Ever Heard of a Nissan SD33 Diesel Powered FSJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AMC-J/20
    350 Buick
    • Dec 17, 2009

Seek out some AM-General AM715/A2's or KIA Motors KM450's for your Nissan diesel power train parts . . . The AM-G's were Badge engineered FSJ's

Mike
    1953 REO M48.
    1962 GMC C3000.
    1969 AMC AMX-390 Resto.
    1971 AMC/Jeep J4000DRW.
    1983 AMC Eagle project SX/290.
    1988 AMC/Jeep project MJ/343.
    1989 Jeep GrandWagoneer.
    1991 Dodge Ram-Charger.

A M C Means Jeep to me

Comment

• TexTJ209
      360 AMC
      • Oct 06, 2005

Just from ordering parts for a CJ-10A aircraft tug, the SD33 starter is really hard to find and about $600 for a reman.
      '10 Chevy Silverado 5.3L - The DD.
      '81 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo
      '73 Jeep J2000 - On the perpetual backburner.
      Texas A&M Offroad

Comment

• AMC-J/20
        350 Buick
        • Dec 17, 2009

I had a 1981 or 83' Chevette with a 1.8L I4 Diesel a reman starter for it was $450 ! ! !

Mike
        1953 REO M48.
        1962 GMC C3000.
        1969 AMC AMX-390 Resto.
        1971 AMC/Jeep J4000DRW.
        1983 AMC Eagle project SX/290.
        1988 AMC/Jeep project MJ/343.
        1989 Jeep GrandWagoneer.
        1991 Dodge Ram-Charger.

A M C Means Jeep to me

Comment

• Grantshire
          350 Buick
          • Oct 16, 2002

Originally posted by TexTJ209
          Just from ordering parts for a CJ-10A aircraft tug, the SD33 starter is really hard to find and about $600 for a reman.
          Yes they are! But, I have two complete running engines with working starters. That's why I am trying so hard to make this work.
          Richard

62 Willys SW
          66 CJ6
          67 M715
          69 C101 Commando
          74 Wagoneer Custom
          79 WT Cherokee Chief
          81 Scrambler
          86 CJ10A

Comment

Originally posted by Grantshire

The SD33 engine has a SAE #3 bolt pattern because it was designed for industrial use, not automotive. They were the standard engine for a lot of forklifts. Someone with machine shop experience would not have a problem with making/modifying a bellhousing to fit but those skills aren't in my tool box.

No need to fab one, Phoenix Casting (among other, I'm sure) makes one already. http://www.phxgrp.com/transmission.htm
            David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
            83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
            10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Grantshire
              350 Buick
              • Oct 16, 2002

Originally posted by Chevelleguy
              No need to fab one, Phoenix Casting (among other, I'm sure) makes one already. http://www.phxgrp.com/transmission.htm
              I have been talking to the Phoenix people for a couple of years, they do not make an adapter to mate a SAE #3 engine to the AX15. Most of their adapter are for automatics (GM 700R4, Ford C6 or Chrysler 727). My enine is already mated to a TF 727. I have not found anyone else that mates a SAE #3 to the AX15 transmission.
              Richard

62 Willys SW
              66 CJ6
              67 M715
              69 C101 Commando
              74 Wagoneer Custom
              79 WT Cherokee Chief
              81 Scrambler
              86 CJ10A

Comment

• Grantshire
                350 Buick
                • Oct 16, 2002

Originally posted by AMC-J/20
                Seek out some AM-General AM715/A2's or KIA Motors KM450's for your Nissan diesel power train parts . . . The AM-G's were Badge engineered FSJ's

Mike
                Mike, you have any more information on these? I have googled both and cannot find much. KM450 is a M715 look-a-like but I don't think parts are available here. Not turning up much on AM-General other than their 6.2 & 6.5 powered HUMVEES.
                Richard

62 Willys SW
                66 CJ6
                67 M715
                69 C101 Commando
                74 Wagoneer Custom
                79 WT Cherokee Chief
                81 Scrambler
                86 CJ10A

Comment

• biotex
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 30, 2009

Richard,
                  Back in Dec. 09, you posted (on a different forum) that you parted out your CJ10-A. Did you end up keeping it afterall, or get another one?

Since you mentioned you had 2 engines, I guess you parted one, then realized your mistake, and corrected it?

I just started mine up for the first time and test drove it. All that is left, is to fabricate a bed. I have a parts YJ bed I'm going to chop up.

I would be very interested if you find the adapter to mate a T176. I have a scout T-19 mated to a D20, and am tempted to use it, but am going to try the 727 and see how it works out first. I'm running waggy D44's with 3.31 ratio IIRC. Whatever came with the tow package in 86.

Eric
                  1986 CJ7, AMC 304/ T-176
                  1968 Scout 800, 152/T-18
                  1971 Scout 800B, 345/727
                  CJ10-A Tug,Waggy axles, Sd33, 727

Comment

• Grantshire
                    350 Buick
                    • Oct 16, 2002

Originally posted by biotex
                    Richard,
                    Back in Dec. 09, you posted (on a different forum) that you parted out your CJ10-A. Did you end up keeping it afterall, or get another one?

Since you mentioned you had 2 engines, I guess you parted one, then realized your mistake, and corrected it?

I just started mine up for the first time and test drove it. All that is left, is to fabricate a bed. I have a parts YJ bed I'm going to chop up.

I would be very interested if you find the adapter to mate a T176. I have a scout T-19 mated to a D20, and am tempted to use it, but am going to try the 727 and see how it works out first. I'm running waggy D44's with 3.31 ratio IIRC. Whatever came with the tow package in 86.

Eric

Eric,

Yep, same tug. My best friend I build my Jeeps wanted the tug tub for his sand dragger project so I let him have it. He was building a CJ10 type pickup on a bobbed aftermarket Scrambler frame. He died unexpectedly midproject and I am going to finish it. I have a YJ tub that I plan to modify to be a CJ10A tub but 6" longer (tug is shorter than Scrambler cab) then will put pickup bed on back.

Will keep you posted on T176/AX15 quest. I know it can be done judt have to find the right person with the details. Keep me posted on yours.

Richard
                    Richard

62 Willys SW
                    66 CJ6
                    67 M715
                    69 C101 Commando
                    74 Wagoneer Custom
                    79 WT Cherokee Chief
                    81 Scrambler
                    86 CJ10A

Comment

• boghog360
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 24, 2004

Richard, Dennis here. I just last week put my t-176 back into my cj5. I wish I would of taken out the alum. bellhousing for pics. Just had it out for a rebuild. I would like to have a 5 speed also. I was wondering if the bellhousings on the Toyoto or Nissan trucks would match up. I just don't believe Nissan made up 5 of these BH's for those waggy's. Oh, on the other side, it is so nice to have syncros that work.
                      Thanks again for the disc you sent me, it has been useful.

Comment

• JeepinPete
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 09, 2003

I missed this thread first time around...

You should be able to use your adapter with a manual trans as is. What you need depends on which bell housing pattern your 727 is. Chrysler, Jeep (AMC), etc. If it is a Chrysler pattern, use a NV3500 out of a Dakota or 1500 Pickup. You would need the Chrysler flywheel, clutch, etc. If it is AMC, NV3500 out of a 4.0L Jeep. The adapters used on diesel engine simply replicate the back of the engine the trans is supposed to be mounted to.
                        Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                        Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                        Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• threepiece
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 17, 2005

Originally posted by AMC-J/20
                          AM-General's AM715/720 A2's were Nissan Diesel powered, Those were FSJ's rebadged !

Mike
                          Perhaps not all had the SD33. I have what I think is an AM 715, it has an AMC 258
                          FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                          We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                          We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                          Resistance is not futile yet.
                          Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

Originally posted by mdill
                            Is the 727 a Jeep/AMC pattern bellhousing or a Mopar pattern ?
                            Big Block Mopar (I've seen a couple up close) with an adapter.

If you do the swap, get the turbo motor (built stronger internally than non-turbo)

Here's my thought: Either run an '80 up Jeep T18A (long input shaft) with the T19 Scout bell or find a Mopar big block std bell and see if say the 5 speed from a Turbo Cummins would work with it, then get an adapter input shaft and you're good to go.
                            Or buy a Ranger O/D (bolts inside the bellhousing) and put that between the T18A trans and SD33T motor with the IH T19 bell.

And check out John Meister's SD33T to J10 Honcho thread.

Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• MCoyle101
                              230 Tornado
                              • Jul 18, 2006

I have a 88 Wagoneer that I put a SD33T from a 80 Scout. I run the t19 close ratio and 3.73 gears at the moment. I'm sure this rig weighs over 4500 and it seems to do the speed limit fine. If you have any questions let me know.
                              Marcus

Comment

• nc wagoneer
                                350 Buick
                                • May 08, 2012

What sorta mpg do yall get with the sd33??? I might do an sd33(t) swap or see if my dad will let me use the ld28 (sd33's little brother) out of the old datsun wagon sitting behind the house.
                                old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
                                Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
                                "BROWED AND PROUD"
                                Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                                Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

Working...
                                X