• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crash_AF
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2003

Help identifying J200

Greetings,
    I just purchased a J200 dually and I'm trying to identify the year as it has no paperwork and I'd like to get it titled.

It's a J200 with the serial# of 2406Z 10003. I've checked the door window LOF date codes and both windows come back dated the same, July of 63. Not sure they used the Z suffix in 63, so I'm not sure if that's the correct year.

The truck is a mostly original 230 4 speed truck with the big pattern 6 lug wheels and a Dana 70 rear axle so I'm pretty sure it's a factory dually.

Any help with pinning down the year would be appreciated. I'll get some pics of it up in the next day or so.
  • Crash_AF
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2003

Thanks, I've seen both of those, which is what confuses me.

D is listed as 8600GVW early while Z is listed as 8600 later

A 10000 serial number is correct for a 230, but I don't see it as available in the same time periods as the Z weight code.

The glass is date coded for July 63, but I need to check if there's an engine build date, and maybe pop the diff cover off and get the date off the ring gear.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• jpcoutts
      304 AMC
      • Jun 28, 2002

Welcome to the dually club! The page below was set up by Fellow FSJ'er and member here Elliott who has been a big source of info for me.

There is a lot of J truck dually info on his page. Your description of your truck sounds like it has characteristics of a factory dually. I had a "63 that originally had a Tornado engine but had been repowered with an SBC. That truck is now owned by another member here.
      Jim C
      '67 J3000 Dually
      '86 J20
      '79 CJ5(in pieces)
      '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
      Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• mud89
        304 AMC
        • Nov 18, 2009

In 1965 the suffixes A,B,C,D,E,F were replaced by W,X,Y,Z and the Tornado was still available , the serial numbers having still 5 digits beginning by "1" for these rigs.

So if your VIN is really "2406Z 10003", it's a 65 VIN (could be built in the last months of 1964, but still a '65)

Do you have the engine code , on a tab, passenger side ?
        I could give you a date from this code

By the way dually + short wheelbase = very rare..
        Last edited by mud89; 05-29-2020, 10:09 AM.
        J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Crash_AF
          232 I6
          • Oct 27, 2003

I'll look for the engine date code if I can make it to my storage this weekend. I also plan to drop the diff covers and put some fresh lube into them, so hopefully I can get some date codes from them.

The vin is correct. The plate is clean and clear, easy to read.

Comment

• mud89
            304 AMC
            • Nov 18, 2009

Thanks for confirmation

I have a pic of my engine build code but it's difficult to share, i have to use Flickr, maybe later

Your engine build code should look like these :
            TD60C41699
            TS60C13850
            The numbers after "C" are chosen randomly

The parts catalog says if it helps : "the engine code is located on a boss near the right front corner of the cylinder block"
            J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• mud89
              304 AMC
              • Nov 18, 2009

I found in my doc a scan of a sheet which is supposed to be a production sheet for these j-trucks with W,X,Y,Z suffixes in the VIN and Tornado engines.

According to this sheet Most of them have a build date after december 1964 as i said , the serial number beginning at 11,001, BUT a few hundreds, would have been built before in 63-64, the serial number beginning at 10,001 ?

So according to this sheet, during 63-64, both suffixes sets were used in the VINs ?

By the way still according to this sheet , your rig was built in january 1964.

Would be really interesting if it's confirmed or not by the engine code or by date codes on other parts (you already posted the LOF dates : july 63)

Anyone else with a jtruck with W,X,Y,Z in the VIN and a Tornado engine ?

Comment

• mud89
                304 AMC
                • Nov 18, 2009

Trying to share a pic of my engine number by using flickr

This number gives the production date : october 1963 for my rig, and i double check, it's accurate

The date decoding is not online !

Engine number by Herve-gruyer
                Last edited by mud89; 06-07-2020, 05:41 AM.

Comment

• Crash_AF
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 27, 2003

Thanks for the info, I'm going to go look for numbers tomorrow since work has been kicking my @$$ all week.

Are there any frame serial numbers I should look out for?

I appreciate the help so far.

Comment

• Crash_AF
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 27, 2003

Got the pictures of the J200 today. There is no engine number, so it must be a replacement.(editing the post to try to make pics work, bear with me)

The whole album is here on my NAS - I'm still trying to figure out how to insert them inline. http://hmswolf.quickconnect.to/photo/share/2bvu54u3
                    Last edited by Crash_AF; 06-06-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Miner_Jeepy
                      230 Tornado
                      • Mar 17, 2019

Dude! That thing is rad! I don't have as much historical knowledge as most people on here but my J300 has 10351 in the vin and the guy who sold it to me said it's a '64 but it's titled a '66. Based on a few details I'm fairly certain it's actually a '66 and the farmer dude was wrong.

Also, I'm guessing someone swapped your gauge cluster for a slightly later one, like, 67 to 70 maybe? Not sure when the cluster changed but it's not a huge deal. My truck has the original one for reference.
                      Consistently not running is a form of reliability.

Comment

• mud89
                        304 AMC
                        • Nov 18, 2009

Originally posted by Crash_AF
                        Got the pictures of the J200 today. There is no engine number, so it must be a replacement.(editing the post to try to make pics work, bear with me)

The whole album is here on my NAS - I'm still trying to figure out how to insert them inline. http://hmswolf.quickconnect.to/photo/share/2bvu54u3

Thanks for pics, you should have a date too on the Dana20, rear face, below "Spicer" :

P1040541 by Herve-gruyer
                        Last edited by mud89; 06-07-2020, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• mud89
                          304 AMC
                          • Nov 18, 2009

The Holley carb has a three digits date code on the front

Comment

• mud89
                            304 AMC
                            • Nov 18, 2009

Originally posted by Miner_Jeepy
                            Dude! That thing is rad! I don't have as much historical knowledge as most people on here but my J300 has 10351 in the vin and the guy who sold it to me said it's a '64 but it's titled a '66. Based on a few details I'm fairly certain it's actually a '66 and the farmer dude was wrong.

Also, I'm guessing someone swapped your gauge cluster for a slightly later one, like, 67 to 70 maybe? Not sure when the cluster changed but it's not a huge deal. My truck has the original one for reference.

Yep speedo is 66 to 72

10351 in the VIN doesn't correspond to a 66, maybe a '66 with a 64 VIN

Comment

Working...
                            X