X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csuengr
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 19, 2011

I considered a radius arm, but I don't like the binding or the caster change. I am waiting to drop the engine back in to check for clearances for the trac bar.
    If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

Comment

• Eugene 1
      304 AMC
      • Feb 04, 2006

I like it, this going to be a great build! I especially like what is being done to the frame!
      JEEP
      2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

Originally posted by csuengr
        I considered a radius arm, but I don't like the binding or the caster change. I am waiting to drop the engine back in to check for clearances for the trac bar.
        here is a link to a build that the guy used modern jeep long arm suspension. it might give you some ideas.

EDIT : 35 + pages now "Heavy build" begins on page 13 "Finished" pics start on page 28 New : Magazine cover shot: page 40 Hi Everyone ! I have been "lurking" here for awhile.. reading up on all the great info you guys have written up.Amazing what you can learn by reading - But why ?? After

Al
        79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
        99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
        07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• csuengr
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 19, 2011

Nice build. He has way more money than I do. Besides, he used Rubicon axles that were already set up for a long arm system. I am using what I got. I like using imagination and skill more than my wallet.

Comment

• shakari
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 17, 2004

Wow, what a cool project!
            Steve Robinson AKA Shakari

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
              350 Buick
              • Jul 18, 2001

I was thinking of doing the same with a premade Truss with XJ suspension points (made to put a waggy 44 in a XJ). And then some custom long arm XJ arms from Rustys. I dont trust my welding/fab skills enough to do my own suspension mounts/links, but this looked easy enough to tack into place and take down to a shop to have welded. Its made for a NT Wag 44, but Im sure you could make it work.

Only concern I had was Truss to engine clearance at full bump.
              Ben
              1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• csuengr
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 19, 2011

Okay, gratuitous engine pics. The upper intake is off, in case anybody is wondering.

This is how I modified the v-belt York pulley to work with a serpentine belt.

Comment

• 81cherokee laredo
                  258 I6
                  • Jun 20, 2005

Great Build so far. Is the York going to be running OBA?
                  Dan
                  81 Cherokee Laredo- 360 727 NP219 SOA/SF 35 Coopers 4.56 Gears
                  83 Cherokee - Katy- long term project
                  89 Grand Wagoneer- 360 727 NP229 31x10.50's on slot rims

Comment

• csuengr
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jan 19, 2011

Yeah, I will have OBA. Looking at it now. I think I will replace the Ford compressor with another York. That way I won't have to adapt my existing AC lines to the Ford compressor.

Comment

• csuengr
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jan 19, 2011

So, now that I have the week off, it's back to work. doing the front suspension this week. I had to get the frame back off the ground and level, so I gave it legs.

Right side

Left side

Flexing, no trac bar yet. I have to put the engine in first for clearance issues.

Coil buckets tacked on.

Everything is just tacked in place for now. I have to make some small braces on the frame mounts for the lower arms.

I'm using four inch Early Bronco springs from Deaver since I couldn't find any Jeep springs with the right spring rate. Plus I already had the lower spring retainers.

Comment

• Wagn Man
                        258 I6
                        • Jun 23, 2009

Subscribed, excellant work thus far.
                        78 Chero NT..... nickname "Crash"
                        84 GW 401, Rhino Grille
                        03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD My DD/Tow Rig

Comment

• csuengr
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jan 19, 2011

Got the engine and tranny set into check clearances, again. Hopefully this is the next to last time I get to set the drive train in. I had to modify the transmission cross member to get the driveshaft to clear.

I will have to do something about the sway bar. I will probably move it an inch forward.

This thingy is another Exploder goody. Oil to water oil cooler.

Modified cross member

Comment

• bigblock91

that's a dam nice build you have started... what years do the explores have the oil to water cooler? wounder it that would fit on my BB ford.. thanks for the build.. makes me want to get my act together with my build! looking forward to more.....

subscribed

Comment

• jtr
                              258 I6
                              • Oct 25, 2005

Can you explain the motor mounts --- frame side? Modified Jeep/Ford hybrid?
                              Jeep is gone ~~ Ranger cab truck in the works
                              393W/C6/203-205, HP60, 14B, 12 bolt H1s, 40" Pitbull Rockers, full hydro, 4 link rear

Build = http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973973

Comment

• csuengr
                                327 Rambler
                                • Jan 19, 2011

The oil cooler is off a 5.0L Explorer. Some have them, some didn't as there are two oil filters listed for an 5.0 Explorer. The old tall one with English threads, and a short one with metric threads, the later being used with the oil cooler.

The engine mounts (on frame) are modified FSJ 6cyl pieces. I had to increase the angle to fit the Ford stuff. The Ford rubber mounts use a single bolt like the AMC 6cyls used. The mounts are in their original location on the frame as well. I did have to move the engine an inch to the passenger side to make clearance for the transfer case. That BW 1356 is huge.

Comment

Working...
                                X