• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vince007
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 22, 2016

Headlight Recommendations

Looking for recommendations to improve the quality of my headlights in my 1989 GW. The light output from the stock $10 lamps is less than I would like. I want to maintain the stock look as much as possible (so this rules out some of the fancy LEDs) and also do not want to break the bank, happy to spend some money but I have seen some really expensive options online. Would love to see any pics of installs you are happy with as well.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Can't say for the square headlights. In practically all the older round headlight rigs (7") I've run Hella "e-code" H4 lamps in the stock wattage. EXCELLENT LAMPS!
    No need for goofy exotic crazy expensive mega power retina burners. Critical aspects of lamps are the lens and the reflector design NOT the power. I've never had the need for the square lamp upgrades but when the time comes to upgrade my XJ lamps(soon) I'll give these a try if the dimensions are the same(?).

If Hella's square E-code (Euro design) lamps are as good as their round e-codes they should be great quality/function and cheaper than other quality brands like Cibie etc.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• nograin
      304 AMC
      • Dec 19, 2000

GE's "Nighthawk" 6054NH Halogen sealed beam. Note: A lot of replacement bulbs do not produce as much light as the original 6052 sealed beams. One clue is they only draw 35 Watts instead of 55 Watts on low beam. They would need to be twice as efficient electrically and have as good or better reflection and optics to match the originals. Yea. Right. Halogen is better but not that much better. These particular Nighthawks are 55/60W and have decent optics.

Hella's "Vision Plus" H4/HB2 Lamps with halogen bulb. DOT and ECE. The headlight is decent, although the bulb it often comes with is only OK.
      > A decent Narva or Phillips +30 or +50 bulb is worth considering for any H4 lamp.

Hella'd other E-code lamps vary in performance. The round 7" ones I tried years ago had too much high beam - low beam seperation for a car. Might be less noticible on our jeeps since the lamps are located higher.

I agree, the Cibie's are nice and bit a pricey.

The '86 up SJs draw headlight power through a relatively long and small wire (and matching fusible link). A relay system should result in less circuit resistance.

Lots more details and links here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=182263
      Last edited by nograin; 07-25-2018, 03:49 PM.
      '85 Grand Wagoneer
      360 727auto, NP229
      body by beer (PO)
      carries wood inside
      no "wood" outside
      My other car is a fish

Comment

• vince007
        230 Tornado
        • Aug 22, 2016

Appreciate the advice and greatly narrowing my research - was not paying attention to the change in wattage over the years - I suspect that may have as much of an impact as my aging eyesight

Comment

• SOLSAKS
          304 AMC
          • Jul 25, 2016

vince
          i took no grains advice on these bulbs a year or two ago
          and they are very good headlights
          in fact,... i am needing some round 2 headlight system
          headlights for an 04 jeep
          and this is the series i will use for those too.

they give off really good beams of light.

dave in NC
          SOLSAKS - dave
          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
          1982 J-10 Fleetside
          1988 grand wagoneer
          2004 RUBICON jeep
          Benson, NC

Comment

• vince007
            230 Tornado
            • Aug 22, 2016

SOLSAKS - dave - Which lights were you referring to?

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Whatever you do stay the hell away from the cheap offshore crap on eBay/online.
              They're almost all garbage and do nothing more than throw a crapload of unfocused light blinding other drivers.

Honestly I just drive around with my high beams on these days.
              Seem about the same lighting as "normal" headlights on modern vehicles.
              Nobody ever even flashes me...
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
                232 I6
                • Jun 18, 2018

I have a 67 Gladiator and the lights on that are abysmal.

My thought is to buy what is referred to as a "H4 Conversion" -- it's a non-sealed glass lens & back reflector, but with a modern H4 bulb socket.

You could put in regular halogen bulbs, or go all the way and use LED bulbs.

I have the LED bulbs in most of my motorcycles. The early LED bulbs had a terrible pattern, but the newer ones are indistinguishable from halogens, other than the color and brightness.

No matter which bulb you choose, you'll have to re-aim the headlights, though.

Should be under $100 for both the conversion and the bulb. Yeah, 3x more than a sealed beam, but you get 3x more light, and you can buy a replacement bulb at any auto parts store. It's not going to be long until you can't buy a sealed beam at a local store.

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                  258 I6
                  • Jun 11, 2017

I don't know if anything else has been modified, but my 1991 is running Autopal H4 lights and they're surprisingly good.

It's strange, I have the exact same ones in my 1998 XJ and those are nowhere near as good, which makes me wonder if the Waggy has a relay installed or upgraded bulbs.

Funnily enough, they're the exact same lights as on this site:
                  1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                  1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                  1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• vince007
                    230 Tornado
                    • Aug 22, 2016

Thanks for all the replies - I will start by ordering relay sets and then look at better bulbs.

Comment

• Mikel
                      • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by babywag

Honestly I just drive around with my high beams on these days.
                      Seem about the same lighting as "normal" headlights on modern vehicles.
                      Nobody ever even flashes me...

LOL. I did that one night by accident, drove for many miles with the high beams in my J300 on. Not one person flashed their lights at me
                      1969 M715 6x6
                      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• bwwhaler
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 17, 2012

I just switched to Hella H4's with some Led bulbs I got off Amazon, all I can say is WOW, it is super bright, even if I run them in the daytime, I can see the shadow of the car in front of me on road signs. Not bright enough that it blinds other drivers, I guess, because nobody has flashed me yet. I bought all the items off of Amazon, and the bulbs were around $70 bucks, but for the money I feel it can't be beat.
                        87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                        Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• Mikel
                          • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by bwwhaler
                          I just switched to Hella H4's with some Led bulbs I got off Amazon, all I can say is WOW, it is super bright, even if I run them in the daytime, I can see the shadow of the car in front of me on road signs. Not bright enough that it blinds other drivers, I guess, because nobody has flashed me yet. I bought all the items off of Amazon, and the bulbs were around $70 bucks, but for the money I feel it can't be beat.

Very cool. Can you post a link?
                          1969 M715 6x6
                          1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• bwwhaler
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 17, 2012

I did exactly what the OP did, it took me a few orders from Amazon for the correct H4's, but their return policy is awesome as well. I did buy the cheaper headlights, and they came on time and looked good, but I prefer the Hella's so I used them. I did everything else exactly the same.
                            87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                            Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• jpcoutts
                              304 AMC
                              • Jun 28, 2002

It's always a good idea to make sure all of the connections are clean and making good contact when dealing with headlights on an FSJ. No light will work as well as it should if it's not getting enough power. You'd be surprised how much this helps.
                              Jim C
                              '67 J3000 Dually
                              '86 J20
                              '79 CJ5(in pieces)
                              '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
                              Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

Working...
                              X