• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Probesport
    232 I6
    • Apr 15, 2015

Speedo bouncing

Greetings all. I have an issue that I've not come across in a car before. My Waggy speedometer 'bounces' above 80mph but returns to accurate below. Is this a gauge, speedo drive, or cable issue?

The cluster, cable, transmission are all stock.

TIA

Ken S.
    Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Megasquirt EFI
    : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
    Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

I've seen bouncing needles from loose and worn cables. Easiest thing to check is make sure the cable is tight on both ends. If that doesn't help, you might pull it off the speedo and see if you can get some cable lube down into it. You could also pull it off both ends and make sure it spins freely in the housing, if it's binding up, that could cause bounce.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Probesport
      232 I6
      • Apr 15, 2015

Thanks for the reply. I have verified that it's tight on each end, and was able to get a few drops of speedo cable lube down in there but no change.

I've been leaning gauge but it doesn't make sense (to me) that it's fine until 80.
      Ken S.
      Megasquirt EFI
      : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
      Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• 61Hawk
        258 I6
        • Jul 18, 2009

I'd be more worried about driving over 80 mph than the bouncing speedometer needle. 80 mph, what is that about 4000 rpm?

Comment

• Crankyolman
          350 Buick
          • Sep 27, 2017

Mine does that at 40MPH for around 2 or 3 weeks in November then doesn't do it any more until the next November. I have no idea why. I'd like to know a solution if you find one.
          '72 J4500

Comment

• ZackN920
            350 Buick
            • Nov 18, 2015

I've seen that in speedo's at lower speeds. I think my old truck sometimes does it a little bit to an extant. I have read about it being an issue with weights, gears and springs set up inside the speedometer itself.

My stepdad had a ranger from the early 90's that did this terribly at low speed. Once at highway speed it smoothed out.

This reminds me. Gotta do something about my cable in the GW. It has gotten Noisy! First real cold day of the winter and the thing got loud. It sounds like bits of gravel are inside of the cable...
            1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
            Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
            ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Probesport
              232 I6
              • Apr 15, 2015

Thanks for the responses, yes 80 is up there in RPM's with the 727 but I do plan on some more gears in the future.

I ordered another speedo off of eBay, i'll see if its just the gauge in a few days I guess.
              Ken S.
              Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Step one: quit pouring oil into the cable housing! You're just gumming things up more and risk trashing the speedo with the oil getting flung off the cable and into the speedo. More than likely after 30 years it just needs to be removed, cleaned and lubed.
                The cable is essentially a very tightly wound spring. The bouncing happens when there is rust, old lube etc binding the coil segments, not the cable rubbing on the housing.
                Pull the cable and soak it in gasoline, solvent, whatever ya got. Work the cable to loosen any rust, crud. Flush and hang to dry thoroughly. Some folks lube with powdered graphite cable lube which works till the next guy pours oil into the cable housing. I prefer using a light machine oil like 3-in-1, sewing machine oil. What ever you use massage/work it into the coil segments, don't just coat the outside of the cable.
                joe
                "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Probesport
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 15, 2015

Yes, you are correct and some good points but I wouldn't use 3-in-one oil. I have pulled the center out and only use speedo lubricant - I guess i should have clarified more i know most people aren't following my builds. I added a few drops more after I rebuilt my speedo cable.

I wouldn't recommend using anything other than a speedo cable lube, AGS makes one that I've used in cars going back to the 30s without any issue. Also, the center wound cable should be cleaned in an ultrasonic or replaced - its the only way to really get everything out of the windings.

The cable housing itself should be totally cleaned and allowed to dry. Using a cable oil wipe the coil, let sit and then wipe off excess.

My cable is like new, and the ends were cleaned using an electrolytic rust removal and each end then polished. I am really left at just the speedo itself or the speed sensor.
                  Ken S.
                  Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• tbwingyJ10
                    230 Tornado
                    • Sep 13, 2014

Clear plastic over the gauges

Hello, not wanting to hijack your thread, but can't find anything on this topic. I removed my cluster partly because the round, plastic, clear windows had all become disconnected. Any tips on a good glue/binder to hold them back in to place? Thank you

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by tbwingyJ10
                      Hello, not wanting to hijack your thread, but can't find anything on this topic. I removed my cluster partly because the round, plastic, clear windows had all become disconnected. Any tips on a good glue/binder to hold them back in to place? Thank you
                      I didn't remove the cluster. Just used a kids suction cup dart rom a play gun. Stuck it on the clean lens, pulled it in place and used one drop of regular plastic model building glue at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.
                      joe
                      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by tbwingyJ10
                        I used this stuff and it seems to hold pretty well.

take your time because if you put too much it will cloud the lens. Also, make sure you are bonding plastic to plastic. The previous owner of mine had tried glueing it one time before and I had to send the old adhesive off so I could get plastic to plastic contact.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Probesport
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 15, 2015

Update: It was the gauge. I swapped in an eBay cluster and no more bounce at any speed.

For lens attachment, E6000, silicone glue, or even hot glue will do. Stay away from anything that can melt plastic or contains cyanoacrylate or acetone (or smells similar) as that will permanently cloud anything it touches.
                          Ken S.
                          Megasquirt EFI

Comment

Working...
                          X