• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idower
    232 I6
    • Apr 20, 2000

Clunking going Reverse is normal?!?!

My old man was looking into an '88 GW. I noticed a LOUD clunking noise from the rear upon shifting into reverse. When i looked under the vehicle as it was shifted, it appeared as though it was coming from the rear end. Maybe it's a worn pinion bearing.

The guy who was selling it took it to his mechanic (he was going to do a brake job anyway). He said his mechanic told him that this was "normal" on Wagoneers with that sort of mileage (we're looking at 122,000 here)ans that it has to do with a sloppy design in both the tranny and the rear end.He said that his own GW (the mechanics that is) does the same thing and it only has 50k on it. "It's perfectly fine", the mechanic told him.

This clunk is loud as hell, and I KNOW it is not perfectly fine. I also know that the TF-727 is a very strong tranny, so sloppy tranny design doesn't jive with me.

My question is, does this in fact occur often in GW's? If so, can the rear end go on making this noise for a while? Anyone familiar w/ this particular problem, and know what the cause is?

Even with the problem the price is still right. I just want to know for sure what's up before my DAD buys a GW.

Thanks much
  • Veepster
    350 Buick
    • May 14, 2000

I have the exact same problem. any insight would appreciated!

Peace...................BartG
    Peace.............BartG<br /><br />The Green Flash!<br /><br />360ci Custom 4v TBI<br />TH400, Parttime QT with low, TFI Upgrade<br />Edelbrock Performer Manifold,<br />4\" skyjacker susp & 3\" body lift<br />Rancho 9000\'s 33x12.50 BFG KO\'s <br />8\" American Racing Baja Rims<br />Thorley headers, 3\" exh, Dyno Max<br />Infiniti power leather seats<br />Billet shift knob by Millerluck<br />50%Luxury Car 50%Tractor<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamgodspeed.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.teamgodspeed.com</a>

Comment

• porkchop
      Master of B.S.
      • Apr 17, 2000

There is a thread on here awhile back about this same problem. Have you checked the u-joints? You can also check the play in the rear end by taking off the e-brake (on level ground) and moving the drive shaft. There should be no excessive play. Look a few threads back to answer some more of your questions.

------------------
      1967 Wagoneer with orginal 327 w/Dual exaust, T-85 3 spd XMSN
      Stock axles
      D20 XSFER Case
      SPOA in the front with 4" blocks in the rear and Rancho add-a-leafs
      32X11.50 A/T's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."

Comment

• BigDaddy
        232 I6
        • Apr 09, 2000

I took my '89GW to the dealer &lt;shudder&gt;, a mechanic and my local 4WD shop and got the same answer at all three. They said that it is a design flaw in the rear end (and the t-case too) that causes this slack and that it's nothing to worry about. My 4WD shop said they'd rebuild it all and get as much slack as they could out, but that it would still clunk when going from N to R and N to D.

------------------
        BigDaddy
        '89 GW
        "Woodrow"
        BigDaddy<BR>\'89 GW<BR><A HREF=\"http://sliknot.servercentrix.com/bd/woodrow.jpg\" TARGET=_blank>\"Woodrow\"</A>

Comment

• 86wagon
          230 Tornado
          • May 23, 2000

I have the same problem with mine. I'm pretty sure my problem is the transfer case is worn.

------------------
          86 grand 4" suspension, 2" body, 33 12.50's, fuel injected, 3.92 axles detroit locker rear.
          86 grand 4\" suspension, 2\" body, 33 12.50\'s, fuel injected, 3.92 axles detroit locker rear.

Comment

• Baker
            258 I6
            • Apr 09, 2000

Check your transmission mount. Mine's making the noise, and one of the "legs" of the tranny mount is broke all the way through. Don't know if it's related, but definitely worth checking.

------------------
            Baker
            '84 Grand Wagoneer "B.U.F.F" (Big Ugly Fat... um...Fellow)
            360,727,229, 44 & 20 (3.31s), 30x9.5
            If you don't know what all those numbers mean, you shouldn't be here.
            Baker<br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/jeepwreck.html\" target=\"_blank\">\'84 Grand Wag, fixer-upper.</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/nova/\" target=\"_blank\">\'71 4 door Chevy Nova</a> Must sell so I can buy my dream car!<br />Email me for details.

Comment

• Gus Spaulding
              230 Tornado
              • May 10, 2000

If this Wag has a limited slip diff then the clutch packs could be worn out. This would allow the spider gears in the diff quite a bit of slop. Another symptom of this is a little raspy sound when making light turns.
              gus.

Comment

• Ralph
                Third Member
                • Apr 11, 2000

My '88 Wag's drivetrain is in perfect condition. The tranny was rebuilt a year ago by an AAMCO shop whose owner I trust; they let me check on it during the rebuild and while we were waiting to get a used transfer case. Well, I still get that clunk when shifting into reverse. I'm content to accept it as the nature of the beast.
                We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• Paul
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 12, 2000

My '86 GW made the same sound, especially after everything was warmed up. I never found out exactly what caused it, but when I replaced the Model 20 rearend with a Dana 60, the noise went away, so it must have been in the rear dif.

------------------

'86 GW "Warhorse:" 401, T-18, dana 20, Edelbrock intake manifold, Comp X-treme 4x4 cam. Dana 60 rear, Trac-loc, 3.73s, 33x12.5 Goodyear MTR's, HEI, Rusty's 6" lift, ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA#VII, KG6KUV

Comment

• irbob
                    360 AMC
                    • Apr 11, 2000

A clunken all the way goes mine too. Also growels/humms when accelerating and stops when I let off. Hmmmmmm they are beasts. Tell your dad to buy it and he will have plenty of time to play with his new toy. Gotta love something thats not made anymore. Have fun perspective FSJeeper.

------------------
                    83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder, Rancho RS 9000's.

[This message has been edited by irbob (edited May 25, 2000).]
                    Bob
                    83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
                    83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• andy d
                      Shade Tree Shaman
                      • May 06, 2000

my '83 ltd clunked gosh it was terrible.it was all the play in the various linkages in the driveline. i retired it @ 180k miles. more important than the d/line play on 80s wags is the frame rot in the left frame rail. best as i can tell the rot is caused by the sh**metal gas tank enclosure trapping road dust mud etc in the frame rail.i'm facing repairing the problem on my 4th one thi summer for inspection. just like the clunk, they all do it @ least where they salt the roads.good luck.

\'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• irbob
                        360 AMC
                        • Apr 11, 2000

Hay looky their, now your folder is on fire. Anyone else need a match?

------------------
                        83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder, Rancho RS 9000's.
                        Bob
                        83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
                        83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• Mark D. Stewart
                          230 Tornado
                          • May 28, 2000

My '86 GW does the same thing. The only other time any previous vehicle I have owned has ever done this it was the u-joints but when I replaced them on the GW, no help. Someone told me later it is the transfer case but from reading these posts I now believe its probably just a little wear in all those links adding up exponentially. In any case, I'm not going to worry about it. Too much other stuff to worry about with this vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                          X