AW4 Transmission Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SC/397
    The flex plate and starter for the 4L and AW4 is a direct bolt up to any of the AMC V8 engine and bell housing. The solenoid is on the the 4L starter so, you will have to wire it up as such.
    Hey SC/397,

Have you bolted the 4.0L flexplate to a 401 successfully? Derf over at FSJN (https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/vie...16914&p=174675) has said there are issues with the 360/4.0L flywheels on a 401, but I don't know if that is universal or applies to the flexplates as well. Just curious.

I have been running one in my Daughter's Javelin behind a 304 for years now. Anything that will bolt to a 4L Jeep engine will bolt to the V8's. There shouldn't be a problem if it is a 360 or a 401. You just have to add weight to it to balance it. There is no difference between 401's and the rest of the V8 engines. One key thing to remember is to put the 1/8" dirt shield in between the bell housing and the engine. If you don't, it will throw everything off by that much.
    Last edited by SC/397; 10-15-2019, 12:35 PM.
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• '89_Wagon
      232 I6
      • Jan 01, 2019

Originally posted by SC/397
      The flex plate and starter for the 4L and AW4 is a direct bolt up to any of the AMC V8 engine and bell housing. The solenoid is on the the 4L starter so, you will have to wire it up as such.
      Don't forget to have the AW4 flex plate match balanced to the 727 Flex Plate. It costs between $30.00 and $50.00 depending how well you know your machinist.
      Any machinist should be able to do that for you. If you have a problem, send them both to me and I will get it done for you.
      http://theamcforum.com/forum/aw4-con...opic15549.html
      Oh good... $30 to $50 is not so bad. If the machine shop close to me isn't up for it, I'l be sure to reach out to you. Thanks!

Didn't look at solenoid differences in the wiring.... thanks for the heads up.
      '89 Grand Wagoneer
      AW4 Swap

Comment

• SC/397
        Administrator
        • Feb 01, 2010

Here is a link that shows the difference in AMC V8 flywheels and flex plates.
        http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_flywheels.htm Eddy's site gives a pretty good explination and part numbers of the various flywheels but, I thought I might show a little more informatio

The 6 cyl and V8 AMC flywheels and flex plates have the same bolt pattern and crank embosment after 1972. I guess that I should post up pictures of the 4L flex plate for a comparison. There is a different off-set for the starter ring gear between the 6 cylinder engines and V8's. (need to double check this). So, if you use the 4L flex plate AND the 4L starter on the V8 there is no alignment issues.
        The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

On a latemodel '88-up it uses the same starter as a 4.0
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• '89_Wagon
            232 I6
            • Jan 01, 2019

Originally posted by babywag
            Fantastic! One less thing to buy. I have an '89.

I wonder if I can just bolt my 360 flexplate up to the aw4 torque converter then..
            Last edited by '89_Wagon; 10-15-2019, 03:39 PM.
            '89 Grand Wagoneer
            AW4 Swap

Comment

• '89_Wagon
              232 I6
              • Jan 01, 2019

I am missing the dustshield/inspection cover from the AW4. Seeing as the bell housing pattern is the same, will the TF727 one work?
              '89 Grand Wagoneer
              AW4 Swap

Comment

• 80Limited
                232 I6
                • Feb 19, 2015

The inspection covers are totally different.

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

Right, the top mounting holes are all correct but the bottom is shaped differently. Shouldn't be a difficult part to find.
                  The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• '89_Wagon
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 01, 2019

Thanks! I'll add it to the parts list.
                    '89 Grand Wagoneer
                    AW4 Swap

Comment

• pickledtoast
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 13, 2018

Originally posted by babywag
                      Originally posted by '89_Wagon
                      Fantastic! One less thing to buy. I have an '89.

I wonder if I can just bolt my 360 flexplate up to the aw4 torque converter then..
                      I'm not entirely confident in my initial waggy flexplate digitization. I will redo it when it all comes apart and remeasure. That said, I have about .175" difference between my '90 wagoneer flexplate starter ring gear and the ATP Z337 (XJ AW4) flexplate starter ring, with the waggy ring being further inside the bellhousing.

Again assuming it is accurate, you would need about a .275" spacer between the AW4 torque converter and the 360 flexplate, that's the method I'm planning on going with.

The bolt pattern on the AW4 torque converter is not even close to the 360 hole pattern, but the holes can be drilled.

Comment

• '89_Wagon
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 01, 2019

Originally posted by pickledtoast
                        I'm not entirely confident in my initial waggy flexplate digitization. I will redo it when it all comes apart and remeasure. That said, I have about .175" difference between my '90 wagoneer flexplate starter ring gear and the ATP Z337 (XJ AW4) flexplate starter ring, with the waggy ring being further inside the bellhousing.

Again assuming it is accurate, you would need about a .275" spacer between the AW4 torque converter and the 360 flexplate, that's the method I'm planning on going with.

The bolt pattern on the AW4 torque converter is not even close to the 360 hole pattern, but the holes can be drilled.

Not sure why, but I can't see the pic. But, thanks for the info.

I might just go with balancing the aw4 flexplate like my 360.
                        '89 Grand Wagoneer
                        AW4 Swap

Comment

• '89_Wagon
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 01, 2019

The transmission cooler is falling apart so it's going to be replaced. Does anyone know the cooler width off hand? Hoping to use to OEM mounts/brackets.

UPDATE: Was able to measure...22.5" wide end to end.
                          Last edited by '89_Wagon; 10-29-2019, 06:11 AM.
                          '89 Grand Wagoneer
                          AW4 Swap

Comment

• gpcl16
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 02, 2016

Just curious why you want to keep your NP229 with this swap? If your AW4 came with a NV242 that would be superior transfer case in my opinion. Much more reliable torsen for the center diff instead of a VC, as well as a locked 4hi option, native bolt up to the AW4, and getting rid of the problematic vacuum shifter as well. Seems like a win win.
                            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                            4" BDS Suspension Lift
                            Tru-Trac Rear
                            Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune

Comment

• '89_Wagon
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 01, 2019

Originally posted by gpcl16
                              Just curious why you want to keep your NP229 with this swap? If your AW4 came with a NV242 that would be superior transfer case in my opinion. Much more reliable torsen for the center diff instead of a VC, as well as a locked 4hi option, native bolt up to the AW4, and getting rid of the problematic vacuum shifter as well. Seems like a win win.
                              My aw4 did not come with a transfer case. The NP229 does just fine for my needs... think family fun car with occasional snow usage. Also, converting to another transfer case seems to add more complexity to the swap, like linkage, speedometer, shifter ect. Keeping the NP229 may not be optimal, but the extra work to adapt the wagoneer to another transfer case just didn't seem worth it to me.
                              '89 Grand Wagoneer
                              AW4 Swap

Comment

• pickledtoast
                                232 I6
                                • Feb 13, 2018

Originally posted by '89_Wagon
                                My aw4 did not come with a transfer case. The NP229 does just fine for my needs... think family fun car with occasional snow usage. Also, converting to another transfer case seems to add more complexity to the swap, like linkage, speedometer, shifter ect. Keeping the NP229 may not be optimal, but the extra work to adapt the wagoneer to another transfer case just didn't seem worth it to me.
                                Similar reasons here for keeping the NP229. My vacuum shifter works well for now.

But...the vehicle speed signal for the TCU comes from the 242 VSS. I'm not sure yet how I will handle that. Originally I figured I'd just replace my speedometer with a not-cable driven unit, but I just fixed my cruise control and that gets it's speed signal from a speedometer cable in-line vss.

Either way I figure I will have to create a VSS, either for my cruise or for the TCU.

Comment

Working...
                                X