new business question, for online parts buyers/sellers. Advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    232 I6
    • Jun 20, 2011

new business question, for online parts buyers/sellers. Advice needed.

The reason I ask,

My company was selected to participate in a start up accelerator (think shark tank without the cameras). One of the first things we need to do is get out and talk with potential customers.

My business connects online resellers (people like us selling used parts etc) with freight companies that can ship these things. We are making this so simple and so quick that anyone can do it online, even with no shipping or computer experience.

Right now anyone can ship small parts, it's super easy. Shipping large or heavy things is harder. There are ways to do it, but none of the current options are very user friendly.

Have you ever wanted to buy or sell something online but did not because it was too big and heavy? Or maybe you sold something big, but made it a local pick up only?

Please leave any comments you have. Any info I can gather will be a huge help in getting this business off the ground.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Good luck but being a middleman is going to be a hard sell. Regardless if the seller is a business or private seller, it's the sellers job to give the buyer an accurate shipping quote and his job to ship it. Shipping costs what it costs. Don't see where adding a brokers % fee to the cost is going to make things easier or cheaper to either party. Good luck.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• autogatto
      258 I6
      • Apr 24, 2009

I deal with shipping daily because of my job and shipping is a nightmare no matter what.

For sure a company that makes it easier on the average person that wants to sell a used part the might be heavy or bulky would be great. Still the major issue will most likely remain. And it is the ridiculous costs involved in shipping parts. Fedex and UPS have such high rates for both individuals and businesses that most of the times they really are the ones that kill sales.

This said a company that helps in the process would certainly help. So what would your company exactly do? Pick up the shipments and handle the rest of it or just give a "link" to a range of shippers with maybe provide "quotes" from different vendors (i.e. like a search engine for shipments)?
      A few jeeps

Comment

232 I6
        • Jun 20, 2011

Thanks for the replies guys.

Joe, I happen to agree 100% about it being the sellers job to ship. In my experience that's just the way things are done. Some of our advisors and investors disagree...

One thing I'd like to point out is that shipping cost actually vary greatly depending on who you buy from. Even two sellers using the same truckline will get different pricing based on which broker gives the truckline the most business.

It is a normal volume discount way of pricing things.

Still, at least initially I am not trying to compete, or get business, based on price alone. We are going after the business of people who without us would not ship at all.

If you have more thoughts please keep 'em coming!
        Last edited by 151; 08-29-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

232 I6
          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by autogatto
          I deal with shipping daily because of my job and shipping is a nightmare no matter what.

For sure a company that makes it easier on the average person that wants to sell a used part the might be heavy or bulky would be great. Still the major issue will most likely remain. And it is the ridiculous costs involved in shipping parts. Fedex and UPS have such high rates for both individuals and businesses that most of the times they really are the ones that kill sales.

This said a company that helps in the process would certainly help. So what would your company exactly do? Pick up the shipments and handle the rest of it or just give a "link" to a range of shippers with maybe provide "quotes" from different vendors (i.e. like a search engine for shipments)?
          Awesome! thanks AG.

Simplicity is exactly what we are going to offer. As you are aware, for a person not working in shipping, booking a freight shipment is tough. I too have worked in logistics for years and it can still be confusing.

To answer your questions, yes we would arrange for first and last mile pick up and delivery. That might happen with the carriers own truck, or be done by a 3rd party, depending on the situation.

We would (via our site) provide a very simple interface for getting a quote, choosing one of many carriers, making payment, and then booking a shipment.

The biggest part of this is the different methods we use to "arrange" the shipping behind the scenes. Our methods make it possible for nearly anyone to successfully book a shipment, even without any shipping experience.

I'd really like to hear more of your ideas. Please feel free to post away or send me a message anytime.

Thanks!

Comment

• DBX11
            258 I6
            • May 18, 2009

I think since a seller may make money and a buyer is spending that the most a middle man could make would be to pick up and deliver like a vehicle shipping company going many miles overestimating fuel costs and handling fees. Otherwise you must deploy several other employed across the geographical area to obtain enough items to keep fuel in your Prius unless your using your j10/20. Which would be awesome and I'd love to see those picturesque photos.

Comment

232 I6
              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by DBX11
              I think since a seller may make money and a buyer is spending that the most a middle man could make would be to pick up and deliver like a vehicle shipping company going many miles overestimating fuel costs and handling fees. Otherwise you must deploy several other employed across the geographical area to obtain enough items to keep fuel in your Prius unless your using your j10/20. Which would be awesome and I'd love to see those picturesque photos.
              DBX,

We do not have any plans to load up our grand wagoneers and drive across the country! But I will say thats not a bad idea...

I'll give you an example of what sort of service we are offering.

My father had a really nice spare dirt track car engine in his shop last year. He had already sol his car and most of the spare parts. The retail cost of this engine was around $20K.

In his local area there were not many interested buyers and his highest offer was for less than half the value. (This was a new unused engine, with all receipts etc.)

If he had access to a great transportation system and a website to book a shipment that was super simple to use, we believe he could have found a buyer somewhere out there in the whole country, that would give him much more money for the engine he was selling.

But he did not know of an easy way to ship, so the engine just sat in his shop until he finally gave in and sold it for much less than it was worth.

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

232 I6
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by babywag
                  Thanks BW, those guys have definitely got a good plan in place. They are offering a similar service to us. The biggest difference being we are not limited to engines or other drivetrain parts.

Have you ever wanted to buy or sell a big jeep part but did not due to the shipping?

Comment

232 I6
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by autogatto

AG, we are nearing the end of our customer discovery and with your experience I think your feedback is very important. If we can connect for a few minutes one day soon, your input would be a huge help. I will message you my email if you have just a minute please let me know.

Comment

• phil c
                      230 Tornado
                      • Jun 10, 2015

I think Fastenal beat you to the punch

They'll ship heavy items store to store for a very reasonable cost. They're in every major metro area. And a ton of mid, small markets as well.

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

H

Originally posted by phil c
                        They'll ship heavy items store to store for a very reasonable cost. They're in every major metro area. And a ton of mid, small markets as well.
                        They won't ship the west coast.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Edlebrock performer intake
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• cma
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 26, 2012

yes. i have always troubles with big parts....

acually i am thinking of shipping a NP229 and a AMC 360 to Europe. If you want to start a example you can PM me for further details.

Originally posted by 151
                          The reason I ask,

My company was selected to participate in a start up accelerator (think shark tank without the cameras). One of the first things we need to do is get out and talk with potential customers.

My business connects online resellers (people like us selling used parts etc) with freight companies that can ship these things. We are making this so simple and so quick that anyone can do it online, even with no shipping or computer experience.

Right now anyone can ship small parts, it's super easy. Shipping large or heavy things is harder. There are ways to do it, but none of the current options are very user friendly.

Have you ever wanted to buy or sell something online but did not because it was too big and heavy? Or maybe you sold something big, but made it a local pick up only?

Please leave any comments you have. Any info I can gather will be a huge help in getting this business off the ground.
                          Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I ship all the time [I shipped my pants!] and when I have to go freight it is often cost prohibitive. Often the shipping is more than the cost of the parts. Also as stated, the carriers I use provide a 70-90% discount to certain customers. Really! How does that help a customer relationship when the initial quote is $100 but then your able to manage it down to $10! I've also shipped a motor 1500 miles and was quoted $800 after all the discounts but then told the shipper it has to be under $500 and they said OK. Why not $500 as the initial quote?! Lastly, UPS and FeDex USPS require that I box everything. However, I see the same carriers shipping big heavy items [leaf springs] with only a tag. Why cant I do that? I've asked.....
                            The best deal for freight so far is 3PL with Fastenal. They can ship a pallet anywhere for less than $200
                            So yes, If you could provide reasonable rates without all the markup CRAP, that would be awesome!!!!
                            Last edited by rocklaurence; 09-06-2015, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X