the clearances that you want. The key thing is the machinist has to measure the bearing clearance as they are torqued in the bearing housings.
                          Last edited by SC/397; 10-13-2020, 06:41 AM.
                          The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Rusty76
                            Maybe not fun put still cool pulling out an engine and figuring stuff out.
                            Good luck on the low oil pressure and keep us posted on the fix.
                            Yeah, would be more fun if it didn't cost $100 in gaskets, fluids, kitty litter, and other crap every time I had to do this.
                            Thanks! I can use all the luck I can get.
                            Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
                            Dang Rang!
                            You need to install a chain motor from your ceiling with all the in and out on that engine!
                            Way to much truth there! LOL!! Took me less than 2 hours from pulling the truck in the garage until the engine was hanging up there. I have too much experience with this.
                            Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                            14 pages long...heh heh heh... You are just getting started! Well I too am patiently waiting on the oil pressure solution. The door paint work sure looks great. They never really seem to be done it seems. Good to catch up here.
                            I always appreciate seeing you on here, too, Kaiserjeeps. Get us some M715 pics posted!!
                            Originally posted by levelhead
                            Yep. More below.
                            Originally posted by SC/397
                            Rang-a-stang, is that the timing cover that I detailed for you?

If it is, it should be near zero with a gasket. When you tear it down, lay a straight edge across the oil pump gears and see if they stick above or, below the housing.
                            Check it like this.
                            [picture]
                            Yes, .0023" bearing clearance is a little too much for a street engine but not horrible. It should be no more than .002" and .0015" would be more desirable.
                            I don't think you can get .001' under bearings for AMC engines any more but a good machinist could resize the rods and line hone the mains to get the clearances that you want. The key thing is the machinist has to measure the bearing clearance as they are torqued in the bearing housings.
                            It is the same one! On inspection of the gears, I can see I had a contaminate go through the pump. I have significant scratches and pock marks on the cover and the gears (pictures on theamcforum thread here: click here). I am REALLY hoping my oil filter(s) caught whatever it was that damaged the gears and cover but won't know until I crack open my mains and rods later today.

I did plasti-gauge the pump gears and they are at .001 without a gasket (again, pics on theamcforum thread). It was hard to read the plastigauge because of the scratches on the cover.

I have seen a couple threads on theamcforum where folks used Pontiac rod bearings to get a .001 undersize. If I need to, I will investigate further. There is another member over there that says he has a set of .001 under size mains but I am not sure if he is willing to sell.

I figure I must have a couple problems because if it was just the clearances, my pressure would be low but not this low. So I am hoping it is the pump, the clearances, and 2 oil galley plugs that were barely leaking.
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SC/397
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 01, 2010

Plastigage is not a good way to check the end clearance.

Lay a straight edge across and us a feeler gauge like I show in the picture.
                              The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by SC/397
                                Plastigage is not a good way to check the end clearance.

Lay a straight edge across and us a feeler gauge like I show in the picture.
                                rgr, will do. Probably while my crank and block are at the machinist.
                                My bottom end is trashed. I am pretty sure I found where my oil pressure was going: main bearings have heavy gouges in them. More pictures at theamcforum but in summary all of my mains basically look like this:

Whatever went through my pump, went through my mains, too. This is gonna hurt (the wife beating me, not the cost....although the cost is gonna hurt too).
                                Tomorrow I will pull the heads off, Pull the oil pressure sensor, the motor mounts and flexplate. I hope I can find a decent machine shop.

Maybe my assembly lube was contaminated, maybe something got into my engine when I was adjusting rockers, maybe I spilled something into the oil pan when I was changing out the timing cover or maybe I just missed cleaning something when I was doing assembly? I don't know, but this sucks.
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X