• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 89wagdrvr
    232 I6
    • Aug 05, 2010

Noob tailgate window?

Hi guys. New here. I read the tech articles on the tailgate window motor issue but still have some questions. The window is stuck in the down position. I pulled the switch and cleaned it. Still no luck. The defroster is also not working. I read that the defroster is some how tied i with the tailgate window. Is there a fuse I should be looking for? Where should i start the search? Are there any write ups with pics of tailgate motor fix? Thanks. Its also a 1988 grand wagoneer.
  • Etcetera
    258 I6
    • Mar 09, 2010

On mine it didn't work because the safety switch was bad. I bypassed it. It's on the drivers side of the tailgate near the latch.
    Eric
    La Habra, CA
    75 Wagoneer

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
      232 I6
      • Aug 05, 2010

No luck on the safety switch. I jumped the switch and still no movement. Any other ideas?

Comment

• hkjensli
        258 I6
        • Jan 29, 2001

Originally posted by 89wagdrvr
        No luck on the safety switch. I jumped the switch and still no movement. Any other ideas?
        I'd check the switch in the tailgate itself, you pulled the dash switch correct? The dash switch is wired through the tailgate switch, and when it corrodes you may end up with none of them working (happened to me!) There's a good write up of how to fix this switch here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ailgate+switch

Also check the condition of the wires where they run into the tailgate, its a common spot for them to break

Good luck!
        1991 GW 4bbl Edelbrock intake, carb & MSD ignition (wrecked)1988 GW bone stock (donor)(Under Recovery)
        Drive safe Drive a FSJ!
        Henning Kjensli

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
          232 I6
          • Aug 05, 2010

The wires running into tailgate look to be in very condition. I traced the wires back and can't find any problems. Is there any way to jump the tailgate key switch without taking the window out?

Comment

• hkjensli
            258 I6
            • Jan 29, 2001

I wish there was, just did my switch 2 weeks ago. you'll have to remove the window and lifting mechanism to access the switch. Probably elementary but did you measure to see if you have voltage across the two wires goint into the motor when you press either switch? If you do the motor is shot.
            1991 GW 4bbl Edelbrock intake, carb & MSD ignition (wrecked)1988 GW bone stock (donor)(Under Recovery)
            Drive safe Drive a FSJ!
            Henning Kjensli

Comment

• Etcetera
              258 I6
              • Mar 09, 2010

Use a multi-meter and make sure you have 12 volts at the gate. If not the key switch won't work.

There are some wiring diagrams at http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html

Same with the dash switch, I think it's the center wire needs to have 12v when the key is on or in acc.

On my 75 the tailgate runs through a breaker not a fuse. Not sure about the 88, I know quite a bit of the wiring is different. If you are not getting 12v at the center of the switch then maybe try swapping that breaker for a fuse temporarily.
              Eric
              La Habra, CA
              75 Wagoneer

Comment

• 89wagdrvr
                232 I6
                • Aug 05, 2010

Ok thanks for the help. I bypassed the tailgate switch and got it working. What a pain in the arse that was. Seems like a crappy design.

Comment

Working...
                X