X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Ha, I laughed out loud at the Greging something up.. That is funny. Hey congrats on the wedding. That is super news. The grill looks really good.
    Good things are happening down your way. Great to hear about it!
    Again congratulations! Good things are ahead.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

Is that clear or "chrome" powder? Looks pretty good.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
        Is that clear or "chrome" powder? Looks pretty good.
        It's Eastwood's chrome powder. I too think it came out pretty good. Not perfect, but literally nothing on this truck is so there's that... Mine was originally painted body color too, so clearing it was a non-starter...

Originally, I tried a chrome spray paint, but that proved to be a tragic substitute... Powdercoat isn't exactly like chrome but way closer and waaaaay tougher than the chrome paint
        '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
        (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• SOLSAKS
          304 AMC
          • Jul 25, 2016

love the truck

powder coat looks great

max is cool !!!
          (what an expression)
          and Sophie is cool too

I know they have a good home.

dave in NC
          SOLSAKS - dave
          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
          1982 J-10 Fleetside
          1988 grand wagoneer
          2004 RUBICON jeep
          Benson, NC

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Eastwood chrome powder is also what Sadie is wearing up front on the razor grille.

It has a nice mild pearl effect in it. I took a catalog to the powder coater and asked him to use it. The silver he was going to use just was not right.

Greg, what temperature do you have to be at for it to flow and do it's thing?
            How long do you keep it in the oven?
            Melford1972 says...
            I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
              327 Rambler
              • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
              Eastwood chrome powder is also what Sadie is wearing up front on the razor grille.

It has a nice mild pearl effect in it. I took a catalog to the powder coater and asked him to use it. The silver he was going to use just was not right.

Greg, what temperature do you have to be at for it to flow and do it's thing?
              How long do you keep it in the oven?
              Al, I'll double check but I think it was 400 for 20 minutes. I followed whatever the package recommends, I believe.

Comment

• Stumplake
                230 Tornado
                • Nov 13, 2012

Looking good Greg.I was gonna chrome my grille and bumpers
                But yikes,very pricey.
                time to do a little research.
                Congats on the engagement!!!!
                Wade

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by Stumplake
                  Looking good Greg.I was gonna chrome my grille and bumpers
                  But yikes,very pricey.
                  time to do a little research.
                  Congats on the engagement!!!!
                  Wade
                  Yeah, totally understand, I couldn't justify it (and I can normally justify a lot, lol) on a truck that I originally bought for $500-ish... the oven was $100 on craigslist and I spent another $15 on the 10/3 cable and the 220V plug plus a few moments understanding the wiring necessary to convert from a 4-wire hard-wired to a 3-wired plug-in setup. Powder coat gun from eastwood wasn't bad and now I can powdercoat whatever I want!

And thank you! We're pretty excited!

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                    327 Rambler
                    • Dec 04, 2016

Greg,
                    " But you're probably right and I should just leave well enough alone... "
                    Its lookin man don't f### it up.

This is from the guys that does everything 3 or 4 times
                    1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
                    Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• toddthewelder
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 30, 2010

careful spraying it on heavy, it will run right off of there when it starts flowing out. ask me how I know.
                      80 cj 5
                      87 GW
                      Another 87 GW
                      88 GW
                      99 Wrangler
                      07 Dodge 3500
                      67 Chevy SWB
                      2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

You guys are lucky to have the set up's you have. Think how much you are saving in the long run. 4 wheels runs 200 and up here. Greg you have answered my questions. Don't worry about any more detail.
                        Melford1972 says...
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jan 15, 2016

Holy cripes, it's been a while

Ok, so first things first, I GRADUATED MECHANICAL ENGINEERING! Last Saturday was completely surreal, standing with the guys and girls who I've been struggling with for 4 years, all in our caps and gowns. Phew. What a relief.

So, for some time, I've been contemplating how exactly I wanted to fabricate the bed of the truck. I've had, more or less, a general idea, but I've learned many times over that I need more than that if I want to avoid building things twice... That being said, my design for the truck bed looks like this.

And here's an exploded view of it so you can more or less see how it goes together.

The inspiration for getting this done NOW is that I needed the stand from the garage that was currently holding the fenders I'd painted the better part of 2 years ago. So I decided the best place for them to sit, temporarily, was on the tires of the truck.

Thought to myself, "Man, this silly little plywood truck bed has got to go, it simply doesn't do the truck justice (which is a pretty low bar considering all the work was done by ME... lol). Not to mention the fact, that with no fenders, I was perpetually terrified that I'd throw a rock through my back window.

Here's some of the pieces of 1 1/2 square tube cut and laid out.

Once I had that all done, I got out my square and my corner jig and started tacking them all together. The finished product is extremely solid.

Here it is mocked up in its new home, and then I couldn't help but mock up the fenders to try and get an idea of the proportions of the whole thing when it'll be done.

So now, I've got to get the measurements all made for how high off of the various parts of the frame the bed mounts need to be. It would've been great if I'd had a set of bed support rails handy, but I think what I've got in mind will be fine for now. Forgive me if I don't run a FEA (finite element analysis) stress study on the design for now. My brain hurts and I start work in a little over 2 weeks. So now I get to "play" for a little bit...

I'll post more soon, I'm sure there will be widely varying opinions on the finished product, lol.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

You got your ME in 4 years?! Wow! That's impressive! I know an ME is considered a 4 year degree but of the probably 30 engineers we have hired since I have been here, 20'ish of them were MEs and only one got her degree in 4 years. Everyone else takes 5. Good on you!!!

I think your design looks great and will compliment your truck well. Do you know what wood you would use for the sides? What is the bed bottom made of? It looks like you have a plywood base with some sort of cover over it.

Some ideas (I won't offended if you use none of them, feel free to laugh):
                            1) make sure you make a way to tie stuff down. Some pad eyes on the top or bottom, somewhere, maybe? But the way it is now, if you throw a suitcase, cooler, or box in there, its going to slide around and scratch up the wood and possibly come out.
                            2) are you going to run a tailgate? if so, you will probably need to add some more structure to the back to hold it.
                            3) I would also add more strength to sides where the fenders will bolt on. As you drive down the road, they will wiggle and could crack your welds.
                            4) You should make a spare tire mount somewhere before you install your bed. Whether that is under the bed or on the side of the bed (my vote is for the side of your bed, forward of the driver side fender) it would be much easier to incorporate it into your design before you get much further.
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                              327 Rambler
                              • Dec 04, 2016

Congratulations on the degree!!
                              1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
                              Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• SJTD
                                304 AMC
                                • Apr 26, 2012

Yes, congratulations. Took me nine years but I liked to take a lot of classes twice. Some even three times.
                                Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Working...
                                X