78 Wagoneer, Building a driver! New Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

If anyone is going to use POR 15, make sure you tape the top of the can before you start painting. If you get any paint in that lip, you will never get the lid back off. Also the longer you leave the product open to air and humidity, the shorter the shelf life. I recommend reading the instructions.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

Passenger front door looks like it has a lot of bondo on it.
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

The whole bottom of the door had dents and filler. When I started sanding, the bondo started breaking up, so I just took it down to bare metal. Looks like something scraped against the door and creased it. No metal work was done, just slapped the filler right over the dents. I was able to push some of the dents out from the back side, but it needed a lot of filler even with what I did.
        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

OUCH!!!!
          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

New filler on.
            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

I worked a second job at auto zone for almost 4 years. September 12th. I had enough and quit. Since that day, I have worked on the Wagoneer every day. I'am making up for lost time, I need to get this thing back together!!! Hope to get some primer on this door tomorrow.
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                258 I6
                • Dec 17, 2018

Can't say it enough WOW and quality work!

Hope you left Auto Zone on a good note and didn't quit because of poor people or management but glad to hear that its opened up time for the Jeep.
                Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
                Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
                PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
                "Soon" is a relative term.
                Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

One of my personal rules:Never try to paint a car again. Your thread is making me question that rule. You do such amazing work.

Is that crease picture before or after you pushed on it from the back? That crease is probably related to (happened around the same time as) this:
                  Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
                  How come you left Autozone? sucked that bad, eh? I keep having ideas of a part time job at one my local mcparts just for a discount but then my schedule scolds me for even thinking about it.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 25, 2016

more good, hard work from Louisiana

we all like this project.

glad to see it is moving along.

on the POR-15 container
                    great product
                    but you are correct on sealing the can properly.

dave in NC
                    SOLSAKS - dave
                    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                    1982 J-10 Fleetside
                    1988 grand wagoneer
                    2004 RUBICON jeep
                    Benson, NC

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 20, 2014

Thanks all! That is after I pushed the dents out. I did what I could. That door is in rough shape. Maybe on day I will find a better one, but it will do for now.
                      As for AutoZone, it was a part time job for me. I took it while my wife was back in school. It was just time for me to move on.
                      1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Door hinges in paint stripper.
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

Looking super. Good call on painting the inside of the doors. If they had just done that at the factory. If would not even have to look good. But it would sure help with preservation.
                          Looking forward to more.
                          Melford1972 says...
                          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra
                          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021
                          Keep a small violin, There is always a worse story than your own

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 20, 2014

Started on the last door. One of the brackets that holds the vent window in place broke or rusted off. I cleaned it up a little and welded it back together.
                            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 20, 2014

1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 20, 2014

Was able to do a little body work on the doors, tomorrow I hope to to get a few coats of high build primmer on it.
                                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X