Edelbrock 1406 (Non-EGR) with Edelbrock performer intake (with EGR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FallonJeeper
    258 I6
    • May 28, 2010

Edelbrock 1406 (Non-EGR) with Edelbrock performer intake (with EGR)

Anybody running this set-up?

I just bought a Edelbrock Performer Series 1406 to replace my 1400. There are two vacuum ports on the front, Timed (ported vacuum), Full (manifold vacuum). I need vaccum for the stock distributor, vacuum advance, EGR and charcoal canister.

I know the dizzy needs ported vacuum

What's the best routing connection for the EGR and canister? They apper to use ported vacuum as well.
  • Lambrewski
    350 Buick
    • Jun 05, 2003

What year is your engine/emissions system??

My '78 is set up like the following. It passes both CA and AZ SMOG testing (both emissions and visual) with no problem.

'79 (close enough to my '78's) Vacuum

Hookup Pics

Hope it's useful. Other year's vacuum diagrams are at:

Good luck.
    '78 Chief S W/T 360cid +.030 & RV cam, AGR steering gear, '80's Astro Van hydroboost, '84 GW steering pump, Edel elec fuel pump, TFI, MSD 6A, MSD eCore 48Kv coil, 8.5mm Spiral, TH400 w/ TCI +2qt pan & shift kit, BW1339, open D44's w/ 3.54's, EDL1406 w/ off-road, 4" spring lift, Rancho, 15x10 MT Classic Locks w/ 33x12.5 Toyo OpenCountry M/T

Comment

• FallonJeeper
      258 I6
      • May 28, 2010

Thanks, that's pretty clear. I'm currently running the egr, vacuum advance, and evap, together, off the ported vacuum. All my emissions stuff is gone. It makes it pretty simple.

Thanks again, BTW how does yours run? Any performance issues?

Comment

• Lambrewski
        350 Buick
        • Jun 05, 2003

It runs great after plugging the EGR off. I had an off-idle stumble that I couldn't 'tune out' with the carb......finally put a round fuse inside the vac line and it runs great and passes SMOG.

About to re-gear from 3:54's to 4:27's so I can spin the 33" mud tires....
        '78 Chief S W/T 360cid +.030 & RV cam, AGR steering gear, '80's Astro Van hydroboost, '84 GW steering pump, Edel elec fuel pump, TFI, MSD 6A, MSD eCore 48Kv coil, 8.5mm Spiral, TH400 w/ TCI +2qt pan & shift kit, BW1339, open D44's w/ 3.54's, EDL1406 w/ off-road, 4" spring lift, Rancho, 15x10 MT Classic Locks w/ 33x12.5 Toyo OpenCountry M/T

Comment

• FallonJeeper
          258 I6
          • May 28, 2010

Cool, and just to think, I spent 50 bucks on an EGR valve about 3 months ago. Guess I can just plug mine off too.

I want to re-gear my 3.31's to 4.56's. That will happen this summer.

Thanks!

Comment

• FallonJeeper
            258 I6
            • May 28, 2010

Got the 1406 installed today.

Install was pretty straight forward. Some of the things I did:

1. Got the Edelbrock 2732 Carb adapter plate to match up with the Edelbrock Performer Intake

2. Bought a new fuel filter (always recommended)

3. Since the 1406 does not have a fuel bowl vent, unlike it's stock replacement emissions compliant brother, I removed the evap system entirely from the equation. In doing so, that left me with an extra vacuum port on the PCV valve that I ha to do something with. Previously the PCV received vacuum from the PCV port on the front/base of the carb, and from the purge canister. I just put a vacuum cap on the fitting that used to get vacuum from the evap.

4. Tee'd the vacuum advance and egr valve together and connected them to the ported vacuum port (passenger side vacuum port)

5. Tightened the bolts/hose clamps

6. connected the electric choke wire

7. stepped on the gas pedal to set the choke and cranked the engine over to fill the float bowls with fuel.

The engine fired off, smooth and at the proper cold start RPM. I let the engine warm up. Set the idle (it was a little low for an automatic).

Checked the idle fuel/air mixture. It was actually pretty close. And took it for a test drive. It had better throttle response, no hesitaion or stumble. Solid acceleration through the throttle range. Returned to idle RPM setting with no oscillation.

I'll have to see how it does at highway/interstate speeds.
            Last edited by FallonJeeper; 03-08-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X