X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cable97526
    232 I6
    • Oct 20, 2009

Or ditch both and do like has been suggested and get a gen two or three LS based drivetrain and have the MPG and power difference to justify the cost
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

1974 J10 Levi's edition 401/th400/np205 60/14 soon to be 8.1/4L85E/205!
    1968 J20 SBC350/sm465/np205 60/14
    1972 Cherokee Chief (stock)
    2003 TJ Rubicon Tomb Raider turbo/40's/D44F/9inchR

Comment

• CommanderChaos
      258 I6
      • Sep 20, 2009

Originally posted by cable97526
      Or ditch both and do like has been suggested and get a gen two or three LS based drivetrain and have the MPG and power difference to justify the cost
      Peeshaw! What's the fun in that?!!
      1988 Grand Wagoneer, 360/727/229, 6" Rusty's Lift, 35x12.5.15 Goodyear wrangler MT/R w/ kevlar. 4.56 Gears, Yukon Chrome Moly Front Axle Shafts, Eaton E-Locker Front and Rear, ARB Differential Covers.

Comment

• Twinpinion
        258 I6
        • Sep 03, 2003

Originally posted by jeepsr4ever
        Hey Twinpinion where you been?
        Workin'!
        I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

Comment

• Ghinmi
          Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Originally posted by Twinpinion
          The Edelbrock system is better for high-horsepower engines and engines with heavy mods like turbos, nitrous, and superchargers. It's more flexible and adjustable. If you plan on eventually adding a really wild engine the Edelbrock system is the way to go. It's really more of a race system.

The Howell system is likely a better system for the majority of FSJs. It's more of a street system. It's simpler to install and easier to use but it won't support a big HP engine and doesn't really have the adjustability that the Edelbrock system has.

You will see virtually no performance difference between MPI and TBI in most cases. Assuming that both systems are functioning properly.
          Good post, lots of truth there. Only thing I would add is that Edelbrock lists their setup as "up to 450 hp". To go above that you're going to be looking at different injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc. So you're paying for a bunch of parts you're not going to use. I've been very happy with the Edelbrock on a 400ish hp 383 that I built for a friend.
          Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
          http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• Greeeeenberg
            232 I6
            • Sep 13, 2010

Why stick with just those two?

There is Megasquirt which isnt so much a kit, but more of a turner. You can then piece together a kit of your liking. Kinda like the idea of being able to keep the carb on and data-log information, til I'm ready to swithc over to EFI. Here is a website to get an idea from: http://www.diyautotune.com/ This is pretty cheap and all the software is free. You can control spark, fuel, and timing with this guy.

The next one I have come across is from FAST, which is auto-tuning to the vehicle or you DIY type. Check em out. http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp This kit runs around 2000 I think. Just found these so I need to do more reading on it.

Just my .02
            '87 Grand Wagoneer - 360
            '97 ZJ Orvis Edition - 318

Comment

• JeepFullSizeFan1984
              232 I6
              • Oct 20, 2011

Okay, I'm bringing this back from the dead....lol

Has anyone looked into the F&B Throttle Bodies setups at all? I can't seem to figure out if they include the Electronics and what not to make it work or if I need to find the tuning side for it?

Comment

• BGW
                350 Buick
                • Jan 02, 2009

I'm just going to add my two cents. I wouldn't splurge for the Edelbrock kit just yet. As archaic as TBI is, it's really all most people need. The Edelbrock kit is a very simplistic version of MPFI. It costs too much in my opinion. The real advantage is the MPFI manifold Edelbrock makes for AMC engines. I'm working on a Ford based sequential MPFI system that uses Edelbrock's manifold at the moment. Right now, it looks like the cost will fall between $1000 and $1500. The real cost is in the programming equipment, so if more people did it, it could become quite economical. The Ford based system is light years ahead of the Edelbrock kit in terms of engine management and processing speed. It's able to keep a much tighter reign on the engine, resulting in maximum power, efficiency, and the cleanest emissions possible.
                1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• fullsizejeepfreak
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 13, 2010

HOWELL! Just because I love mine. Who else can go 15 months in a FSJ and only top up the water and change the oil? NO WRENCHING FOR OVER A YEAR! Yes, it was boring; but I survived.
                  87 grand waggy SOLD :-(

99 Suburban 4x4 (wife's DD) 3" lift, dyna pro m/t's

Comment

• JeepFullSizeFan1984
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 20, 2011

I only bring up F&B Throttle Bodies cause they have a EFI 6-pack for the 360 engine. I figured if I spend that kind of money, at least make it better in the performance side as well. Having a 6-pack without dealing with carbs sounds really sweet to me!

Comment

• mattparliament
                      327 Rambler
                      • May 13, 2004

I found an EZEFI system on craigslist an jumped on it, it was just tested and complete. It sits on my 401 and I love it! Starts and runs like any other modern vehicle. I did later upgrade to a new poly tank and in tank fuel pump, most of the out of tank fuel pumps create some annoying noise and I was tired of it. I would endorse the EZefi system and do it again...
                      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                      1976 Cherokee 401 Quadratrac
                      4" Rusty's Spring lift 31" tires
                      All MSD ignition system
                      EZ EFI status: Running Smooth!
                      1999 Dakota Seats
                      2000Tahoe Console
                      Powertrax No-slip lunchbox rear locker
                      Amp meter delete
                      Two Wire 94Amp Alternator upgrade

Comment

Working...