• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GunGuy
    232 I6
    • Nov 13, 2001

For those who care, I'm back

I have been lurking for a year, when I logged in it was 7-25-2006 as my last login. I sold the 76 Cherokee in my avatar last July. I was almost heart broken to let it go. One of the guys that works for me bought an 86 GW for 600 bucks with 190K on the odo. I warned him that he would only ever lose money on anything he spent on it. When he didn't listen about putting in the fuel pump that was sitting in the back when he bought it, I just waited. A month later he asked why he was getting four miles per gallon and his oil smelled like gas. He put a for sale sign in the window for 650 because he wanted to make a little money off of it, I waited. He lowered it to 450, I waited. At 250 he had a bite and I told him I wasn't settled into my new house, so go ahead and sell it to the other guy. It wasn't worth 250 to the guy, this week I'll be picking up my castrated 86 GW that I bought for 200 bucks. It is always good to get to teach somebody a valuable lesson when it comes to old Jeeps. Turn wrenches and figure out what you are doing or lose your butt. I will post pictures when I get it, this is going to be a father-daughter project for my 14 Y/O, if I don't steal it once we're done.
    "The Salty Wench"
    1986 GW 'Castrated' 360, 727, 20 rear. DSPO cut-the-hoses power steering mod repaired, he didn't know leaks were an option when these were built. Drained two gallons of gas from pan I warned him about the fuel pump diaphragms. Father-Daughter project, hers when it's done. She named it, she's stuck in pirate mode.

j/k
    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
    Originally posted by johnny019
    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
      King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Let me be the first to say...

Bryan Smith
      2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
      - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
      1986 Jeep J20
      - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
      1982 Jeep J10
      - Has become a Long Term Project.
      1981 Jeep J20
      - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
      1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
      - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
      ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
      Originally posted by Lindel
      Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

Muuuwhaaahaaahaahaa....
        They always come back home. Guess you will have to change your sig. soon.
        Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
        Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• GunGuy
          232 I6
          • Nov 13, 2001

I present to you--------the 'Salty Wench' I apologize for the huge pics.

It took an eight mile tow strap tow to get her home. My champ of a wife had never pulled even a trailer before. She did a great job, we had a couple challenging moments where I lost the strap because it went slack. Overall it was a great drive, FSJs sure ride nice when you don't have the engine running. The tow vehicle suffered a little damage, luckily it was just brake lights. Five minutes straightening pins and reinserting into the Suburban's original wiring and all lights are working.

Once we got her home we took a profile of her, and then of the crew.

"The Salty Wench"
          1986 GW 'Castrated' 360, 727, 20 rear. DSPO cut-the-hoses power steering mod repaired, he didn't know leaks were an option when these were built. Drained two gallons of gas from pan I warned him about the fuel pump diaphragms. Father-Daughter project, hers when it's done. She named it, she's stuck in pirate mode.

Comment

Yaarrrrrrr!.....A fine name.
            Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
            Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• drlocke
              Roadside Mechanic
              • Dec 29, 2003

Any excuse to spend quality time with one of your kids engaged in a project is worthy of merit.

Unless there's a lot of plastic under that black stuff that looks like a good sturdy candidate for a resto.

Comment

• Bob Barry
                Jeep Doctor
                • Apr 09, 2000

Did it used to plow? Those front springs look awful saggy; usually the rears match!

$200 is an awefully-hard price to pass up; congratulations, and good luck!
                1987 J-20
                Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• drlocke
                  Roadside Mechanic
                  • Dec 29, 2003

Originally posted by Bob Barry
                  Did it used to plow? Those front springs look awful saggy; usually the rears match!

$200 is an awefully-hard price to pass up; congratulations, and good luck!
                  The front springs in my Wag sag worse than on that one--by far! I'm waiting for a friend to find a suitable set for me. Oh, BTW, my Wag has never plowed.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

That looks like a perfect project for a teenager! Welcome and Congrats!
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
                      GrimJeeperReaper
                      • Jul 08, 2002

Great find! Can't beat a deal like that! So are the two of you gonna do a 'frame up'?
                      1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• GunGuy
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 13, 2001

Thanks for the great comments. The front sag is an optical illusion someone in the past NINE owners put blocks under the back. It is fairly solid but it isn't getting too serious of a resto. She has heard me talk about never racing a primered car. My Daughter has loved the body style since I had my 76. She has also said that it doesn't pay to have anything nice. My daughter wants to build it to the standard where a mall parking lot ding doesn't make her cry, and she has already referred to it as the new fishing trip vehicle. The fact I was willing to get it for her and make it a monster by the time she starts driving, just sweetened the deal.
                        "The Salty Wench"

Comment

Working...
                        X