• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elwoody
    232 I6
    • Oct 05, 2009

Leaf Springs

Hey ya'll! I was walking out to my `87 G-Wag on my way to work and I happened to notice something a little funny with my front leaf spring(s). I've included pictures just so you folks can (hopefully) see what I see. It appears that the front-right leaf spring is sort of 'locked' on a horizontal position, which thus pulls the actual leaf spring up. I've included the front-left leaf spring for comparison.

So my question is: how hard of a fix is this? and how much should it ultimately cost me? I can still drive, and I'm sure I have been driving while it was like this. And could this have been causing that feeling I've been having in that the vehicle tends to want to veer off in a particular direction, especially during higher speeds (or when I'm breaking, for that matter)?

OK, I hope to hear your thought'ses

P.S. I'm sorry the comparison pic (front-left leaf spring) 'might' on the dark side. Proceed to make Star Wars jokes >_>
    Attached Files
    "Oops... I think I broke it..."

Feel free to contact me via AIM or MSN. A little 1-on-1 regarding explanations really can help me learn.
  • TK421
    232 I6
    • Aug 06, 2009

SPROING! Looks like the shackle got loose or maybe hit something causing it to hinge up like that...I am no pro but have you tried pulling it back down? Might be tough if the spring is bent or under alot of pressure.

I am sure one of the gurus will weigh in soon...Also I think someone is getting rid of stock waggy springs in the sale section.
    Flint

1970 J4600, 350
    1974 J10, AMC 258

Carolina FSJ website: (Flintster)

Comment

• Chumley360
      350 Buick
      • Sep 06, 2007

That last time I saw a spring do that it was a rear spring and it had to be replaced. But someone else might have some better, or more hopeful, input than that.
      1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

Good chance that spring is warped/weakened by this. A long prybar and some caution should be able to pop it back out.
        Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• CHICOWAGGY
          327 Rambler
          • Aug 19, 2009

Thats exactly why I don't like lift shakles.
          1990 Grand Wagoneer
          Stock 360/727/229
          Restoration in progress.

Comment

• Chumley360
            350 Buick
            • Sep 06, 2007

Originally posted by CHICOWAGGY
            Thats exactly why I don't like lift shakles.
            +1

Comment

• Elwoody
              232 I6
              • Oct 05, 2009

So if it needs to be replaced; with what could it be replace with? and how much do you suppose it could cost?

I know some have suggested the possibility of being able to "pull it back down". I for one certainly hope it's not perminantly warped. Though if it is, I'm guessing it will have to be replaced which takes me back to asking what I can replace it with and cost.

I will be calling my buddy who owns a shop, with any small chance of luck, he might have a leaf spring laying around... Maybe.

As for the lift, I didn't do it. Personally I'm not super keen on lifts either. But what's done is done, I suppose.

Hope to hear some more!

Feel free to contact me via AIM or MSN. A little 1-on-1 regarding explanations really can help me learn.

Comment

• azpackrat
                350 Buick
                • Oct 20, 2009

Jack the truck up and put jack stands under the frame then slowly lower the front axle.
                X2 on the extended shakle on stock springs, they are a nessary evil with lift springs, because the lift springs are longer than the stock springs (more arch), but with stock or near stock springs I think they cause too many problems, more lateral movement, too much arc allows the springs to invert or in your case fold-up. Not that it couldn't happen with stock shakles it's just less likely.
                If I were you I would not continue to use that spring any longer than I had to, it looks 'kinked' which will create a weak spot and might lead to a break. If possible replace them both with a matched set to maintain the same spring rate on both sides.
                ?A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.? Col. Jeff Cooper

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." Albert Einstein

Comment

• rockin wagoneer
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 01, 2010

wow

Ok so that sucks what did u do and is it a lift kit or stock springs
                  love it,live it,be it JEEP!!!!

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding

Comment

• Elwoody
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 05, 2009

Originally posted by rockin wagoneer
                    ...is it a lift kit or stock springs
                    I guess it's a lift kit of some kind. I'll have to call the previous owner.

...Unless there's some easy way to tell. Or at least a way to tell period. I mean they kinda all look the same to me. I wouldn't know how to shop for new springs anyway I mean would I measure them? I'll look for some paperwork or something when I get home.

Comment

• cajun_lad
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 17, 2006

Originally posted by azpackrat
                      Jack the truck up and put jack stands under the frame then slowly lower the front axle.
                      Try this ASAP before the spring gets permanently warped, if it isn't already. Once the front axle is lowered (with the frame supported up on stands), it should pop back down. Just make sure when you jack up the axle again to get the frame off the stands, that it rotates toward the front. This might need a little gentle persuasion... aka a BFH.

As far as replacements go, BJ's has a good selection of stock and lift springs, once you figure out what you have. They can probably help you with that too. Again, it'd be a good idea to change the pair, especially w/o knowing too much about the history of them.
                      Joey
                      Jeep-Less

Comment

• Chumley360
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 06, 2007

It might just be me, but isn't that a drop pitman arm in the pics? If so this doesn't say how much lift it has, or what manufacturer, but that it does has a lift.

Comment

• Elwoody
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 05, 2009

Originally posted by Chumley360
                          It might just be me, but isn't that a drop pitman arm in the pics? If so this doesn't say how much lift it has, or what manufacturer, but that it does has a lift.
                          I believe the lift is just 4 inches. And as far as I know, those could be stock -- but what do I know?!

Comment

• azpackrat
                            350 Buick
                            • Oct 20, 2009

After looking at your pic's again, I see that I was mistaken about the spring arch. In the second pic the angle makes the spring look flatter, I only glanced at the third pic, which I believe is more true level? Anyway the leaves look to be thicker than stock leaves also, so maybe a three or four inch lift, which would make an extended shakle appropriate.
                            Did you hit something really hard? or maybe you flexed it out and rapidly compressed it on that side? or loaned it to someone who's avoiding you lately? just a thought.
                            ?A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.? Col. Jeff Cooper

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." Albert Einstein

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

If it were me and I didnt want to improve it, Id flip the shackle back, set it down and drive it. I had the spring at the mount bend on my '67 Gladiator and I heated it up, bent it back down and drove it until I sold it. Its risky--but.

Comment

Working...
                              X