X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pb
    350 Buick
    • Aug 28, 2003

AFI sucks. Only good if you want to learn everything about EFI in order to troubleshoot their system and you want to be called a liar when they send you the wrong stuff, and incorrect pin instructions.
    Paul
    1975 Wagoneer DD
    360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
      350 Buick
      • Jan 18, 2004

Originally posted by pb
      AFI sucks. Only good if you want to learn everything about EFI in order to troubleshoot their system and you want to be called a liar when they send you the wrong stuff, and incorrect pin instructions.
      This is the same way I felt about one of the companies out there (You know who). I had horrible experiences and I never even purchased the product. No response to e-mails for purchase inquiries. Outrageous lies about why things were backed up and orders could not be processed efficiently etc. Thankfully I didnt order, however a guy up the road did and just as I thought it was a nightmare to get his product and when it did arrive it was not as it should have been.
      88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
      89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
      2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
      1. TBI
      2. New fuel tank
      3. AW-4 Transmission
      4. Aluminum condensor
      5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
        304 AMC
        • Apr 17, 2002

Holley Pro-Jection

Been running a Holley Pro-Jection Throttle Body since 1995...no problems except for the Throttle Position Sensor needs to be replaced every several years or so, and don't ever let it get wet!!!
        Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper

Comment

• BigRedChief
          350 Buick
          • Feb 27, 2005

I went the DIY route with lots of help from http://www.binderbulletin.org.

If I had it to do over again I would have spent the time to pull the parts myself to know exactly what they came from. I got a "kit" from someone and it turned out it had V-6 sized injectors. I had the hardest time figuring out what was causing it not to run well. A lot of things ended up getting replaced that probably didn't need to be because I couldn't and didn't inspect the parts myself before they were pulled too.

Another thing... Don't expect any magic bullet for fuel economy with EFI. If anything it will get worse since a lot of carbs tend to run a little on the lean side. My mileage actually got worse. What I was after and what EFI accomplished beautifully is great drivability, starting and idling.
          1979 Cherokee Chief - SOLD.
          AMC 360 -TBI, TFI, TH400, QT, D44's
          BJ's 4" & ProComp ES3000's
          15x10 black steel wagon wheels & 33x12.5 Kumho Venture MTs

Comment

• Dr.E
            258 I6
            • May 11, 2005

First Fuel Injection TPI

I used the First Fuel Injection TPI set up.
            They basically improved on the GM TPI MPFI system.
            The customer support was fantastic!
            I live in So.Cal. and the owner of the company came to my house,(He lives in
            Wisconsin), to help with the initial start up because he was visiting a relative in the area. Wow! taking time from the family vacation to help a customer!
            This is a true story! I buggered up some gaskets...Ken Shuneman sent me some new ones no extra charge! Ken even burned me an extra PROM for my spare ECM no extra charge! The system performs flawlessly!
            Great product great price...not much more one can say.
            Seek out the authority to share his knowledge, be enlightened and fix it right the first time.

Comment

• coiler
              232 I6
              • Jan 07, 2006

Get the eddy mpfi system and never see tail lights again even in a mild built 401. Simple to setup runs like a new efi car response is insane QT didn't like it after new tranny was installed oh well next weekends project.
              1980 Chief, MPFI 401 thorley headers, 35" cooper stt 4" superlift 3" exhaust.

Comment

• Hutti
                232 I6
                • Apr 11, 2006

Next time I go DIY

I bought a Howell mostly because I liked the fact of it having a custom wriring harness and all the parts are new and tested. I did have my share of problems with the system but that was mostly because of a bum engine. The quality of the kit was great but left some things out that I would like to have next time.

Now that i had to figure out how to burn my own chips (thanks Bill and Binderbulleting!) I realize what limitations you have with that type of a packaged system. Now I am adding N/P switch wires, AC/Fan on, and speeds sensors to fine tune. Additioanlly, I will have to gut my Dizzy to add spark control.

Chaning the computer to the chips is really no big deal. I had never done before but completed it successfully in a little over an hour. Let me tell you, burning your own chip makes ALL the difference.
                Check out Binderbulletin.org and moates.net
                1987 Grand Wagoneer, ARBs F&R, SOAed, rear disc conversion & Hydroboost, EDL performer intake and cam, Howell TBI, CS144, front & rear customer tube bumpers, Warn 12k

Comment

• Chris in Idaho
                  230 Tornado
                  • Dec 21, 2008

Adapter Plates

You DIY guys, where do you get your adapter plates for the 258? If anybody needs one please let me know.
                  www.tbiadapterplates.com

Comment

• 86_J10
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 21, 2001

Haltech ecu

It looks like almost everybody is using TBI, I did come across somthing interisting the other day, I am working on a MPFI system for a Comanche that I plan to run at Bonneville. I was thinking of using a Megasquirt, but at the moment it does not support sequential spark or fuel. So i was looking at some of the aftermarket ECU systems, and finally seteled on using Haltech. But in working with them, I fount out that they have a computer that replaces the GM TBI computer. the model number is E6GMX. The advantage is that you don't have to screw around with eproms, and the computer will actually tell you whats going on. Here is a link to the info http://www.haltech.com/index.php?opt...d=53&Itemid=49 So if you already have a GM TBI system or even a wiring harness, you can plug this computer in and get a fully tunable system. It lists for about $890.00 but I am a dealer, so if you PM me i can probably help you out on the price.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

Ouch. That's pretty pricey. For $329, you can get a flash conversion setup and programmer for the GM ECM from Moates.
                      Ethan Brady
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• 86_J10
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 21, 2001

True enough, but the Haltech will also give you real time data and can work with a wideband O2 sensor. I think the Megasquirt is the best deal, I am working on a harness to make it plug and play with the GM TBI. $400 for the CPU or a lot less if you wnat to put it together yourself.

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 17, 2002

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                          The only downfall is that you have to know what you're doing, and it takes a long time to understand and tune (plus soldering together the ECM takes time if you opt to go that route).
                          This is too funny!

Lord forbid that we actually know what we are doing...doh!
                          Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                            All Makes Combined
                            • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                            Ouch. That's pretty pricey. For $329, you can get a flash conversion setup and programmer for the GM ECM from Moates.
                            My MegaSquirt II came to a grand total of $262 (including shipping) for the ECU. Add $45 for the test stimulator (simulates an engine) if you are unsure of your soldering skills.

Parts are mostly standard, automotive-grade (high temp) off-the-shelf electronics.

The code is open-source.

24MHz, 16-bit processor (versus the GM 8Mhz, 8-bit proc) for fuel control up to 1 microsecond

supports single or dual MAP sensors for real-time barometric correction (SWEET!)

supports single or dual narrowband or wideband O2 sensors

direct timing control (you do NOT need any HEI module to trigger the ECU, so reliability is increased) via a variable reluctor, hall sensor, optical trigger, or even POINTS. Yes, POINTS.

...and it can be reused on just about any engine (not just TBI Chevy/AMC V8s) with little if any circuitry mods. All this with the ability to tune the car directly from your laptop while the engine is running, or set it to "autotune" and just drive around and let the wide-band oxygen sensor do the work. $262.

Originally posted by Joe Guilbeau
                            This is too funny!

Lord forbid that we actually know what we are doing...doh!
                            Just a little e-sarcasm there! But like I've said before, I totally understand that some people don't want to mess around with tuning EFI - they just want something they can bolt on and be done with, so I understand why those people might not want to go the DIY route. However, from what I have read, I get the feeling that no matter which way you go, you'll end up having to learn a thing or two about EFI.
                            Last edited by PlasticBoob; 04-14-2009, 12:59 PM.
                            Rob
                            1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                            Click for video

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                              • Mar 20, 2005

Wow! A dead thread revival if I ever saw one!
                              Ethan Brady
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Geminiroq
                                258 I6
                                • Apr 06, 2007

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                                My MegaSquirt II came to a grand total of $262 (including shipping) for the ECU. Add $45 for the test stimulator (simulates an engine) if you are unsure of your soldering skills.

Parts are mostly standard, automotive-grade (high temp) off-the-shelf electronics.

The code is open-source.

24MHz, 16-bit processor (versus the GM 8Mhz, 8-bit proc) for fuel control up to 1 microsecond

supports single or dual MAP sensors for real-time barometric correction (SWEET!)

supports single or dual narrowband or wideband O2 sensors

direct timing control (you do NOT need any HEI module to trigger the ECU, so reliability is increased) via a variable reluctor, hall sensor, optical trigger, or even POINTS. Yes, POINTS.

...and it can be reused on just about any engine (not just TBI Chevy/AMC V8s) with little if any circuitry mods. All this with the ability to tune the car directly from your laptop while the engine is running, or set it to "autotune" and just drive around and let the wide-band oxygen sensor do the work. $262.

Just a little e-sarcasm there! But like I've said before, I totally understand that some people don't want to mess around with tuning EFI - they just want something they can bolt on and be done with, so I understand why those people might not want to go the DIY route. However, from what I have read, I get the feeling that no matter which way you go, you'll end up having to learn a thing or two about EFI.
                                Sounds like a sweet deal....I am in So. Cal too!

Are you able to pass smog with this setup and did you source all your parts except the megasquirt?

This sounds like something I can do and I want to learn as much as possible about this. system.

Thank you...

Comment

Working...
                                X