• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • King Zarkon
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 23, 2020

Crazy high idle!

Hey everyone!

So I was driving today, and as I was going I noticed that the idle kept climbing and climbing. It climbed to the point that I was doing 50mph without touch the gas as I arrived at my destination.

Shut the car off for a few minutes, then fired it back up and it was revving out hard, as of it were floored, without touching the pedal.

Under the hood, the throttle isn't sticking, nor is the pedal. Do I have a likely vacuum leak? I've got a 360 with a quadrajet if that helps.

I can only park where I am for the night so I either need to get this worked out or call for a tow!

Much thanks in advance for any guidance.
    'Grande Verde' former Steamwhistle promo vehicle:
    70s AMC 360, 64 Wagoneer body & interior, 86 Cherokee frame
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

very the throttle is actually closing all the way?

other possibilities loose distributor and now waaaay advanced?
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• King Zarkon
      230 Tornado
      • Mar 23, 2020

Yep throttle is closing all the way. I'll check the distributor next. And chance something in the carb stuck open?

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
        350 Buick
        • Aug 19, 2003

Is there anyway you could post up a pic? Are the springs on the cab linkage present?

Comment

• bufurd
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 13, 2008

A Q-jet, good for you, best carb there is. I'd lean towards an intake issue over a timing issue. First thing I'd check is that the carb is tight, caution, overtightening is what kills most carbs. Second thing would be the fast idle mechanism, related to the choke it can hang if not properly set up. Make sure the secondary isn't hung, a possibility is the little arm that protects things by not allowing the secondary's to open until the choke is completely open. I remove or bend it out of the way to eliminate it as it's just something to hang when you wanna rip. If all that checks out a can of starting fluid sprayed around carb and intake while running to check for leaks would be next.
          Current fleet
          Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
          Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
          Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
          Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
          07 JK Wife bought new...
          13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

Sounds like your leaking fuel from somewhere, check down the carb when running and see if you have a float stuck, or on the quadrajets also will develop leaks at the hole plugs in the carb( which is why you see epoxy to seal them up).

Comment

• King Zarkon
              230 Tornado
              • Mar 23, 2020

Ok so I took another look and couldn't see anything obvious (to me) but I made I little video with the hopes that you all might see something

Comment

• King Zarkon
                230 Tornado
                • Mar 23, 2020

One more thing - I neglected to mention that upon shutting the engine down yesterday, there was a pretty loud backfire.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 19, 2003

Have you fired it up today? And with out the air cleaner?

Comment

• King Zarkon
                    230 Tornado
                    • Mar 23, 2020

Yeah it was exactly the same. Started revving super high right away.

I didn't run it without the air cleaner though, should I?

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by King Zarkon
                      Yep throttle is closing all the way. I'll check the distributor next. And chance something in the carb stuck open?
                      Did you disconnect the throttle cable @ carb to make sure the throttle plates are fully closing?

While rare, I have seen a cable fail on more than one vehicle that prevented full closure of the throttle plates.
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• King Zarkon
                        230 Tornado
                        • Mar 23, 2020

No, but I will try this just now. I've got no cell signal down in the parking garage where I'm working on it, so I have to come back upstairs to check these replies haha

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 19, 2003

Little late now, however I wouldn't run it with out the air cleaner. I does sound like the distributor possible rotated, or something is up with the throttle cable.

Update us on what it was when you find out.

Comment

• King Zarkon
                            230 Tornado
                            • Mar 23, 2020

Ok - soooo...

I went to get some supplies and waited 2 hours in line. All of the stores are closing and today was the last day they're staying open so things were a little crazy.

I got back, distributor is tight. I took some PB lubricant and sprayed a tiny bit on each of the obvious moving parts on the carb. Refitted the air cleaner, and it started up as usual. A little high for a minute or so, tap the had and it comes down a little, tap the gas after another minute or so and it seemed to be idling like usual.

I let the engine warm up for about 5 mins, and went for a 20 minute drive including highways and city streets. No issues at all. Seems ok. Hopefully it stays that way.

Question - is it possible that the choke was sticking? I'm fairly new to working on cars, but have been working on motorcycles for the past 6 years or so. Had a similar issue with the manual choke on a bike. Not sure how automatic chokes on cars work though, so forgive my ignorance.

Many thanks for all of your timely replies!! I'm sure I'll have a new thread to start soon! (Barring having to restart this one)

Comment

• bufurd
                              327 Rambler
                              • Apr 13, 2008

That's how a carb choke works, as engine warms up the choke opens and at the same time backs off on the fast idle when ya tap accelerator. Really shouldn't use any type of lubricant on the linkages it'll gum em up, sprayed off with carb cleaner is best. If ya have any trouble with that Q-jet, I can shed a lot of light on what it wants to be happy..
                              Current fleet
                              Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
                              Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
                              Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
                              Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
                              07 JK Wife bought new...
                              13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

Working...
                              X