• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4x4fEvEr
    350 Buick
    • May 25, 2005

No luck lift

My luck a guy gives me some waggy springs, I order AAL's go to install but the springs are so pitted with rust between the leaves I'm afraid to use em! Hell the mainleaf is eat up 1/4 way thru and has two waves of bendyness I never noticed so I have some worthless AAL's now.

I need a two or 3 inch lift spring for the front. Whts my options for buying individually and not a kit?

Don't say rancho 44044. Been there, bent and broke those!
    77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's
  • Dirtball
    304 AMC
    • Apr 10, 2006

Post in the wanted section... somebody up close to you has some springs they'll let go for free or for cheap... then you can use the AALs you bought... if you were close to me I'd let you have a set for not much...
    Paul
    1979 Cherokee N/T
    360/TH400/Qtrac/D44s/rear Lock-right
    6 inch Hell Creek all spring lift
    34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1394.jpg
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1390.jpg
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_1387-2.jpg

Comment

• jepj2000
      350 Buick
      • Dec 22, 2006

What about running some chevy lift springs? I think if you divide what the advertised lift amount for a chevy then that is what it will lift your FSJ (6" spring / 2 = 3" of lift).

The problem is it will also move your axle forward ~1" or so from the stock location, but that also may not be a problem.

You may be able to pick some of those up for cheap, just a thought.

Also I think you can buy new individual springs, stock or lifted, from BJs if you want to go that route as well.

Rankin
      1972 J2000: 304, T18, Dana 20, Dana 44s w/ 4.09s, Rear Detroit, 7.50-16s
      1977 J10: 401, TH400, Quadratrac, partime kit, Dana 60's , 4.10s, welded rear, RS44044s SOA, 63" Springs inboarded, 36" Goodyear RT IIs

Comment

• Desert Rat
        327 Rambler
        • May 21, 2003

Rough Country 8004's?
        www.nissan4wheelers.com - we're the guys using up all the spare driver drop waggy axles!

Comment

I would give you the ones I have but they're for the rear Seriously, where did you bend the 44044s?

edit: also you could look at a junkyard or better yet find someone that can re-arch springs. they should be able to make you a pack to your specs for a reasonable price. If you want bling call Alcan. If you want middle of the road get Skyjacker or the 44044s. I had to weld a piece of tube behind the springs so the hanger wouldn't kick back and bend the main leaf.
          Last edited by orangecherokee; 02-17-2009, 11:05 AM.
          Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
          I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
          Originally posted by johnny019
          I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• Dirtball
            304 AMC
            • Apr 10, 2006

I think Hell Creek has stock springs too...
            Paul
            1979 Cherokee N/T
            360/TH400/Qtrac/D44s/rear Lock-right
            6 inch Hell Creek all spring lift
            34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
            http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1394.jpg
            http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1390.jpg
            http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_1387-2.jpg

Comment

• j20brett
              360 AMC
              • Jul 05, 2006

I think its time you put a se of alcan's under there. Military wrapped springs...nuff said. I wouldnt worry about bending those. Prolly cost you $400 or so but will be custom made for your truck
              Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                350 Buick
                • May 25, 2005

Originally posted by orangecherokee
                I would give you the ones I have but they're for the rear Seriously, where did you bend the 44044s?

I bent them right infront of the rear hanger and broke the drivers side in the same place. Did it in harlan on lower ****ation in the rain. I don't recommend that trail when wet

edit: also you could look at a junkyard or better yet find someone that can re-arch springs. they should be able to make you a pack to your specs for a reasonable price. If you want bling call Alcan. If you want middle of the road get Skyjacker or the 44044s. I had to weld a piece of tube behind the springs so the hanger wouldn't kick back and bend the main leaf.

Alcan would be my "if I had the money" choice.

F*uck it I'm gonna run em. Imtired of seeing my junk on jackstands! Ill post up a wanted add and just thrash my junk in the mean time.
                DPG in march Nick?
                77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

• duncanstives
                  304 AMC
                  • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by jepj2000
                  What about running some chevy lift springs? I think if you divide what the advertised lift amount for a chevy then that is what it will lift your FSJ (6" spring / 2 = 3" of lift).

The problem is it will also move your axle forward ~1" or so from the stock location, but that also may not be a problem.

You may be able to pick some of those up for cheap, just a thought.

Also I think you can buy new individual springs, stock or lifted, from BJs if you want to go that route as well.

Rankin
                  Wait wait wait...

WHAT!?

Thats EXACTLY what I want.. 3in of lift and one inch forward axle relocation.... More details please! Does this work for the rear or just the front? How the ride quality?
                  88 Waggy
                  Resting in peace... Um... In piece... Er... IN PIECES

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing

Comment

• Gearhead 1990
                    258 I6
                    • Dec 18, 2006

Originally posted by jepj2000

Rankin
                    You are right about the 6" Chevy springs being about 3" lift, but it doesn't work the way you said. Just minus ~ 3" off of whatever lift spring you have.

4" Chevy = ~1" Jeep
                    6" Chevy = ~3" Jeep
                    8" Chevy = ~5" Jeep

And so on....
                    No jeeps at the moment

Comment

• Gearhead 1990
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 18, 2006

Originally posted by duncanstives
                      Wait wait wait...

WHAT!?

Thats EXACTLY what I want.. 3in of lift and one inch forward axle relocation.... More details please! Does this work for the rear or just the front? How the ride quality?
                      I have had good luck with Tuff Country EZ-Ride 6" Chevy springs in the front. They ride decent (for a lift spring) and flex like crazy.

I don't know about the rears though..... never done that.
                      No jeeps at the moment

Comment

• duncanstives
                        304 AMC
                        • Mar 27, 2008

But it provides 3 in of lift or there about?

I am hoping to avoid steering issues and I am GUESSING I will be OK with 3in (I have heard all the debates and people that got death wobble when they lifted it a half inch and those who lifted it 2 feet and had no problems... I am just willing to take a chance on 3in and see what happens)
                        Last edited by duncanstives; 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM.
                        88 Waggy
                        Resting in peace... Um... In piece... Er... IN PIECES

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
                          Alcan would be my "if I had the money" choice.

F*uck it I'm gonna run em. Imtired of seeing my junk on jackstands! Ill post up a wanted add and just thrash my junk in the mean time.
                          DPG in march Nick?
                          I hate to say it but that was my first thought. Just run them and see. In the meantime you can be on the search for others.

DPG? Haven't been there yet. I need to get out there and check it out. March may be do-able. Depends on the funds. I've got to save enough for the Tellico trip in April.
                          Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                          I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                          Originally posted by johnny019
                          I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

Working...
                          X