• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • porkchop
    Master of B.S.
    • Apr 17, 2000

TH400 break down diagram

Anyone know where I can get a good break down of the TH400? I am going to be replacing the tail shaft in the next couple of days and need a good break down of the tranny. Thanks.
  • denaliak02
    232 I6
    • Jan 21, 2001

porkchop,
    i have an 82 TSM at home, would it be in there?
    \"Orange Crush\"<BR>31x10.5<BR>western weave int/orange ext<BR>inside-custom mtn bike rack<P>Mostly stock...so far!

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by porkchop:
      Anyone know where I can get a good break down of the TH400? I am going to be replacing the tail shaft in the next couple of days and need a good break down of the tranny. Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryant, there isn't a blow-up of the TH400 on one page as there is of the D20 or such in any of the the TSM's or PM's. Just too many zillions of parts/circuits etc I suposse to put on one page. The hydraulic diagrams for the various cicuits take up pages
      The best reference I can recommend besides the factory TSM is Ron Sessions book on the TH400. I think the full title is "How to work on and modify the Turbo Hdramatic 400 transmission". It's put out by Motorbooks Int'l and is avail at Amazon.com et al for about $20.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• porkchop
        Master of B.S.
        • Apr 17, 2000

Thanks guys. I don't have to tear into the circuts do I? All I would have to do is tear it down enough to get the tail shaft in and then change the front and rear seals and put it back together. I am just going to have to go to the local book store and see what I can find. Thanks again.

Comment

• gsmikie
          Auto Trannie God
          • Feb 18, 2001

what do you want the clutch packs or valve body ???? i also have the lip seal protectors and clutch pack press if you need them i think im comming down the first of the week it only takes about 20 minutes to rebuild a th 400 let me know
          I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• gsmikie
            Auto Trannie God
            • Feb 18, 2001

you have to remove the valve body to get to the center support bolt its under the valve body piece of cake...................
            I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• porkchop
              Master of B.S.
              • Apr 17, 2000

All I need to do is get it so I can get the the new output shaft in (as soon as I get it from you). I know nothing about AT's really so any help would be great.

Comment

• BHT
                232 I6
                • May 23, 2001

Comment

• nightflyers
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jul 08, 2001

Haynes makes a rebuild and repair book for the TH-400. I would have more info, but I can't seem to find it here.
                  Scott McMurtrie<br /><br />78 Cherokee WT<br />360/T-18/Dana 20<br />38\" Super Swampers

Comment

• porkchop
                    Master of B.S.
                    • Apr 17, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BHT:
                    http://www.atlantabuick.com/M40-TH400.htm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, BHT, this is going to help a lot.

Nightflyers, I am going to check all the local part houses and see what I can come up with. It is easier to work with a book in front of you instead of going back and forth to the computer or wasitng all the ink to print the diagram out.

Comment

BHT,

Thanks for the link... I was looking for something like that...it will help..

PC,

I got a FREE TH400 yesterday... 2WD short shaft.... JeepBob was right...it's a perfect match... Thanks Bob!!!

Now I have to get it apart and start the process of swapping... guess we are about even in the process...good luck.

I have to get my shaft redone once the D20 is put in... "and/or" find a D44 center diff with 6 lug bolt pattern that I can swap my Detroit and 4.89's. Maybe in the future I will look harder for the rearend...not too worried yet.
                      Todd
                      www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• nightflyers
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jul 08, 2001

Found that book.

General Motors Automatic Transmission Overhaul

Item #10360
                        ISBN #1 56392 169 3
                        Barcode # 0 38345 10360 5

If you have trouble finding it, let me know. I got mine from Advanced Auto, they had a couple last time I was in.
                        Scott McMurtrie<br /><br />78 Cherokee WT<br />360/T-18/Dana 20<br />38\" Super Swampers

Comment

• porkchop
                          Master of B.S.
                          • Apr 17, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by River Beast:

I got a FREE TH400 yesterday... 2WD short shaft.... JeepBob was right...it's a perfect match... Thanks Bob!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Punk! I am getting my shaft and installing it this Monday if all goes well. The only thing that is holding me up is finding the gear I need. The one I have is an 18-8-43 and the one I need is a 18-8-40. The difference being the former is a 17.5 degree cut and the later is a 20 degree cut. This makes a big difference. No one on here seems to have one and I may have to end up ordering it. If this is the case then I won't be on the road until Wed or Thursday. My wife wants her car back [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• jeepbob
                            Jeep Idiot
                            • Jan 16, 2001

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I got a FREE TH400 yesterday... 2WD short shaft.... JeepBob was right...a perfect match<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeepbob has to know what will work as he runs junk and is too cheap to buy adaptor kits. Glad to help.

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: jeepbob ]

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: jeepbob ]
                            65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

Working...
                            X