V8 timing cover/Oil pump refresher. pic heavy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

V8 timing cover/Oil pump refresher. pic heavy.

oil pump rebuild. off the engine. you can put new gears,midplate in with it on the engine,but anything more like i'll be doing requires removal of the cover,and then removal of the fuel and water pumps.

here's the victim. 9 bolts hold the cover on. the big plug is the pressure relief valve assembly.

if off the engine,before dis-assembly,pull up and down on the pump drive shaft to feel the freeplay. this one had a lot.

that will be remedied in a bit. remove the pressure relief plug first,withdrawing rthe assembly,as shown. it is in correct order for re-assembly in pic as well.

remove the 7 bolts holding the pump cover to the housing. 7/16" bolt heads.cover may need a tap or so to dislodge. if on the vehicle the gears will spill out. note typical score marks on cover.

after cleaning,you can measure the end gap of the gears to housing. the gears should stand out of the housing a few thou or more.you slide feeler guages between straight edge and timing cover to find amount. but don't be surprised if they don't. some are even flush. this one was.

so,here's how we fix that. get a flat pane of automotive glass. pull the side window out of your GW if you need one,lol!

get a tub of valve grinding paste,smear it over the glass. i'll first get the score marks out of the cover. big circles,or even straight line is fine,but either way you want to keep central pressure on the piece,and turn it 1/4 turn every 25 laps or so. add compound as you go.

the finished cover. the fine scratches are from trial fitting the cover.

next we do the cover,and remedy those flush gears. but first. the typical gaskets for these pump kits are about .010" thick,compress a couple thou upon tightening. thinner are available from Bulltear.com,and are a viable way to tighten clearances. but the thinner the gasket,the greater the chance for leaks.

so,we do the same lapping treatment to the cover. it is a little cumbersome,but once you try it you'll see there are ways to hold it squarely on the glass. remember to rotate it now and then,checking often. it's a pain constantly cleaning for checking but has to be done.

this may take a while,especially if it's a flush cover like this. you want to go till you have about .004-.005" clearance. then trial fit the cover with gasket installed.the gears must turn freely.

finished product.

now,the gears turn freely,yet end play is nearly nil. perfect.

also. all but the late engines came with a bypass in the cover. a little spring loaded piston next to the filter mounting stud. a real joke,it was eliminated on the very late engines. it can allow dirty oil to bypass the filter and go straight to the motor. the valve is seen on the upper cover. i highly recommend getting a plug for that valve,as shown on the lower cover, from Bulltear.com. they fit very nicely,easy to install.

also,if you have a very late model without the bypass valve,it'll likely take the later,smaller metric oil filter. the filter stud can be removed,and substituted with an earlier stud,to fit the earlier bigger filter. the cover threads were unchanged with the switch to the late filter.

the oil pump inlet necked down pretty small,i opened it up with the dremel.

i also enlarged the outlet hole in the pump,which is very small. i used a rasp.

here's the inlet and outlet together after the work was done.

here's a stock cover,same as what i started with.

that should move a little more oil.

i'll go into the final reassembly and pump prep for start-up later. it's the reverse of the take-apart process. also,MY engines don't get vaseline run through them.
    Last edited by babywag; 02-28-2018, 08:55 AM.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
  • mattmopar440
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • May 17, 2007

nice Write up mike is that the 3903/4
    87' Grand Wagoneer
    401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
    84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
    80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
    74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
    Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Inferior Chevy

Comment

• RED-85-Z51
      258 I6
      • Feb 02, 2009

I got my pump kit and midplate kit in from BJ's and Ill be doing this, along with an exh. manifold pull, with the engine still installed on the chassis. Looks like....fun
      1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer SOLD

1998 Ram 1500
      5.9 Magnum
      4 speed auto
      Quad Cab

1985 Corvette Z51
      350 Tuned Port Injection
      *restoring now*

1976 Corvette L48 Stingray
      -restoring-

1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan
      4.5 Liter V8
      all Options

Comment

• red mistress
        304 AMC
        • Sep 13, 2007

Wax on..wax off

Good write-up...Definately needs archive.

So how many strokes or how long to rub off few thou..?
        67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
        69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
        80 Honcho Sportside
        82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
        82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
        83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
        84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
        84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
        87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

• Lindel
          Perfesser of Jeepology
          • Jun 15, 2000

Good as usual Mike.
          Jeep Grounds
          RRV Homepage
          Texas Full Size Jeep Association
          1987 Grand Wagoneer
          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
          1999 Wrangler Sport
          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Charlie_B
            327 Rambler
            • Dec 18, 2005

nice write up. Doesnt look too bad.
            '79 Cherokee "Goldie" - under the knife Part I; Part II
            Currently: body is on, now finishing undercarriage
            '92 Cherokee "Rusty" - 3" lift, 31s
            '05 Evo MR "Eve"

Comment

• twmattox
              350 Buick
              • Feb 24, 2003

Thank you very very much...
              '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
              '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
              '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
              '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Comment

• newtojeeps
                350 Buick
                • Jun 28, 2006

As usual, great work, and thanks

Comment

• vintagetrks
                  304 AMC
                  • May 01, 2009

Very informative Thank You.
                  New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
                  My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
                  90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

Bingo. Is this archived?
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Tripwire
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jul 30, 2000

what about the idler shaft for the other gear?

the rebuild kits come with them and i had to install it on my last rebuild because of a teeny leak in that area

also, are there different springs to improve pressure on a worn engine?

if the chamber inside is grooved up is it junk?

Thanks for the write up
                      Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• SC/397
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 01, 2010

I use a flat file with different grades of sand paper wrapped around it. If the oil pump cover is scored as bad as yours is I start with 80 grit then 150 and down to 600 with WD40 as a lubricant. I don't use the mid plate. I also shoot for zero end clearance with the gasket in place.
                        The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• The Colonel
                          360 AMC
                          • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by Tripwire
                          also, are there different springs to improve pressure on a worn engine?
                          The spring is only for the max pressure relief- it won't improve a low oil pressure problem.

Comment

• Stupified
                            258 I6
                            • Oct 21, 2005

Thanks ! Great write up.
                            Just curious... what are your thoughts on clearancing the internals in the front cover. The last one I had off, the casting job in the oil flow galleys was horrible. I followed the majority of the mods as well as the zero clearance on the gear set, upgraded the pressure relief but did not use a midplate.

73 Wagoneer 360 400/20 D40/D30 3.31
                            285/70R17 DuraGrapplers
                            post flipped rear, rough country 6110 chevy front AAL
                            Camo green Zombie Response Vehicle

Comment

• The Colonel
                              360 AMC
                              • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by Stupified
                              Thanks ! Great write up.
                              Just curious... what are your thoughts on clearancing the internals in the front cover. The last one I had off, the casting job in the oil flow galleys was horrible. I followed the majority of the mods as well as the zero clearance on the gear set, upgraded the pressure relief but did not use a midplate.
                              I did clearance the oil pump cover & adapter oil passages like shown in the documents. I think it's worth-wild if you already have the cover off anyway.
                              Also like Mike shows here:
                              yup. i'll be crackin' the wallet real wide on this one.:lol: pardon the cell phone pics,this build is so cheap i couldn't afford to burn the calories to walk into the house for the real camera.:eek: this will be a low buck overhaul,but it won't be cobbled. the goal is a cheap motor with plenty of punch. the block was already

Comment

Working...
                              X