• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nograin
    304 AMC
    • Dec 19, 2000

Instrument Illumination Sockets???

Are the illumination bulb holders in the 1981-85 instrument panel different from other wedge bulb holders?

On my '85, they are blue, and none of the other holders I have seem to fit.

Stealing pictures from other threads.
    1974 circuit board appears to have typical 1/2" socket in the upper left.

1984 (deckroid's)

'85 Grand Wagoneer
    360 727auto, NP229
    body by beer (PO)
    carries wood inside
    no "wood" outside
    My other car is a fish
  • nograin
    304 AMC
    • Dec 19, 2000

My best guess is the lugs are wider.
    '85 Grand Wagoneer
    360 727auto, NP229
    body by beer (PO)
    carries wood inside
    no "wood" outside
    My other car is a fish

Comment

On my '83, I'm pretty sure (I'll have to dig through the harness in a bit to confirm 100%) that the warning lights (Brake, 4wd, etc.) are push in sockets, not the twist in like the turn signals and gauge lighting. With the gauge board and twist sockets in front of me, the twist sockets will not fit securely in the warning light holes.

aa
      1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

yes,there are different sizes. you can see the holes are different in the pics you posted.
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• nograin
          304 AMC
          • Dec 19, 2000

Agree. Some of them - the indicators - have 5/8" dia holes.

I tried using what I thought was a standard socket for the 1/2" holes and it didn't work. Maybe I've got some notes from when I took that photo. Only missing one, but its annoying.
          '85 Grand Wagoneer
          360 727auto, NP229
          body by beer (PO)
          carries wood inside
          no "wood" outside
          My other car is a fish

Comment

I'm sure I have some extras in a spare harness. I'll dig through my pile of wiring in a bit. Shoot me a PM and I'll let you know what I find. If I've got what you need, I'll throw it in the mail tomorrow.

aa
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• nograin
              304 AMC
              • Dec 19, 2000

Quick update.
              All of the block bulb holders in my collection were for 5/8" panel holes.
              Removed a bulb holder from the GW and measured using a steel rule.
              Definately for 1/2" holes. 15/32" across. The retaining lugs are 9/16" across and about 1/4" wide.
              The contacts stand out just a bit beyond the 5/8" diameter outside diameter of the holder.
              Similar ones from other years, makes and models should work, even though they are not blue.
              '85 Grand Wagoneer
              360 727auto, NP229
              body by beer (PO)
              carries wood inside
              no "wood" outside
              My other car is a fish

Comment

• Rooney77
                232 I6
                • Nov 03, 2018

Originally posted by nograin
                Quick update.
                All of the block bulb holders in my collection were for 5/8" panel holes.
                Removed a bulb holder from the GW and measured using a steel rule.
                Definately for 1/2" holes. 15/32" across. The retaining lugs are 9/16" across and about 1/4" wide.
                The contacts stand out just a bit beyond the 5/8" diameter outside diameter of the holder.
                Similar ones from other years, makes and models should work, even though they are not blue.
                On my 81 the parking brake light and emergency drive light sockets were bigger/different than all the other cluster lights.

Comment

• Cliff
                  350 Buick
                  • Mar 30, 2002

Dorman has an exact replacement bulb socket that fits my 77 dash. I think the dash illumination and turn signals use this size. Part #85835. I found this at Advance Auto Parts. They also use the brand name Conduct-Tite.
                  Cliff Danley
                  1977 Cherokee S

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff
                    Dorman has an exact replacement bulb socket that fits my 77 dash. I think the dash illumination and turn signals use this size. Part #85835. I found this at Advance Auto Parts. They also use the brand name Conduct-Tite.
                    Yes, the standard illumination sockets and the turn signals are the same. The warning bulbs (4wd, emergency drive, seat belts, and brakes) are different, though. Those four use a different, larger socket. On my '83 they use a push in style socket with separate wiring going to the various switches, instead of running of the traces on the PCB.

aa

Comment

• nograin
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by Cliff
                      Thanks Cliff. I couldn't find a Help! catalog of any use. Looks just right and I don't have to mail order.
                      '85 Grand Wagoneer
                      360 727auto, NP229
                      body by beer (PO)
                      carries wood inside
                      no "wood" outside
                      My other car is a fish

Comment

• nograin
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 19, 2000

The Dorman 85835 didn't seem to catch when turned in. Since I was working blind, didn't want to force anything. I was most concened that by trying to force it, the contacts could damage the board.

Comparing the new Dorman to the broken original, it seemed like I could swap the contacts.

The ones from the Dorman socket pulled right out.
                        The ones from the factory socket, not so.

They appear to have been molded in. Time for surgical removal with the help of an Xacto razor saw.

Turns out they have different width...

More cutting and carving.

...and they have different depths as well.

So at the bottom filled in support and retained the clips with a little epoxy paste.
                        All done, I installed it without dropping the a/c or removing the panel. (It's a challenge but doable.)
                        Last edited by nograin; 02-21-2019, 07:19 AM.
                        '85 Grand Wagoneer
                        360 727auto, NP229
                        body by beer (PO)
                        carries wood inside
                        no "wood" outside
                        My other car is a fish

Comment

Working...
                        X