• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CommanderChaos
    258 I6
    • Sep 20, 2009

Edelbrock MPFI vs. Howell TBI Fuel Injection

Is the Edelbrock MFI system worth the extra money over the Howell system using a stock 2bbl manifold?

Who has t he Edelbrock MFI system?
    Last edited by PlasticBoob; 03-01-2011, 02:51 PM.
    1988 Grand Wagoneer, 360/727/229, 6" Rusty's Lift, 35x12.5.15 Goodyear wrangler MT/R w/ kevlar. 4.56 Gears, Yukon Chrome Moly Front Axle Shafts, Eaton E-Locker Front and Rear, ARB Differential Covers.
  • FSJ Guy
    • Mar 20, 2005

They are entirely different animals. If you go with a MPFI system, you are replacing your stock intake manifold.
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• CommanderChaos
      258 I6
      • Sep 20, 2009

I know you replace the stock manifold with the Edelbrock. I just wondered how the performance of the Edelbrock system compares to the Howell with the stock 2 bbl manifold. Is it worth the extra money? $1,350 for Howell and $3,100 for the Edelbrock.

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
      They are entirely different animals. If you go with a MPFI system, you are replacing your stock intake manifold.
      1988 Grand Wagoneer, 360/727/229, 6" Rusty's Lift, 35x12.5.15 Goodyear wrangler MT/R w/ kevlar. 4.56 Gears, Yukon Chrome Moly Front Axle Shafts, Eaton E-Locker Front and Rear, ARB Differential Covers.

Comment

• SnowShoe
        350 Buick
        • Feb 24, 2008

Originally posted by CommanderChaos
        Is it worth the extra money? $1,350 for Howell and $3,100 for the Edelbrock.
        Nope !!!

Comment

• CommanderChaos
          258 I6
          • Sep 20, 2009

Hmmm....I was hoping you could elaborate on that a little bit. What experience do you have with each of the systems?

Originally posted by SnowShoe
          Nope !!!

Comment

• Eugene 1
            304 AMC
            • Feb 04, 2006

I would use the Howell becuase from what i understand and have read it uses Gm parts which would make them available just about anywhere. I also like the ezefi see link below

Rich is a regular on the Moparts board
            FAST Man EFI, the best tech support. Fast and Holley fuel injection. The highest rated EFI source who answers the phone! Shop our products today! Need help with training and tuning, we offer that too!

http://www.fuelairspark.com/ Enjoy a full length video from Hotrod Magazine. Hot Rod Magazine installs the latest F.A.S.T. E-Z EFI system on a 350-powered Ma...

I like it because it is a learning system it makes changes on the fly automatically to give you the best performance and mpg
            Last edited by Eugene 1; 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM.
            JEEP
            2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• Walt
              350 Buick
              • Feb 24, 2003

I guess you have to ask yourself: If I dump three grand worth of edelbrock fuel injection into my rig, will it then be worth at least $3001?
              I know mine would not...
              Will a newer MPFI system make that 40 year old engine design run significantly better than the TBI?
              Probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference without checking your bank ballance.
              Last edited by Walt; 02-24-2011, 01:18 PM.
              90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                • Mar 20, 2005

There was a guy in Colorado that put the Edelbrock system on a 401, IIRC. He absolutely loved it.
                Ethan Brady
                1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Walt
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 24, 2003

Here's another way to look at it...
                  $3000 will go a long way towards transplanting a modern drivetrain into the jeep.
                  90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

My understanding - the main motivation in modern cars for MPI over TBI: emissions. Certainly the MPI will give you better power and economy than TBI, since you have better mixture control, cylinder by cylinder. But I expect that, in terms of fuel economy, you'll never make back the cost difference, and the difference in performance will be minimal.

Plus the Howell stuff is made of commodity parts (except for the ROM), so parts availability should be no problem.

The Howell stuff is just a hacked GM system. I think they don't even offer spark control, so their product is basically an electronic carburetor. I recall that you can modify the Howell setup to provide spark control - somebody here has done it. An alternative is to go Megasquirt: then you're looking at really cheap, and you can add spark control, coil-on-plug (distributorless), whatever you want. Last I looked, the Megasquirt won't do sequential MPI, but maybe it will now. MPI is still possible, even without the sequential feature.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• sappy76
                      327 Rambler
                      • Dec 26, 2007

I'm running a Howell system and it does everything I would want it to do. Could I eek out another mpg w/ spark control, maybe. I use my truck as a winter driver and even hooked up a cheapo remote starter. Nobody can believe it when I press the button from 50 yards away and it starts right up. I personally could never justify the Edelbrock system. I needed the other $2000+ to put into other areas of my truck, like lockers, tires, interior, a/c, etc...
                      1976 Chief
                      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=96753

Comment

• Walt
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 24, 2003

Oh, that's right, howell doesn't control the spark. Now I remember why I didn't consider them for TBI.
                        If you're going to all that trouble, definitely get a GM TBI based system that controls the spark too!

Comment

• myk
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 30, 2011

Originally posted by tgreese
                          An alternative is to go Megasquirt: then you're looking at really cheap, and you can add spark control, coil-on-plug (distributorless), whatever you want. Last I looked, the Megasquirt won't do sequential MPI, but maybe it will now. MPI is still possible, even without the sequential feature.
                          FYI-Megasquirt 3 will do squential injection and COP and almost anything else you can think of. It's definitely diy (steep learning curve) material but I wouldn't have it any other way, best way possible to learn EFI imho....if your not in a big hurry.

Mike

Comment

• Twinpinion
                            258 I6
                            • Sep 03, 2003

The Edelbrock system is better for high-horsepower engines and engines with heavy mods like turbos, nitrous, and superchargers. It's more flexible and adjustable. If you plan on eventually adding a really wild engine the Edelbrock system is the way to go. It's really more of a race system.

The Howell system is likely a better system for the majority of FSJs. It's more of a street system. It's simpler to install and easier to use but it won't support a big HP engine and doesn't really have the adjustability that the Edelbrock system has.

You will see virtually no performance difference between MPI and TBI in most cases. Assuming that both systems are functioning properly.
                            I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Dec 28, 2002

Hey Twinpinion where you been?
                              AMC/Jeep Forum
                              Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
                              ///
                              "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

Working...
                              X