Mudbull-68 Gladiator diesel build-need help deciding things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mudbull
    232 I6
    • Aug 11, 2011

Still anybodys guess as to when i can get to the body and other fun stuff (1- 2 months) but i thought id put up a picture of it on all fours (currently with my friends axles underneath it).
    1968 Gladiator Thriftside
    12v p-pump cummins
    Nv5600/Nv241dhd, D60 front, D80 rear

Comment

• nc wagoneer
      350 Buick
      • May 08, 2012

When I get around to it i plan on going 6.2 just cuz its cheap to do and I don't have much money. But if you have the $$$ go for the 5.9!!!
      old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
      Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
      "BROWED AND PROUD"
      Originally posted by fulsizjeep
      Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

• Mudbull
        232 I6
        • Aug 11, 2011

That was my strategy too, but it turns out sometimes you can get lucky on these cummins rams if you keep your eyes peeled. It really is easier and cheaper to buy a whole donor too. In the end depending on what you intend to do with it either would be more then enough fun!!
        With that being said, i got to drive my friends 1000lb-ft cummins a few blocks this weekend (previous owner blew up a couple dana 70's with it..that much torque). I have to say i was planning on a stock turbo with light modding but the speed, sound, and torque is infectious haha...
        12v p-pump cummins

Comment

• Mudbull
          232 I6
          • Aug 11, 2011

Finally got my car done and have gotten a chance to start on the kaiser!! heres what we got done today, got a lot of metal work to do before it can get dropped on the frame...

12v p-pump cummins

Comment

• Resbum
            327 Rambler
            • Jun 16, 2010

Cool beans. I'm glad for you that you're able to get back to this.
            Originally posted by Resbum
            "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• Mudbull
              232 I6
              • Aug 11, 2011

Thanks! me too! its been a long time coming, but im hoping to make this project as quick as possible, bodywork being the biggest issue....I almost hydrolocked my engine in my car today after a medium sized storm and some huge drainage issues (i have at most 4" ground clearance, and was forced to go through 10"+ of water). So i want to get the kaiser on the road ASAP..maybe even lift it some more haha...
              12v p-pump cummins

Comment

• Mudbull
                232 I6
                • Aug 11, 2011

Bit of rust repair, like the whole rocker panel (inner and outer). Drivers side is good now up until windshield pillars for rust, Floors will not be done until cab is sitting on the Ram frame in case any mounts need to be fabbed or something like that...Onto the passanger side!

I mounted a Ram's power brake/master/ dist block assembly on the firewall, still need to modify the pedal-to-firewall bolt holes. I also gave up on the Rams ac/heater box, its too wide, so ill have to order a vintage air box or something when we get closer to that.

12v p-pump cummins

Comment

• rwjohnstone
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 17, 2011

I feel your pain with all that rust. . .
                  "Decide what to be and go be it." - The Avett Brothers

1964 J-200 "Alice" Build Thread:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150066

1979 CJ-7 (s) - Status: Dismantled Hibernation

1981 J-10 - Status: Parts? Daily Driver? Lawn Ornament?

1993 Cherokee Sport - Status: Sold (408,000 miles)

Comment

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
                    Also, I'll bet you if you cleanup that Clifford intake from your old I6, you could sell it here to help fund your Cummins project.
                    Those are desirable aftermarket intake for the folks running an I6

From the looks at the cab and bed on your truck, you are gonna need all the $$$ you can get!
                    That Clifford intake is for pre '79 AMC 6 cyls and should go with the exhaust if someone wants to put it on a newer motor. It'll fit up to '90 Wrangler 4.2L
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudbull
                      and my work in progress/scrap metal-thanks to ignorant, clueless girl:

It's a shame about your Ruster. Mine had the 318 with 340 crank (ex-Cop motor) and some bimbo on her way home from the bar plowed into a train then hit me (train was moving) while I was waiting at the crossing. Yes, her car was green.

PS: While your diesel is out, check to see if the oiler fix has been done yet. It would suck to install it, only to have it fall out and wipe out the cam/crank gears!
                      Last edited by Carnuck; 11-01-2012, 10:11 AM.
                      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Mudbull
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 11, 2011

I sold the Intake on here a while ago, engine and trans after that...

The first thing i plan on doing with the engine is replacing all the seals on the timing cover and making sure the dowel pin is tabbed. It has 285000mi on it now, owner said its 100% stock untouched.

Sorry to hear about your luck w/ your duster Carnuck...My demon is green now (so idiot drivers can see me better haha)
                        12v p-pump cummins

Comment

I sold the Intake on here a while ago, engine and trans after that...

The first thing i plan on doing with the engine is replacing all the seals on the timing cover and making sure the dowel pin is tabbed. It has 285000mi on it now, owner said its 100% stock untouched.

Sorry to hear about your luck w/ your duster Carnuck...My demon is green now (so idiot drivers can see me better haha)
                          Actually, the green blends in with the grass and trees so people hit them more often (according to the insurance institute findings)

Comment

• Mudbull
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 11, 2011

Originally posted by Carnuck
                            Actually, the green blends in with the grass and trees so people hit them more often (according to the insurance institute findings)
                            hmm, very interesting. Obviously i hadnt thought of that haha...it was between white and sublime, less for standing out and more personal preferrence, i also installed an LED 3rd brake light..but when you plow into someone at 50mph (whose completely stopped), not much couldve grabbed your attention in time.

A side note on the thriftside bed...its so far gone that Im just going to be saving the fenders and bottom/side 'skirts', buying ford stepside sides, and using the floor from a ram bed, but more of that in a couple months
                            Last edited by Mudbull; 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM.
                            12v p-pump cummins

Comment

hmm, very interesting. Obviously i hadnt thought of that haha...it was between white and sublime, less for standing out and more personal preferrence, i also installed an LED 3rd brake light..but when you plow into someone at 50mph (whose completely stopped), not much couldve grabbed your attention in time.

A side note on the thriftside bed...its so far gone that Im just going to be saving the fenders and bottom/side 'skirts', buying ford stepside sides, and using the floor from a ram bed, but more of that in a couple months
                              I'd like a set of those fenders to put on my '83 Sportside. Box looks pretty much the same otherwise.

Comment

• Mudbull
                                232 I6
                                • Aug 11, 2011

...I have no shortage of projects, but why doesnt someone just make a fiberglass mold of these fenders, it sounds like they'd sell like hotcakes.

Passanger side rocker is done, firewall, floor, top of cab still to go, but we've got about a month before we can take the Ram appart (school/ work get in the way).
                                12v p-pump cummins

Comment

Working...
                                X