• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheCitrusMaster
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 23, 2019

Originally posted by tgreese
    - Grilles can be changed to the one you like. Don't let the grille type determine which years/models to buy.
    I have been looking into this a little bit. I know it can be very hard to find a rhino grill, but finding a whole truck with the rhino grill is seeming to be even more difficult (although I have only been searching for about a month).

Looking on facebook marketplace I found much more than craigslist. In a 100 mile radius of me, I have found one - J-200(7k), one - other gladiator that was trashy and rusted, and about a dozen or so different M715 in various conditions. There is one that I am talking to the owner about parting out since he doesn't have the title. I have a feeling I could acquire a rhino grill that way.

Originally posted by tgreese
    -I'd chose any 1974-on with a manual transmission.
    I love manual transmissions and I would imagine they are also better suited in these older vehicles. I have had a car with a 3 speed auto before (same one that had no PS/AC) and god was that a horrible experience.

I have been looking into J-10s and J-20s and Although at first I wasn't a fan of the razor grill, it is growing on me. I still like the rhino way better. J-10s and J-20s also seem to be pretty plentiful around me and that is another huge plus. And then there is the modern design factor.

If I was to buy a vehicle outside of Texas it would have to run so I could drive it back. Even if it did run, im not sure how comfortable I would feel driving something I haven't done any work on for that long a distance. If it didn't run im not sure how I could tow it (too heavy for my little ford ranger), that could get semi-costly and negate the cheapness of getting one farther away.

I talked with the owner of this 1979 J10 and he sent me a bunch of pictures and basically described everything about the truck. He said that although the AMC 360 in it right now does not run he has another AMC 360 that does. I wouldn't buy it. Cost, work required, and the auto trans are 3 strikes. It is a very nice looking truck though. I like the look of the J-10 golden eagles. I would think about just putting an LS in it like I have talked about but 5k is already way out of budget and he didn't sound like he would take the 2.5k I would give for it.

Later on I am going to post pictures of the M715 I looked at.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

You can make them look however you like with several different grill options. My wife likes the cheese grater.

That said, I'd be looking at J10 and J20 trucks (74-88)
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• TheCitrusMaster
        230 Tornado
        • Jun 23, 2019

I've been reading over threads, and looking at all of the differences, and I think you guys are right. I should be looking for a 74-on J10/20.

If I could find a J20 with the 360 and 4 speed manual, I would probably leave it stock and drive it as is.

Once I get the J10/20, I'll consider buying the front grill assembly from another Jtruck. Finding it may be an issue, but I guess I'll figure it out.

@fulsizjeep your rig looks very nice!

Comment

• bufurd
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 13, 2008

I've a 74 J20 that I've put 176,000 on in the last 4 years, put together right any of em will do it. My 70 I put about 35,000 a year on until the 74 got done.... The drums are fine if done up right, Hydro Boost is a good upgrade. Pre 74 will have closed knuckle front axles, I am a huge fan of by the way for various reasons. Good luck whichever one you chose.
          Current fleet
          Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
          Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
          Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
          Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
          07 JK Wife bought new...
          13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• UnkleMunky
            350 Buick
            • Oct 17, 2000

Originally posted by TheCitrusMaster
            I feel that with the right gear ratios and a different engine a gladiator could be daily driven. That being said, I dont own one so my opinion honestly means nothing. Also, I definitely wouldn't want it as my sole form of transportation.

I can live without power steering, and I can also live without AC (my first car had neither and I drove that thing for quite some time, I am also quite used to the hot weather). I would most likely however put a large fan of some sort in the cab...lol. I absolutely do not trust these older type brake systems, especially with this drum brake configuration, so I will definitely be modding the crap out of the braking system.
            Gear ratio: I am not sure if you are looking for *power* or *flow*. If you want power/torque, then higher (number) axle ratio is going to be your friend, but will chew it up at the gas pump. If you want flow, then a lower (number) axle ratio would be better. I've mostly had 3.54s, but the best highway drive I ever had in a J-truck was in an '83 J10 with a 258/4-speed and 2.73 axles. Combination was quite nice, and handled highway very well. My '78 with a 258/granny 4 speed and 3.54s HATES the highway. I have found its sweet spot is around 45-55mph on quiet highways. I get the best mpg (have gotten 19-20 numerous times in that range), and it's just happier. Above 60 I can tell she's not happy, and 70+ and she is really complaining. I try not to push her that hard because of that. She's happier in the slow lane. But that '83 would have been fine cruising the highways and would be the type of combination I'd look for in a daily driver that got regular high speed use. Just my thoughts on that....

As for manual steering...again, you might want to think twice on that. Had a '77 J10 with manual steering. Was mostly fine, but NO WAY was it worth trying to parallel park that puppy. If you never have to do tight steering like that, you could be fine, but if you did, it's a different animal in a truck like these versus a car.

Drum brakes...I have to agree with other comments about them being fine if you have them kept in good condition. I have worked on various vehicles with various combinations and in many other vehicles I prefer to work on disc brakes, but on the J-trucks, I never liked the front discs...at least to work on. I'd rather work on the drums on back. From a functional standpoint, it matters more that you have them kept up to shape than necessarily preferring disc or drum.

That being said, I talked to a kid nearby me here who is restoring/building a '63 Grand Prix...almost from scratch. He got a kit to change the front drums to disc (but leaving rears as drums) and being a GM brake system, he totally redid the brake lines and moved the proportioning valve up to the engine bay on the firewall. I thought....sheesh....and AMC put the valve thing on the dang frame below the cab. I liked his thinking better, as it's easier to access when you're dealing with it. But redoing all the lines is a good idea if there is any question as well. There are rear disc options, but regardless of your approach, you want everything in good condition!

Anyway....we wish you well on your search and hopefully we're helping you narrow your search down more.
            Michael (UnkleMunky)
            '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
            '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
            Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• UnkleMunky
              350 Buick
              • Oct 17, 2000

Forgot to mention....in regards to AC...

These trucks have the pull vents as well as the side triangle wings. If you find one that also has the sliding rear glass, you can get a ton of air flow from the stock options. AC not required. But it is noisier and you can dry your hair without a hair dryer!

AC is relative....I do prefer it in my critter cruiser, but I don't find it as necessary in the old Jeep. I also live way up north where, well....we're more likely to need the heater working...even in the summer months.
              Michael (UnkleMunky)
              '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
              '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
              Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by UnkleMunky
                ...I do prefer it in my critter cruiser...
                Critter cruiser: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! What a fantastic name!!! LOL!!!
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                X