Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

Well this makes 2 diesel threads running right now that I know of for those who keep on about the 4BT have youseen the prices? Copy and pasted from thread running the general area
    Actually there are several adapters out there for the MB engine
    one uses the AX 15 found behind late model jeeps if you get a 94 and up the slave is on the outside you can buy an clocking ring that will allow you to run the D300 transfer case!
    Adapter

Clocking ring
    Adapting the AX15, AX5, AW4, NV3550 & NSG370 Transmissions to the Jeep Dana Model 300 and FSJ NP Transfer Cases

Diesel forums of interest

Mercedes-Benz Forum and Technical DIY Discussions for Enthusiasts. PeachParts is NOT affiliated, sponsored nor authorized by Daimler AG.
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• RCB
      232 I6
      • Nov 10, 2008

I keep hearing about the expense of 4bts. While brand new ones are the typical price of any new diesel engine, I have found many 4bt's for a very reasonable price. Of course, living in close proximity to Cummins headquarters probably helps out a bit with availability, but still.

I was torn between a Mercedes and Cummins at the outset, but for me, there seemed to be more options and better documentation for the 4bt swaps and issues.

There is a guy around here with the mercedes in his Jeep and it does pretty good from what he says.

In the end I still have to vote for the Cummins.

Comment

• Badawg
        232 I6
        • Dec 26, 2009

Have you considered a marine dsl? I have done swaps to boats with dual marine Gm 350s. Engines used were Yanmar 4 cyl Turbos.

It could be expensive to buy a new one, but the chances of finding a used one is pretty good.
        74 Wagoneer, 360/th400/QT
        02 Civic SIR Hatch
        06 Acura TL
        64 Dodge A-100 Van

Comment

• EnigmaticEngineer
          232 I6
          • Jan 05, 2010

MB OM617

I am by no means stating that the MB om617 is the Best Engine Out There...and there are many advantages to the 4bt, but around these parts...a Running, High Mileage 4bt with No trans is a minimum of $2000 bucks. I have 3 options right now on craigslist for 500 bucks Running, driving MB 300SD's. Throw on a proper side drop divorced transfercase and make shafts...just my opinion

Nathan
          1969 Jeep Wagoneer

Currently Sitting and Possibly for sale.

Photobucket
          http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ep%20Wagoneer/

Facebook: EnigmaticEngineer
          Gmail: EnigmaticEngineer

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Money is important for sure but so is power/driveability and keep in mind all USA 300D's came with an AT and though the 300 is a good motor the AT adds to it's serious dog reputation so you'll need a manual tran/clutchs and flywheel set up on top of the $500 for the motor.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• poolmike
              232 I6
              • Mar 03, 2005

Cummins is the only real industrial diesel out of the big three. Powerstroke and Duramax are both good engines for trucks, but at the end of the day they are not built for industrial applications.

A 4BT is a perfect match for a FSJ. A 6 would be great if you can make it work.
              '68 M715, Cummins P-pump 5.9, NV4500, NP205, 14 bolt/Dana 60, 20x10 American Racing Mojave's w/12.50R20 Michelin XL's, relentless rust....

Comment

• EnigmaticEngineer
                232 I6
                • Jan 05, 2010

Hmmm....

Originally posted by joe
                Money is important for sure but so is power/driveability and keep in mind all USA 300D's came with an AT and though the 300 is a good motor the AT adds to it's serious dog reputation so you'll need a manual tran/clutchs and flywheel set up on top of the $500 for the motor.
                Are you sure that All came with Auto's? I saw one for sale the other day (too clean and too pricey to hack up) that had a 5 speed in it here in AZ...(not claiming its a USA car, just happened to notice the 5 speed trans instead of the auto)

I was hoping that I would Find a 5 speed car when I do my swap....that might be out the window though lol.

Thanks for the tid bit
                Nathan
                1969 Jeep Wagoneer

Currently Sitting and Possibly for sale.

Photobucket
                http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ep%20Wagoneer/

Facebook: EnigmaticEngineer
                Gmail: EnigmaticEngineer

Comment

• Towtruck
                  350 Buick
                  • Oct 11, 2001

The 4 cylinder Isuzu NPR engines are a no brainer if you're not stuck on four wheel drive. The later engines are available in 175 and 205 horsepower versions. Transmission is an overdrive automatic or six speed O/D manual. Spectacular setup for a tow vehicle or commuter. If you must have 4wd...somebody should snap up that setup from Jeepinpete. Why anyone would put an ancient technology 4bt in a vehicle when these state of the art gems are available at a decent price is...puzzling...
                  J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• poolmike
                    232 I6
                    • Mar 03, 2005

Originally posted by Towtruck
                    The 4 cylinder Isuzu NPR engines are a no brainer if you're not stuck on four wheel drive. The later engines are available in 175 and 205 horsepower versions. Transmission is an overdrive automatic or six speed O/D manual. Spectacular setup for a tow vehicle or commuter. If you must have 4wd...somebody should snap up that setup from Jeepinpete. Why anyone would put an ancient technology 4bt in a vehicle when these state of the art gems are available at a decent price is...puzzling...
                    The 4bt is a simple machine. No tech/low tech is really nice. No glow plug nonsense, no wiring, etc. It is a simple swap.
                    '68 M715, Cummins P-pump 5.9, NV4500, NP205, 14 bolt/Dana 60, 20x10 American Racing Mojave's w/12.50R20 Michelin XL's, relentless rust....

Comment

• RCB
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 10, 2008

Originally posted by poolmike
                      The 4bt is a simple machine. No tech/low tech is really nice. No glow plug nonsense, no wiring, etc. It is a simple swap.
                      Absolutely. You have a lot of options with it. There are many more powerful options, but I prefer straight forward engines that are easy to work on with good parts availability. Some engines are not so much fun to get parts for.

Comment

• j-10 junkie
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 12, 2006

Which Diesel

Not to complicate the question here but I knew of a local guy that had a 3208 Caterpillar V-8 diesel in a chevy 1 ton that used it to haul farm tractors to Mexico for resell. Don't recall what trans he was running. But recall looking under the hood at the installation and looked like a pretty straight forward setup. I do recall that for the weight he was pulling and the engine weight he had to add some additional springs, front and rear. I do know that these cat diesels came in a one eighty horse power and a two ten. Have know idea of the weight or what transmissions would fit. I know some people thought that these engines had reliability issues. But, I also knew a local man that ran these engines exclusively in tandem axle grain trucks that got excellent reliability from them with just good maintenance. AS far as I know, the older engines required no computers and are very plentiful, as they came in a lot of ford medium duty trucks and all kinds of tractors and AG equipment.

Just a thought....

Comment

• Towtruck
                          350 Buick
                          • Oct 11, 2001

The 3208 is too big to fit the space. Not a great engine to start with in my experience (twins in a boat).

But on the subject of marine applications, here's a link to a variation of the GM/Hummer 6.5 that would fit...supercharged (not turbo) V8 in a nice package. Used to be built in Stillwater Oklahoma...not sure if they've moved assembly to Sweden or not. Expensive, of course, but very interesting concept if you're a techie...check it out. I'd prefer it to the Yanmar six for a boat...or a truck. Check out their twin supercharged 6.6 Duramax hot rod...

marinedieselengineering.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, marinedieselengineering.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                          Last edited by Towtruck; 11-11-2010, 07:21 AM.
                          J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• BGW
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 02, 2009

I'm going to look into the dimensions of a Ford 6.9. They're cheaper than 7.3s around here and there aren't as many electronics. I wonder if I could shoehorn one in the J20 I've been looking at.
                            1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• MAPit
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 05, 2008

Go with a 93-98 P pump Cummins 6BT They have the best reputation for being able to upgrade and for not falling apart. You can also find some sort of adapeter plate or bell housing to fit them to almost any trans. finley excpt for the fuel pump. the moter was the same from 89 to 98 so you have 9 years worth of engines to pull parts off of. My 91 6bt with a 727 3speed gets 20mpg. A stock 4bt is going to be a DOG when compared to the 6bt. and if you want more power your going to end up with the same fuel mileage.
                              82 Cherokee Chief with a Cummins 6BT : Patton

Comment

• bronco23
                                230 Tornado
                                • Oct 25, 2010

i say 6bt cummins for the fact that the 4bt looks goofy under the hood with so much extra space that if lifted you wont be able to reach anything and the fact that you can find gen 1 matted to the TF727 would say that would be less fab work and save on that 500 dollar adapter and you keep your t case trans and axels down side is you will be forced to lift it and put bigger tires so so so sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X