Fixing the floor boards using an old hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • porkchop
    Master of B.S.
    • Apr 17, 2000

Fixing the floor boards using an old hood?

I know people have talked about fixing the floors in jeeps using and old hood from a chevy. What about using and old hood from and FSJ? I have one in the back yard that I have been meaning to throw out but now I am thinking I can use it to fix my floors. Can this work? Is it thick enough? I only have small area to repair. Thanks.
  • WINGO
    327 Rambler
    • May 06, 2000

How do you plan on attaching the sheet metal to the floor?

If your going to weld I would use new 16 gauge steel. It's thick enough to provide enough steel to weld on without burning and provide the stiffness if your hole is say larger than 2.5 to 3.0". If it's smaller than 2.5" you should be able to use the steel from the hood.

If your not going to weld and use pop rivets and body adhesive,use the 16 gauge and cut it oversized at least 1.5". Drill your holes ahead of time on the patch or on a minimum set your holes on the patch with a punch.

Good luck!
    <b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

I agree with WINGO, hoood material is too thin for anything bigger than your fist and a PIA to weld. I also try to do my welding on the bottom sides of the vehicle, this forces me to make sure everything is really clean. I weld only what is needed to make it secure, small 1/2" welds every 2" or so, keeps down the distortion. Seam seal, prime & paint underneath and then seam seal, prime & paint the inside.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• PAJEEPER
        350 Buick
        • Jun 18, 2000

If you want a cheap way to do it and get rid of that hood it will be fine. I've used a roof panel and its plenty thick metal. Also your in AZ so you dont even have to do that nice of a job on it. I however needed to seal my floor inside and out because of the bad conditions around here.

Comment

• WINGO
          327 Rambler
          • May 06, 2000

PAJEEPER:

Brookville on 80 near Du Bois?

I remember that being real bad snow and ice area when I was driving. I also did some camping a few years ago within the Allegheny National Forest. Nice Country.
          <b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg

Comment

• jeepbob
            Jeep Idiot
            • Jan 16, 2001

FSJ hoods are fine and they are the same gauge as the original floors. I have used hoods from all brands for years even professionally were my work was warrenteed for 3 years. If you are doing large areas you will want to put a double X crease for stiffness any how. Hoods are easy to weld if you use a wire feed just make sure to remove the paint in the area to be welded. I have even welded them in using a stick welder put it takes some practice so you don't blow holes.

Come on guys some new cars use 20ga floor panels so it just goes to show if you design it right the thin stuff will work. Fsj hoods are not really thin, they just seem that way due to no inner structure like Chevys and Fords have. The hood only has a couple if rods to reinforce it, the other brand hoods have an inner panel to create thier stiffness.
            65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• porkchop
              Master of B.S.
              • Apr 17, 2000

Thanks, I am going to use the hood to fix the holes in the front and then I should be getting the parts I need to fix the rear from a board memember. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

• JB
                258 I6
                • Aug 25, 2001

I replaced the floor boards in my CJ7 and wagon with 2 stop signs , did both sides.. they were very cheap and plenty strong..
                81 Wagon 360 cubic inch , 3 inch rough country lift , 35\'s More pics <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/beakeru2\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/beakeru2</a><br />http://www.auburn.edu/~hawkijf/MVC-002F.jpg

Comment

• irbob
                  360 AMC
                  • Apr 11, 2000

PC...floor boards don't rust out in southern Arizona dude. Have u been doing some 4wheeling????

JB...those weren't busy intersection stop signs were they?
                  Bob
                  83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
                  83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• JB
                    258 I6
                    • Aug 25, 2001

LOL , No BoB I wouldnt do that.. They were actually street signs, (same material) my dad works for the city and they were extras.. They seriously do make for excellent repair pannel material. I dont know what they put in these things but they are very "weather resistant", and bondo adheres to them well.
                    81 Wagon 360 cubic inch , 3 inch rough country lift , 35\'s More pics <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/beakeru2\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/beakeru2</a><br />http://www.auburn.edu/~hawkijf/MVC-002F.jpg

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
                      GRUMPY
                      • Apr 10, 2001

MR. CHOP I KNOW IT'S THE FLOOR AND YOU CAN'T SEE IT ...BUT I MAKE ALL MY PATCH WORK "FLUSH"... ..ALL THE YEARS I'VE DID PATCH WORK I NEVER USED A HOOD OR ANY PART OF ANY CAR....BUT THAT'S OK, IF YOU WANT...I LIKE ALL MY SHEET METAL NEW...JEEPBOB IS RIGHT!! YOU CAN TAKE THIN METAL AND MAKE IT STRONG....ME!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• PAJEEPER
                        350 Buick
                        • Jun 18, 2000

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WINGO:
                        PAJEEPER:

Brookville on 80 near Du Bois?

I remember that being real bad snow and ice area when I was driving. I also did some camping a few years ago within the Allegheny National Forest. Nice Country.
                        <hr></blockquote>

Yeah DuBois is just 20 miles away from me. Its about the closest thing we have to a city in this area

Yeah the Allegheny is pretty nice country.

Comment

• porkchop
                          Master of B.S.
                          • Apr 17, 2000

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by irbob:
                          PC...floor boards don't rust out in southern Arizona dude. Have u been doing some 4wheeling????
                          <hr></blockquote>

Yes I have been doing some wheeling , but the floors looked like this already. I am pretty sure this thing is an old snowbird wag. It is 34 years old too.

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
                            GRUMPY
                            • Apr 10, 2001

MORE RUST FUN!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X