• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPSwapMohn
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2004

Where do you get your Glass?

I dare venture into the FSJ-PRIS universe uninvited..

You all may have seen my WT wagoneer build currently happening. Looking at my window glass, I have realized it is going to look really crappy with new shiny paint..

Primarily, I need the actual door window glass for all 4 doors on a 86-91 GW with electric windows. If I understand correctly, the manual glass is a little different, and I am not sure if the glass changed when the electric window mechanisms changed.

So, where do you PRIS folks source your windows? Am I left roaming the junk yards hoping to spot an un-scratched window on a rusted out rig?
    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
    50 CJ3A
    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

the glass is the same for flextrack or cable style lifters

i have all 4 but shipping would be expensive, the glass is good shape no "scratches" but normal life wear, any good glass shop can polish them for you - have you thought of that?

steve
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

If yours are intact a glass shop can use them as patterns and cut you new ones.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by joe
        If yours are intact a glass shop can use them as patterns and cut you new ones.
        Yep. And it doesn't cost as much as one would think. I've had a local glass shop here cut me some glass for around the house a few times. i am usually pleasantly surprised at how cheap it is.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• men in black
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 08, 2006

Had a local shop cut a 30% tint 3/16" rear window, 50% is too dark if you have tinted side windows. Had to lower it to backup.

1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
          Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
          Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
          Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
            304 AMC
            • May 01, 2004

We will try a local shop. There are some deep grooves cut into a couple of the windows that i don’t think will polish out.

The 30% tint is good to know! We talked about it, but i wasn’t sure how dark to go. Don’t want the PD to pull me for too dark (happened on a truck i bought a few years back locally that I bought with tint already applied).
            One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
            http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
            95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
            50 CJ3A
            77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• SJTD
              304 AMC
              • Apr 26, 2012

It'll cost more than typical window glass.

It's thicker, you want the edges ground and they need to have it tempered after cutting/grinding.

MIB, where'd you get tinted glass. I called around and no one could do it.
              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• men in black
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 08, 2006

Just a local shop in Fenton, Mich. They cut it and sent it out to be tempered.
                IIRC $150.00
                1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
                Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
                Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
                Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                  Cherokee Outlaw
                  • Jan 10, 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't the lower the percentage the less light the tint allows through, therefore making it darker? So 30% tint should be darker than 50% tint. My 2017 Ram has ~30% from the factory and I tinted it darker to ~15%.
                  -Jonny B.
                  1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                  7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                  AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                  NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                  F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                  R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                  1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                  1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                  1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                    Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't the lower the percentage the less light the tint allows through, therefore making it darker? So 30% tint should be darker than 50% tint. My 2017 Ram has ~30% from the factory and I tinted it darker to ~15%.
                    That's how I understand it, too. I think the % value is percent of light allowed through the tint...
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Old Ironsides
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 06, 2014

Can you get a glass shop to do a light mirror tint like some of the factory FSJs had? I always loved that look, especially on the CCs.
                      Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
                      Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
                      '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
                      '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• Crist Clapper
                        I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
                        • Apr 28, 2008

Glass restoration

This may not be cost-effective for you, but will just offer it as an option. I wanted to have all the glass on my XJ to have the same original stamping, and the scratches were very deep. I was warned that any polishing would create a "rainbow" reflection, it did not.

Here's who I used: https://glassrestorationinc.com/
                        1990 Grand Wagoneer:
                        Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
                        Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)

Comment

Working...
                        X