• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conehead
    232 I6
    • Apr 24, 2006

FiTech distributor

I'm considering replacing the edelbrock proflow system with the FiTech EFI 4. I know I can use the electric fuel pump that came with the proflow but it also came with a mallory distributor and was wondering if I could use it too with the FiTech system. The distributor has three wires into it, RED, BLACK and one marked SHIELD. It doesn't have any timing advance mechanism on it, that's done by the programing the ECU. I know FiTech says it requires a two wire distributor but does that include the SHIELD wire? Thanks
  • yossarian19
    258 I6
    • Nov 13, 2016

I can't answer your question, but lemme ask, why do you want to ditch the proflo MPFI setup to go with a fancypants TBI?

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

x2
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• conehead
        232 I6
        • Apr 24, 2006

It's the first version of the pro-flow system. I have had it on the car for a number of years and have never been happy with it. I'll admit I'm not an expert on tuning fuel injection systems but there are hundreds of different tuning variable to deal with and I could not get the thing to stop pinging or running too rich or surging at idle. I gave up trying to fix the problems with edelbrock years ago and now that I'm in the process rebuilding the engine again I thought I might try a newer self learning system. I can buy an upgrade to the pro-flow 2 system but it's a ridiculously expensive, over 2 grand and from what I've read it isn't any better.

Comment

• ShagWagon
          350 Buick
          • Apr 10, 2016

It has an option for a different than stock setup called TACH. That might be what you have.

I skipped that part because I have a stock distributor.

Here's PDF

87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• Abunchahicks
            230 Tornado
            • Dec 01, 2016

You should only need the two wires going to the pickup. So the shield wire shouldn't be needed.

Comment

• Bill USN-1
              258 I6
              • Nov 11, 2006

You can NOT use a timing control distr with the cheap 400HP system.
              It is a fuel only system like the Howell EFI.

You need to run the 600hp system to have fuel and timing control like my GM based systems are.
              Bill USN-1
              Fuel Injection Moderator at BinderPlanet
              Hamilton Fuel Injection
              75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
              1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS

Comment

• Abunchahicks
                230 Tornado
                • Dec 01, 2016

Originally posted by Bill USN-1
                You can NOT use a timing control distr with the cheap 400HP system.
                It is a fuel only system like the Howell EFI.

You need to run the 600hp system to have fuel and timing control like my GM based systems are.
                The EFI 4 that he is considering is the 600hp unit.

I wish they made the 400hp with timing control.

Comment

Working...
                X