X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSJunkie
    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
    • Jan 09, 2011

Big time there. The modern jeeps are too expensive, have complicated electronic engines that cannot be repaired if you break down in the middle of nowhere, independant suspensions that flex like crap and break, cheap plastic parts that don't hold up, and fancy interiors that no one wants to get dirty offroad. The new Wagoneer should be like our FSJs. People should be able to order a stripped one for offroad use with Heavy duty parts or a fancy one for a grocery getter and anywhere in between. I believe Jeep had their lineup perfect in the mid 70s. Jeep should be making Jeeps exactly like they did then. When offroad capability came before on road comfort; reliability before MPG; ruggidness before comfort; and simplicity for ease of repair and cheaper price. If people want a vehicle to load groceries in then they should get a minivan, not a jeep. All vehicles in the jeep lineup should be extremelly capable so no matter what model people bought, offroad capability would be assured.
    (I have strong feelings about this as you can tell. I hope to be a vehicle designer of some kind some day.) If I make it I promise all of you I will make a true tribute to the FSJ.
    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• J300Zack
      232 I6
      • Oct 15, 2007

FsJunkie....I agree with your statement about off-road capability before comfort but the truth is that there is probably less than 10% of Americans that would actually use there SUV's or Trucks. And as far as ease of fixing and having less complicated electronics...you can't blame the designers completely. If you want V8 power, the only way you can get it and still meet the strict government standards of MPG and Emissions is through fancy pants sensors and fail prone systems such as EVAP or the new Exhaust Fluid system that I'm curious how that is going to workout. Government mandates Tire Pressure Monitor systems, ABS, Airbags, and in the next year Traction Control. Those systems alone add many parts to fail and cost you money and the manufacture can do nothing about that. No cars with ever have the rough, raw feel of the Jeeps from the 60's and 70's, but I would never say that Jeeps of today are less capable then our FSJ's. With ESP and trac systems giving traction to the exact tire that needs it, electronic lockers, push button disconnect sway bars, and now quadra-lift, I would put a new Jeep against an old one anyday. Now after backing up the new Jeeps....you will never see me driving anything newer than my '97 Tj for all the reasons that I just tried to defend lol.
      '65 J300 Thriftside, Cummins Tow Rig (Sittin' in the field)
      '97 Tj 4.6L Stroker, locked, and rock rashed (Current DD)
      '86 Waggy, 360, Ax-15, Np231 (For Sale)
      '04 CBR 600RR, (Got to drive something fast)

Comment

• FSJunkie
        • Jan 09, 2011

Many good points ther that I will keep in mind in the future. I've allways been an old-school type person that prefers old technology. My friends have iPods, I have a 45 year old Sansui vacuum tube stereo and many records. They have a 2011 Grand Cherokee, I have a 1972 Wagoneer. It's just the way I'm wired. You are right though, and there is not much we can do about the modern vehicles. Every so often I rant like that. Thanks for your understanding.

Comment

• Jeepguy77
          350 Buick
          • Mar 16, 2008

I find it hard to believe that a wagoneer will be produced. especially with the new CAFE standards companies can not afford to make suvs that are much bigger than a grand cherokee. Im a subaru tech, and they recently introduced an all new low friction engine to help there fuel economy, that uses synthetic 0w20 oil. The govt also wants to companies to stop producing engines with timing belts because they feel engines shouldnt need work like this for more than 100,000 miles. Sorry for the long post but some companies dont seem to understand gas isnt getting any cheaper, and fuel economy standards arent getting any less strict. the future of cars sure is changing some is good and some bad (like the prius)
          Pierce,
          77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• FSJ Guy
            • Mar 20, 2005

I have to agree with the "Feds" on that one. Timing belts are stupid. Sure, a chain can stretch and jump, but it will give you plenty of warning before spontaneously breaking and possibly destroying the motor.
            Ethan Brady
            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Jeepguy77
              350 Buick
              • Mar 16, 2008

Yeah unfortunately being a technician we do lose a small amount of work but at least replacing the timing chain pays better its a bummer since subarus are some of the easiest cars to do timing belts on. I do kinda like that wagoneer drawing. I think jeep should at the very least build a truck of some sort.
              Pierce,
              77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• GTOGreg
                232 I6
                • Jan 12, 2011

That is perfect, I'd bbuy one ina heartbeat as long as it was as tough as it looks. New engines are great, how about rest of drivetrain? This would sell well IMHO. Americans are looking for a new reason to buy and this is just enough old-fashioned Americana with forward-looking technology. Well done on your design. Hopefully Marchionne et al are listening.

Originally posted by suzq044
                They made it look uglier than it should've been, the lower strip adds the nastiness; the following is a Photoshop I did a while back:

Otherwise, I'm guessing they're considering using the NAME, not the type of vehicle the Wagoneer is, IE - it'll be a high-luxury off-road SUV to compete with the Range Rovers, more likely than not. It'll probably look nothing like an FSJ, and probably won't have solid axles like one either. Maybe instead of the massive side-paneling, it would go further back in the lineage, and go with the strip of wood instead.

I drew this right over a 2011 Cherokee; it's got similar lines, believe it or not. But I went with the older-style wagoneer on the sketch-over:

Although, I don't see a business case for it. The Chrysler brand has 3 vehicles right now. They are supposed to be the Luxury brand of the Chrysler Group, so this SUV would fit better as a Chrysler, in the current line-up.

Comment

• lunchbox1671
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 22, 2010

With all these good photoshopers around here...

Anyone want to make a j-truck out of commander?
                  1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
                  -AMC 360 with RV cam
                  -T-15A, Dana 20
                  -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
                  -32x11.50r16's

Comment

• GallionSW
                    232 I6
                    • Mar 17, 2010

I would love to see a new GW but I really wish Jeep would make Gladiator concept truck a reality. Id get a 3rd job to pay for that!
                    JEEP-JustEmptyEveryPocket

1988 Grand Wagoneer
                    1983 CJ7

Comment

• suzq044
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 23, 2008

Originally posted by lunchbox1671
                      With all these good photoshopers around here...

Anyone want to make a j-truck out of commander?
                      LOL - been there, done that..

http://suzq044-chopartist.deviantart.com/gallery/ <- my deviantArt
                      Last edited by suzq044; 01-20-2011, 11:41 PM.
                      Max²: 1964 Jeep Panel Wagoneer
                      Planning Stages

2018 Wagoneer Rendering if you're interested.

Comment

• lunchbox1671
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 22, 2010

I would give my right arm for that. Granted it was an automatic, of course.

Seriously! THAT'S WHAT JEEP SHOULD BE MAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine that bad boy with about 3 inches of lift and some 33's! A winch bumper! Cab clearance lights! A brow!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I WANT! I WANT! I WANT!
                        1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
                        -AMC 360 with RV cam
                        -T-15A, Dana 20
                        -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
                        -32x11.50r16's

Comment

• cajunKen
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 19, 2007

Dang, that DOES look good......very nice job with the photoshop, BTW
                          Ken

'87 GW-360, 727/229, TFI, Holley Street Dominator manifold & Edelbrock 1406. Stock lift & tires.

Beef-It's what's for dinner....cause there ain't no d@mn shrimp in Colorado!

Comment

• FSJunkie
                            • Jan 09, 2011

A Jeep puickup of some sort would be awesome! It would be great for those of us out there that want a Jeep for offroad but need to haul lots of stuff.

Comment

• John Huebner
                              232 I6
                              • Mar 15, 2002

Make it a Quad Cab, and my 2008 Ram is trade fodder!
                              John Huebner
                              1989 GrandWag ~ Dino
                              1989 YJ Wrangler ~ The Mistress

Current Jeep Status:
                              Running!

Comment

• Brizio
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • Apr 11, 2008

I think with a long bed looks better.
                                brizios.com
                                Small Scale Jeeps