• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lodmccloud
    232 I6
    • Dec 05, 2009

Which high steer arms?

Doing high steer on my 74 j10 I got lucky and ended up with one chevy dana 44 driverside that is already MD&T I am gonna get the passenger side MD&T so I have full high steer.

What are your suggestions for High steer arms?
  • Dome
    304 AMC
    • Apr 06, 2000

I just recently ordered a set of D44 high steer arms from Ballistic Fabrication. Those guys come pretty highly recommended and I liked the look of their arms (I liked that they had the 10 degree angle correction).

Also, their price was very reasonable in comparison to other providers. The arms are the 4 hole to cater to the aftermarket knuckle crowd, but they work just fine with the standard "3 hole" knuckles too (and actually, only 3 studs\cones\nuts are included in the hardware kit, not 4).

We design and manufacture the worlds most advanced parts for off-road vehicles right here in the USA! When second best doesn't cut it - GO BALLISTIC!
    83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
    360, TF727, NP228
    SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker

Comment

• lodmccloud
      232 I6
      • Dec 05, 2009

very nice that for the info!

Comment

• Heimeken
        304 AMC
        • Nov 29, 2000

I got these:

The Best Ford Chevy Dodge Toyota Suzuki Dana 60 Dana 44 14 Bolt Suspension, Armor, Axle components, Fabrication parts Lift and SAS kits OBS SuperDuty Swap F350 F250

they are beefy and are built tall so you don't have to buy longer bolts or spacers.
        '85 Grand Wagoneer "Caterpillar"
        401, NV4500, 3/4 ton gear

'79 Cherokee "The Sandgorgon"
        One Tons, SOA,T18 on 40's

78 J10 "Imoteb"
        J20 running gear and axles

Comment

• Pavementsux91XJ
          232 I6
          • Nov 19, 2009

I've got the Blur Torch arms on the hp44 in my XJ. No problems so far. I also got the ballistic hi-steer kit to fab up the drag link and tie rod. No problems and I beat the living piss out of that thing
          Trail Rig: 1991 XJ on 3/4 tons and 38's
          Tow Rig: 2002 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4

And the only one anybody here cares about:

Huntin Rig/ Mild Trail Rig: 1973(must be late because it has all 74 parts) Jeep J10, 360/t18/d20. 3" lift on 33's. Runnin Great! Awaiting body work and flatbed!

Comment

• Dome
            304 AMC
            • Apr 06, 2000

Originally posted by Heimeken
            I got these:

The Best Ford Chevy Dodge Toyota Suzuki Dana 60 Dana 44 14 Bolt Suspension, Armor, Axle components, Fabrication parts Lift and SAS kits OBS SuperDuty Swap F350 F250

they are beefy and are built tall so you don't have to buy longer bolts or spacers.

I didn't need a spacer for my setup, but if you need one to clear your leaf springs, the raised arm (or something like this - http://www.northwestfab.com/d44.html) may be better. A lot of folks do it.... but the spacer and longer studs does weaken the design.
            360, TF727, NP228

Comment

• Dome
              304 AMC
              • Apr 06, 2000

Originally posted by Pavementsux91XJ
              I've got the Blur Torch arms on the hp44 in my XJ. No problems so far. I also got the ballistic hi-steer kit to fab up the drag link and tie rod. No problems and I beat the living piss out of that thing

Do you mean their drag link and tie rod assemblies? I ended up going a different route for my crossover steering linkage, but their draglink\tierod assembiles looked pretty decent and are a pretty decent price. Was looking at those possibly for my dad's Wag though. If those kits are what you meant, did you get the heims or TRE?
              360, TF727, NP228

Comment

• cajun_lad
                350 Buick
                • Feb 17, 2006

I just got these from PartsMike for my build. $209, and they are raised for extra spring clearance, w/o the need for spacers or longer studs. Oh, and they come with the studs, conical washers, and nuts. And they have the 10deg correction.

Joey
                Jeep-Less

Comment

• Artisan
                  327 Rambler
                  • Dec 17, 2008

I have not taken the time to learn how to do this. Some pics of before maybe during and after maybe? Are these the only parts you need and reuse your OE tie rod drag link?
                  Regards,
                  Artisan
                  1979 Jeep J-10 (Soon to be J-30)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Comment

• Chief Gunner
                    327 Rambler
                    • Mar 10, 2006

Originally posted by cajun_lad
                    I just got these from PartsMike for my build. $209, and they are raised for extra spring clearance, w/o the need for spacers or longer studs. Oh, and they come with the studs, conical washers, and nuts. And they have the 10deg correction.

http://www.partsmike.com/store/store...on=show_detail
                    X2 on partsmike. I did cross over steering, but got the passenger side high steer arm and stud kit. They went together really nice and so far, it works well. Partsmike also sells a threaded piece of DOM tubing and jam nuts so that you can use your stock drag link.
                    The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
                    Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
                    WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM

Comment

• Pavementsux91XJ
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 19, 2009

Originally posted by Dome
                      Do you mean their drag link and tie rod assemblies? I ended up going a different route for my crossover steering linkage, but their draglink\tierod assembiles looked pretty decent and are a pretty decent price. Was looking at those possibly for my dad's Wag though. If those kits are what you meant, did you get the heims or TRE?
                      Yep, thats the system I used, i think it's like 2 60" sticks of 1.5" .25 wall DOM and you get the weld in bungs, jam nuts and your choice of chevy won ton TREs or heims. I went with heims and high missalignment spacers for the extra flex cause my front 3 link will flex enough to drop the spring out of the upper mount, and its mainly an off-road vehicle (Heims aren't DOT approved). If I end up doing a spring over on the J10 then I'll probably use this kit with TREs. Those bars are tough as nails, I've bashed em on a few rocks and they won't bend. I almost think I can hang the XJ from that bar and it would be fine.
                      Trail Rig: 1991 XJ on 3/4 tons and 38's
                      Tow Rig: 2002 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4

And the only one anybody here cares about:

Huntin Rig/ Mild Trail Rig: 1973(must be late because it has all 74 parts) Jeep J10, 360/t18/d20. 3" lift on 33's. Runnin Great! Awaiting body work and flatbed!

Comment

• Bigfoot Fabrications
                        230 Tornado
                        • Mar 26, 2009

I also used the Ballistic Fab high steer arms and their crossover kit with 1 ton TRE's. I used a set of knuckles off a 76 Cherokee and had them machined flat and tapped for the high steer studs. This is a SOA on stock springs. Seems to be a nice kit and everything went together just fine, but one of the TRE's broke after three months. Ballistic fab warranteed the TRE, But I had to go to their shop to get it. Heres some pics

87 Grand Waggy,360/208/D44's. F&R Detroits, 37" Pitbull Rockers,Allied Beadlocks, 4.56
                        gears, SOA, High Steer, Other Goodies

Comment

• lodmccloud
                          232 I6
                          • Dec 05, 2009

are you using spacers to clear the spring packs?

Comment

• Bigfoot Fabrications
                            230 Tornado
                            • Mar 26, 2009

Yes, I used the 1" spacers from ballistic. The tie rod would have been too close to the springs otherwise
                            87 Grand Waggy,360/208/D44's. F&R Detroits, 37" Pitbull Rockers,Allied Beadlocks, 4.56
                            gears, SOA, High Steer, Other Goodies

Comment

• Chief Gunner
                              327 Rambler
                              • Mar 10, 2006

With the partmike high steer arms, you do not need a spacer. They are machined think enough to get them up over the spring pack as one solid piece. To me, I think that is a much better design.

Here is a pic of my partsmike arm.
                              The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
                              Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
                              WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM

Comment

Working...
                              X