• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thing2
    232 I6
    • Mar 30, 2010

axle swap

so i just bought a 82 chero an the rear axle was bent. he through in another axle but im not sure what kind of truck it came out of. i was wondering if its normal to have the driveshaft angled toward the pass side. the old axle was short on drivers side an the new one is short on pass. side. 208 t-case if that helps
    82 cherokee 360 727 d44 f&r 4.10s spooled an locked, 4"lift 2"body 37s, tbi
    1964 impala wagon 327,powerglide dd
    2000 xj r.i.p
    1999 wj r.i.p

80 and up to 86 or so are a centered Model 20, and from there to end of wag production are a centered 44. Might be a slight side to side difference, but not much. The older Q-Tracs were a real offset to the pass side.

Only difference will be in width, depending on if yours has the factory steel flares on a 2 door, which would make it a wide track. The 20 has the "dog dish" type cover and the 44 would be a twin to the front axle cover. Ratios from the factory were usually 2.73 or 3.31 (with the tow package.)
    Art
    ASE Master Collision Tech
    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• thing2
      232 I6
      • Mar 30, 2010

it is a 2-door widetrack. i just measure the old axle to the new an its like 3-4" longer in total lenght. it is a 44 but what is it out of since its longer than the stock axle which is a wide track? an do i run it an just put wheel spacers to offset the diffrence(i dont really wanna do that)
      82 cherokee 360 727 d44 f&r 4.10s spooled an locked, 4"lift 2"body 37s, tbi
      1964 impala wagon 327,powerglide dd
      2000 xj r.i.p
      1999 wj r.i.p

Comment

If the old one is the bent one, and everything looks good as far as filling wheel wells, it is probably the w/t version, and should be a 20. If the other is that much narrower (3-4inches) and is a 44 then it is probably out of a later 86 and up wag. The last of the big cherokees was 83. The 44 if the wider of the two, it could be a J-10 axle.
        Art
        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Comment

• 3nellieb
          232 I6
          • Jan 09, 2010

Originally posted by goldhammer
          If the old one is the bent one, and everything looks good as far as filling wheel wells, it is probably the w/t version, and should be a 20. If the other is that much narrower (3-4inches) and is a 44 then it is probably out of a later 86 and up wag. The last of the big cherokees was 83. The 44 if the wider of the two, it could be a J-10 axle.

the old one is the bent one, it fit just fine.the new one that came with the jeep, we where told that it would match(our fault for not mes) but what we found was that it was 3-4in or longer than the stock.did this come out of a j-truck? are the j-truck axles wider? it hads been converted to disc brakes so we were hoping to use it but it looks like we will have to hunt for a w/t axle.
          Stupidity is often rewarded with pain.

86 waggy fresh 360 big bore tbi and all the works fresh727/208 4:27s front locked rear spooled 4'' bjs springs and 2'' body 37s irok(as of now) lots of cuttin.

Comment

• thechier86
            327 Rambler
            • Mar 16, 2009

if it's only 3-4 inches longer, i'd slap it under there. you realize that 3 inches longer total comes out to only 1.5" on each side. it'll be just fine after all, it was free, and has disc brakes. it's worth a shot! if it don't fit, get a different one. lotsa people on here are running wider axles than stock with no issues.
            buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• 3nellieb
              232 I6
              • Jan 09, 2010

i will have to check at lunch but it may be longer than 3-4 or it might be 3-4 on each side. its not the runnig wider axles but the fact that the front will be at stock size. was just wondering how much bigger the j-truck axles are than the w/t if any.we were told that it can from a cherokee. not blaiming seller just trying to figure out what to do and what jeep this axle can from.the gears were going to get changed to match back because it has 4:10 plus locker, which is why we really were hoping this would work.
              Stupidity is often rewarded with pain.

86 waggy fresh 360 big bore tbi and all the works fresh727/208 4:27s front locked rear spooled 4'' bjs springs and 2'' body 37s irok(as of now) lots of cuttin.

Comment

Just watch that it is not going to be a bunch wider than the front, as you have noted. That could give some stability and tracking issues if it is wider by a bit.
                Art

Comment

• azpackrat
                  350 Buick
                  • Oct 20, 2009

If it's a J-truck axle it will be the same width as the front, the stock rear axle in the wide track Chero was narrower than the front axle which is the same width as the J-truck axle. If it is a J-truck axle, unless they relocated the perches they will be too wide, so they will have to be moved.
                  If you want to identify the axle, there should be a number stamped into the axle tube to the right side of the center as your facing the cover. This is the BOM, I don't have a link to a site but if you Google D-44 BOM you should find one.
                  ?A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.? Col. Jeff Cooper

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." Albert Einstein

Comment

• warrpath4x4
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 12, 2010

Posting a picture will help also. If all we have to go off of is that the axles wider, it could be a number of axles.
                    AMSOIL DEALER

North East Oregon 4Wheelers

Comment

Working...
                    X