• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madduck
    258 I6
    • Jul 19, 2005

anyone 3D print parts?

having just received my 79 cherokee, purchased site unseen...it's a little rougher than i was expecting. but that's ok, i love it.

orig plan was to get it running reliably enough that i could drive it around town and fix/restore as necessary. now i'm thinking i'll just wait until i can put it on casters and go all in, frame off.

reading through projects other have done it know a lot of the plastic parts on these vehicles are just shot. old, dried out, brittle pieces of plastic gears and such. so has anyone here done any 3D printing of parts?

i've even wondered if one could 3D print fender flares? you'd either need quite a large printer to do a complete flare in one piece or do the flare in sections. i know someone was discussing pressing flares, which i think is a great idea and would be very interested in purchasing. but how about 3D printing something?

i know pretty much zero about 3D printing and am going to researching this. this may be a ridiculous idea and want opinions either way but thought i'd throw the thought out here.

cheers, md
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

You can purchase fiberglass fender and flares. 3d printing for small parts can be done, but big ones are more difficult.

Comment

• Madduck
      258 I6
      • Jul 19, 2005

i'm going to guess that the fiberglass flares are more sturdy than anything a 3D printer could reproduce?

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

pretty sturdy and easier to work with and a lot cheaper to.

Comment

• Madduck
          258 I6
          • Jul 19, 2005

Thx

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

men-in-black 3D prints some parts, laser cuts some parts, and i think he has some CNCed parts, too.
            Men In Black's user page

I'm with wiley-moe. I think fiberglass is the way to go until someone makes a good set of re-pop metal ones. Honestly, I plan to run these because I think I can make it so I can replace them pretty easily if they get damaged.
            BJs Fiberglass fenders
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
              304 AMC
              • May 01, 2004

I contemplated this, and guess i still am. I have some small parts that are brittle and there is no way to find repops. The first i wanted to do are the front marker reflectors that only came on some 69-70.5 Wagoneers and J-trucks. Only issue is that i really need a good 3D scanner to get the vector file to then print. The scanner and printer together priced me out of pursuing further. I settled for flush-mounting my marker lenses on the WT Wagoneer.

These reflectors: http://www.lucasmopars.net/vehicle/u...agoneer-215300

If i had the scanner and printer, I would probably be printing all sorts of oddball stuff!
              One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
              http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
              95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
              50 CJ3A
              77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• chubbinius
                258 I6
                • Oct 31, 2018

Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
                The first i wanted to do are the front marker reflectors that only came on some 69-70.5 Wagoneers and J-trucks. I settled for flush-mounting my marker lenses on the WT Wagoneer.

These reflectors: http://www.lucasmopars.net/vehicle/u...agoneer-215300
                I saw a link to them on one of the build threads on here that had markers like those from a big rig truck parts website. I will see if I can find it again.
                1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                -Dauntless 350 V8
                -D27 front/D44 rear
                2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• chubbinius
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 31, 2018

JPSwapMohn, I couldn't find the actual thread where I saw the lens referenced or the site, but would the Jeepster ones be the same size/fit for the bezel?

If so, the above link has them for $4 each if that helps.
                  1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                  -Dauntless 350 V8
                  -D27 front/D44 rear
                  2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                    304 AMC
                    • May 01, 2004

Originally posted by chubbinius
                    JPSwapMohn, I couldn't find the actual thread where I saw the lens referenced or the site, but would the Jeepster ones be the same size/fit for the bezel?

If so, the above link has them for $4 each if that helps.
                    Really slow response, but the Jeepster reflectors are not quite the same. Might be able to cut them to fit, if they are close.
                    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                    50 CJ3A
                    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

Working...
                    X