• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 86_J10
    232 I6
    • Oct 21, 2001

Aftermarket ECU

Been a while since i posted, just some FYI Haltech has a replacment for the GM tbi ECU that is fully programmable, here is a link

They also have a unit that will run 4 ( high impedence) injectors and has 4 ignition outputs, so you could do wasted spark on an 8 cylinder. It sells for less than $1,000.

A third option if you only want to control spark is the Megjolt Jr.

Less than $200, but you will need to hunt down some parts in the junkyard.

Comment

• fasteddy
      232 I6
      • Feb 26, 2010

And if you want a pretty good free efi education, take a long look at sdsefi.com. I'm not necessarily a fan of their system - it works just fine, but it's not laptop compatible or data loggable, last time I looked.

I'm a MegaSquirt guy these days. Can't beat the features vs. price, and you can get assembled systems cheap...

Comment

• Blake
        304 AMC
        • Dec 22, 2005

I"ll throw in my two cents here. I've build several rigs with various FI technology. DIY, Holley and AFI. All of them did their job, but I was never able to get them dialed in perfectly.

I'm currently running a holley truck avenger carb on my truggy and LOVE it. It starts really well (even in extreme cold) and has NEVER even thought about stumbling on steep inclines. I rolled the truggy a few weeks ago and it started and ran perfect while the truck was on it's side. In fact, the Holley TA will run perfect on angles that starve an AMC 360 of oil....

The Holley carb is getting 11 mph on a fresh 360 and 42's (5.38 gears), has no electronics to worry about and is amazing easy to tune.

Oh and I bought it used for $150 I can't see how any 'cheap' EFI would ever be 'better' than my Holley TA.

PS - I work on computers for a living so it's not like I'm 'against' electronics.

Edit - Fast forward a couple of years and I finally bit the bullet, got the moates, read the BP faq's and I'm now converting my third AMC V8 to a junkyard setup. Yes, a carb can run great, but TBI really is better.
        Last edited by Blake; 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM.
        Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• Blake
          304 AMC
          • Dec 22, 2005

edit - see above
          Last edited by Blake; 08-10-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
            • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by shepherdblake
            But then again, I actually wheel my truggy every weekend, drive it work, go get groceries, etc.

Those with EFI always seem to be messing with it. I just drive mine
            But we're messing with it WHILE we're driving.

When I had my 2150 carb, it usually never gave me problems except for the usual vapor locking which is not the carb's fault, really.

It's just like the auto vs. manual transmission debate. Different strokes for different folks.
            Ethan Brady
            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Blake
              304 AMC
              • Dec 22, 2005

Originally posted by FSJ Guy

It's just like the auto vs. manual transmission debate. Different strokes for different folks.
              Ya, so true.

I'd still rather wheel than wrench

Comment

• paulyslug
                232 I6
                • Jan 03, 2011

Edelbrock EFI

I've got the Edelbrock EFI system and after finally getting the correct chip for the AMC 360 the engine was running great. I'm in the process of adding a performance cam and will need to tune afterwards. I've been very happy with it, save the wildly inconvienent placement of the ECU inside the dash. This requires removing the lower half of the dash to swap chips which really shouldn't have happened in the first place but the PO had the wrong one in there.
                1987 Grand Wagoneer w Rhino Grill
                17" Pro Comp Rims
                Edelbrock Pro Flow 2 EFI

Comment

• smogdredd
                  258 I6
                  • Jul 19, 2010

Depends

For a bolt on with a stock cam Howell is by far the best. Comparing price and hassel nothing comes close. That said if You have a mild or bigger cam You need tuning capabilitys beyond what a typical bolt on setup can do. I have heard nothing but raves about the flexibility of Mega squirt but it is not for the casual bolt on mechanic. I'm waiting for the money fairy to land on My doorstep so that I can play with Mega squirt. Unfortunatly My children are addicted to food and clothing so it will have to wait.
                  '63 wagoneer '87 360 running gear except T case (207), warn hubs, 3.56 diffs and EFI Holley pro-jection using ford cfi throttle body Stock dist. with four wire HEI module.

'67 Scout 152cid w/EFI and turbo also My own a little help from Chrysler. I am a fabricator, I make stuff up!

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

• fullsizejeepfreak
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 13, 2010

still lovin howell

about 2300 miles since the install, I've added a quart of oil due to the leak at the oil filter adapter (stock), going to take care of that soon....as for the Howell; no problems, no complaints, no tuning, rarely open the hood. THANKS HOWELL, I LOVE YOU GUYS! My wife loves ripping on the newer pickups around town. She leaves em sitting at the light, lets up at the speed limit and watches as they fly by all pssd off!
                    87 grand waggy SOLD :-(

99 Suburban 4x4 (wife's DD) 3" lift, dyna pro m/t's

Comment

• jaber
                      Dragin Az
                      • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by fullsizejeepfreak
                      about 2300 miles since the install, I've added a quart of oil due to the leak at the oil filter adapter (stock), going to take care of that soon....as for the Howell; no problems, no complaints, no tuning, rarely open the hood. THANKS HOWELL, I LOVE YOU GUYS! My wife loves ripping on the newer pickups around town. She leaves em sitting at the light, lets up at the speed limit and watches as they fly by all pssd off!
                      LOL, my wife exploded the t-case in hers and she was almost unbearable for the 3 days it took me to get it swapped.

Congratulations.
                      Jeff

'43 cj2a
                      '51 Willys p/u
                      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                      '68 Panel Delivery
                      '74 CJ5
                      '75 J-20 Wrecker
                      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                      '77 J-10 p/u
                      '79 Cherokee
                      '88 Grand Wagoneer
                      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• REDONE
                        304 AMC
                        • Aug 19, 2002

I don't post in threads I don't know much about any more, not because I want to seem smart, but because ten years around here as taught me not to open my fingertips and come across as a jackwagon.

I don't know hardly anything about fuel injection except R&R pieces parts. That, and that I never got more than 14mpg in any of my FSJs but that I get 18 in my TBI 88 Suburban. I've spent the last four hours saying "uh-hm" to my wife and kids whenever it sounds like they're talking to me as I click on the links in this thread. Awesome info!

Mucho props to all that contributed! I'm almost starting to think I know enough about computers to try it!
                        2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
                        79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
                        304/T18/D20/D44s
                        What's been did:
                        Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
                        MSD Streetfire based TFI
                        Custom-hack gauge cluster
                        Razor swap
                        Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
                        2 knob tape deck!
                        3" homebuilt lift
                        Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• fullsizejeepfreak
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 13, 2010

Originally posted by jaber
                          LOL, my wife exploded the t-case in hers and she was almost unbearable for the 3 days it took me to get it swapped.

Congratulations.
                          yea, ours was down for a while prior to the TBI swap, she was drivin the cherokee. I cant imagine how unbearable she'd be now after having the wag back (without spitting and sputtering) for a while. She LOVES her truck with the TBI! No more tweaking, leaking, vapor locking...just driving. And again, thanks to FSJGuy, jaber, ristow and all the others who take time to let the rest of us know when we're going astray.....
                          87 grand waggy SOLD :-(

99 Suburban 4x4 (wife's DD) 3" lift, dyna pro m/t's

Comment

• newwagwheeler
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 31, 2007

I have the opportunity to hijack a tbi from a chevy p/u w/ a 350. A doner truck. There are plenty of threads here that say do it, and just as many that say stick w/ a carb. I do not wheel too much and my rig is a DD. Naturally I am looking for a bit more power...currently running a stock 360... but I want to try to get my MPG to look a little less dismal. Any thoughts?

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                              • Mar 20, 2005

You should be able to put that OEM system on your truck with very little modification. Check out the Binder Planet forums. The TBI moderator over there, Bill, is very good at running stock systems on other engines. Since there's not much difference in displacement, you should have a decent running truck fairly quickly.

You said this is your DD. I hope you have another vehicle, as the conversion can often take more than a weekend, especially if you've never done one before.
                              Ethan Brady
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• newwagwheeler
                                232 I6
                                • Aug 31, 2007

Thanks.... sorry about the hijack...love this site.

Comment

Working...
                                X