• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poley
    360 AMC
    • Mar 22, 2003

recomend setup carb intake? which 1 to run

Well that is it, finally got some money together so I can buy a intake and a carb for my 360, I was thinking about the Holley Truck Avenger, Sounds cool as hell any one have expirence with these? also what intake to run? please help, I AM DIEING TO RUN THE WAGGY IT HAS BEEN DOWN * MONTHS NOW!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!!?!I CAN'T TAKE IT!!!!!!!!
    Fullsized Gets it DONE!!!!
  • Josh D
    360 AMC
    • Jan 17, 2002

I'm running the Edelbrock Performer/Holley Truck Avenger (670 cfm) and I'm very pleased! I did have to drop four jet sizes from stock on both primaries and secondaries to get the mixture right. I'm at 5300 ft elev. I've nosed it up and down in attempt to get it to sputter, but runs smooth as silk even in those conditions. I haven't had it in much of a sidehill condition though.
    '71 J2000 Gladiator
    '95 YJ on Waggy axles
    '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• MrFurious
      258 I6
      • May 05, 2005

I"ll be interested in seeing what's posted here, as I'm still debating between an Edelbrock AVS Off-Road carb and the Holley Truck Avenger to go on top of the Edelbrock Air-Gap I snagged last week.

Being I haven't fiddled with a carb in a good 10 years, the Edelbrock's ease of tuning is appealing to me, but at the same time it's much easier to find someone to tune a Holley. Pricing on the two is about the same: $360 for the Holley (www.BuildYour4x4.com) and $350 for the Edelbrock (www.summitracing.com), so that won't be a deciding factor.

I do like how Edelbrock offers tuning kits for their carbs. Not sure if Holley has something like this for the Truck Avenger, so that may be a plus in Edelbrock's favor.

Barry Grant (Demon Carbs) is also coming out with their own version of off-road carbs designed specifically for us mud and rock hounds, but I suspect it will be little more than a slightly tweeked Truck Avenger with a $50-75 bump in price.

[ June 10, 2005, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: MrFurious ]
      God, Guns, & Jeeps....what else is there?
      Jim B.
      1979 CJ-5
      304 V8 - T150 - Dana 20
      D30/D44 Wide-Trac axles w/4.10 gears
      Ox Locker in rear & rollin on 35's

Comment

• Poley
        360 AMC
        • Mar 22, 2003

Holley Truck Averger is sopossed to be easily ajusted without haveing to remove it. That is what they say.. Also I'm not a carb or engine guy for that matter does it matter what the carb ws designed for I.E ford, chevy, dodge? or does the intake acount for that?

Comment

• MrFurious
          258 I6
          • May 05, 2005

All you need to worry about is that the carb's mounting flange matches the one on the intake for the most part. You can however get adapters to go from one style to another, but why bother with the added expense?

The other difference in carbs is the throttle and kick-down linkage used by the different auto makers. These brackets are relatively cheap and easy to change, so it isn't a big issue. Holley and Edelbrock both offer the needed brackets as bolt-on accessories for their carbs, and several other companies offer them as well.

As for what exactly you'll need I can't say yet, as I haven't done my conversion. From what I've read however, usually everything will bolt right up to them as supplied, though you may need a taller throttle cable bracket.
          God, Guns, & Jeeps....what else is there?
          Jim B.
          1979 CJ-5
          304 V8 - T150 - Dana 20
          D30/D44 Wide-Trac axles w/4.10 gears
          Ox Locker in rear & rollin on 35's

Comment

• ibkukin
            232 I6
            • Feb 25, 2005

I have the Edelbrock manifold and carb setup on my '89 GW. It was almost set perfectly right out of the box. I have absolutley no regrets. Starts easy and runs like a champ. I still get 14mpg on the hwy too!

If you have an Advance Auto Parts in your area they will match any internet price you find. Just print it up and bring it to the store when you order. They had my stuff in the next day!
            91 Grand Wagoneer - Bone stock except for TFI upgrade.

Comment

• Poley
              360 AMC
              • Mar 22, 2003

If I were to use my AMC oem Cast Iron Spreadboar what carb should I get??????? and would I need an adapter somebody has got to be running this set up oem 4bbl spreadbore and what carb??

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 18, 2003

If you have the stock spread bore intake then you will need a adapter to fit both the holley and edlelbrock as they are both square bore. I just bought a truck avenger for my 401 I am building (just sent the money off today) I got mine from this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
                79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Poley
                  360 AMC
                  • Mar 22, 2003

do u know were to get adapter? or a part number?

Comment

• Josh D
                    360 AMC
                    • Jan 17, 2002

Trust me, you want the E. Performer. The ports on the stock intakes, even the 4 barrel, are much smaller than the head ports. The plenum on the stock intakes are also much smaller. Not to mention you'll shed 50 lbs. The Performer is a much better intake than stock and you will notice a difference in power on a stock motor.
                    '71 J2000 Gladiator
                    '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                    '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Poley
                      360 AMC
                      • Mar 22, 2003

does the holley bolt to the elbrock or does it need an adaptor too?

Comment

• Josh D
                        360 AMC
                        • Jan 17, 2002

Edelbrock is square as is the Holley. It bolts right up. Your tranny kickdown will bolt right up as well using parts from your original carb. You'll need to purchase the ball stud for the throttle cable. Napa has them. You can modify and re-use the original throttle cable bracket. It's really pretty much a bolt on deal. Remember to fasten the original pan under your intake to the Performer with the rivets provided and use a valley pan gasket (has to be perchased seperately, doesn't come with intake). I believe a carb stud kit comes with the carb.
                        '71 J2000 Gladiator
                        '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                        '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• GED
                          258 I6
                          • May 20, 2002

Here is a quick comparison of the Edelbrock performer EGR P/N 3731 (50-states legal) vs the stock manifold:

Found this Great website which details install of edelbrock intake + carb.

BTW, any recommendations on a Throttle Body to mount to the Edelbrock manifold ?

Thanks,

[ June 10, 2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: GED ]
                          Gilles-Eric
                          "La Goulue", '89 GW, reman. stock 360 with MSD6D & TBI, 727/229, 131K miles, 31x10.5 BFG AT.

Comment

• jode
                            JB Welder
                            • Apr 08, 2002

Poley - read this:

It explains in meticulous detail why you cannot run any other carburetor on a stock AMC spreadbore intake manifold without a custom fabbed adaptor (part # TRD-2199). The AMC intake/Motrocraft 4350 4v carb that came stock on some FSJs is a "spreadbore", but it is NOT the same as the "spreadbore" that almost every other person in the world is referring to. It is a funky, one-off, POS that (IMHO) is best off either left alone, or replaced.
                            An image is worth a 1,000 words?

Also, for when you do replace your intake, this:

may be of some use to you.

[ June 10, 2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: jode ]
                            No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• Poley
                              360 AMC
                              • Mar 22, 2003

thanks that is good info..

Comment

Working...
                              X