• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ohioj20
    304 AMC
    • Nov 26, 2001

My 6.2 chevy Diesel GW

Well, for those who followed our little 6.2 diesel in my J20 thread, my 1990 Gw Conversion is making head way. Got most of the body work done and paint stripped off. Also got the adaptor to a TH700 to a NP 229 today from Advanced Adaptors. Now just need to jack up the body and remove the frame & drive train to swap onto another frame, with the 6.2 and TH 700. All is on hold since the weather sucks in NE Ohio!
    Kenny
    1982 Jeep J10 body going on 1991 Dodge W250 frame with a Cummins and 5speed
    1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 V-8
  • The PIG Smith
    King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Wooo Hooo!!

I've been on the lookup for a cheap 6.2L.
    I am telling the world here and now, I WILL own a oil burner someday!

For those that have gotten or do not know, check out this link to an event we are having:
    Ohioans interested in a 6.2 Diesel into a FSJ

[ March 15, 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: The PIG Smith ]
    Bryan Smith
    2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
    1986 Jeep J20
    - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Has become a Long Term Project.
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
    1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
    - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
    ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
    Originally posted by Lindel
    Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• waggin'ear
      350 Buick
      • Apr 24, 2001

Brian,

I saw that you were on the 6.2 forum. You must be serious.
      adam

Gotta a lot of junk

" I may not be good, but at least I'm slow"

Comment

• The PIG Smith
        King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

I AM!
        Very!

I've been researching this topic to death.
        Learning all that I can from everywhere and everyone.
        I am trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

[ March 15, 2005, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: The PIG Smith ]
        Bryan Smith
        2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
        - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
        1986 Jeep J20
        - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
        1982 Jeep J10
        - Has become a Long Term Project.
        1981 Jeep J20
        - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
        1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
        - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
        ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
        Originally posted by Lindel
        Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Sycho15
          304 AMC
          • Jul 15, 2002

What's up with the 6.2L anyhow? The 6.5L TD is a superior engine.
          1975 J20 401/TH400/BW1305

Comment

• illegalFSJ
            304 AMC
            • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by Sycho15:
            What's up with the 6.2L anyhow? The 6.5L TD is a superior engine.
            I agree - if I were to go through all the trouble of a diesel swap, I'd definately install a 6.5 TD over that old 6.2 any day.
            "Well, what gears do you have? If you have 2.72s in there still, a blown big block with jesus himself working the gas pedal couldnt get the rear tires to slip." -Mavawreck

1977 J10, shortbed, 360, T18a 4-speed, D20, 32\" A/T tires, Warn hubs - Forest Service Green

Comment

• ohioj20
              304 AMC
              • Nov 26, 2001

6.2 are a dime a dozen, nothing really wrong with them. Plus, you won't have much room for a turbo, unless you eat some sheet metal! Plus more computer :o:o:o:o involved
              Kenny

Comment

• ncjeepers
                327 Rambler
                • Dec 18, 2002

I've been doing some research, too. I've been restoring and driving military CUCV's for a couple years, I plan to put a 6.2 in a trail Cherokee project, and I am looking at a 6.5TD tow rig.
                The 6.5 is not a superior engine by any stretch of the imagination. They have a very bad habit of cracking the main webs in the blocks. Also, you'll have a failure prone electronic injector pump. UNLESS... you get the very early 6.5. The first year or two (93/94 I think) used the old 6.2 "599" block casting and a mechanical injection pump. The troubles started in 94 or 95 when they introduced an "upgraded" block that was prone to cracking. I am gonna stay away from those. They did eventually fix the problem with a new casting, but I'm not sure when.
                The pump mounted drivers on the electronic injection pump are prone to failure due to heat and vibration. Also, it is drive-by-wire, which kinda disturbs me. There are kits that are supposed to remedy the failure situation, but I'd much rather go mechanical.
                You're not gonna blow anybody's doors off with a 6.2. It'll turn the tires up on my CUCV Blazer pretty good, but I wouldn't consider one for heavy towing. It is, however, cheap and reliable. I get 20mpg in my CUCV Blazer. Parts are everywhere, and much less expensive than other diesels. Reman injectors are $40 ea and a reman pump is $400. Compare that to the prices for the others and you'll see why I like the lowly 6.2.
                Tony Casey
                BullGearInc.com

Comment

• crispyboy
                  304 AMC
                  • May 14, 2002

I was looking at a coworkers 1993 6.5T chevy truck that he is selling and I took a few pictures.

Look how big the turbo is on this engine. It would never fit a FSJ without some major modifications to the fender and the you would have to take the heater box out.

Here is another part that you must come up with for a diesel swap.

here is a pricey aftermarket fix - about $660 plus shipping made by Vanco. Looks like the same GM parts as my coworkers 6.5T truck.

Vanco Hydroboost
                  Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
                  <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

• ohioj20
                    304 AMC
                    • Nov 26, 2001

you can get away with using your stock Jeep braking system. Just make sure you have both the gear driven and belt driven vacuum pumps. You have enough vacuum with one, but if a fan belt snaps, no brakes! I know it works, cause I have had a 6.2 in my J20 now for 2 years.
                    Kenny

Comment

• crispyboy
                      304 AMC
                      • May 14, 2002

I was reading somewhere yesterday that when a fan belt brakes you still have more braking power with the hydroboost that you do with a vaccuum unit. They also say that the hydroboost system is far superior to the vaccuum booster - but here we go again throwing more money at the jeep.
                      If I ever do the conversion I figure I will just have to buy a parts vehicle. There is one in the paper for $700 with a bad 6.2 motor.
                      Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
                      <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

• Soulman67
                        232 I6
                        • Mar 18, 2005

The 6.2 diesel is a very good all around engine if you know what to do with them, as well as the 6.5TD. I have had several in the past, my last 6.2 was in a '91 1 ton crewcab. It had been rebuilt balanced and the injection pump turned up 20% and advanced timing, with high flow injectors. It could win drag races and pull. I used it every day pulling 14,000lb. But with all the mods it got 8mpg with overdrive and 3.42's.
                        88 grand wagoneer, For Sale
                        96 K3500 6.5 TD crewcab, 80hp ecm, heath wastegate set at 12 lbs of boost, 3\" striaght pipe. 220K broke harmonic balancer off crank.
                        New DD 95 nissian truck, 4cl 5 speed ain't pretty but gets 21mpg

Comment

• Carl Rasmussen
                          350 Buick
                          • Mar 11, 2004

I am thinking About putting a compete 6.5 TD with trans and transfer in 78 Cherokee How much room is ther for it in there?

[ March 20, 2005, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Carl Rasmussen ]
                          Carl Rasmussen
                          No more cable bills
                          Android TV box Full setup and configured $150 https://youtu.be/7bAm9RzIgms

Comment

• ohioj20
                            304 AMC
                            • Nov 26, 2001

Not much! a 6.2 fits snug, need to do a lot of cutting away to fit the turbo, down pipe, and air cleaner.
                            Kenny

Comment

• DieselSJ
                              304 AMC
                              • May 19, 2003

It fits - no sheet metal cut.

More pics here - http://www.chaserace.com/exhaust/exhaustwagoneer.html

[ April 13, 2005, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: DieselSJ ]
                              -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                              -99 XJ Limited.
                              -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                              -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

Working...
                              X