Does anyone know the value of an 83 jeep honcho j-10 sport side like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 83honcho
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 16, 2007

Does anyone know the value of an 83 jeep honcho j-10 sport side like this?

I live in wasilla and I have a 1983 Jeep Honcho j-10 series with a short be sport side. I have posted this also on car domain and jeepsunlimited.com I am curious as to whether or not anyone might know the value of this jeep? I have heard that there was a limited number of this model made. Here is some history on it and what has been done to it.

It has been a project that was passed on down from my wifes step dad to her right before he died. For the last 4 years, my dad and I have been working on it little by little. In this honcho is a newer 360 v-8 engine that has been bored 30 over and completely gone through pistons, oversized cam. It has under 10k miles on the engine as well as the transmission and the t-case. The body itself has about 129,000 on it original.

At this time it still had the original paint job which was white, (I am trying to find pictures of it with the original paint job)with the original Honcho on the side of it. The Honcho lettering and design was white and red stripes that began at the front fenders and ran down the majority of both the drivers side and passenger side doors. This same design was on the hood as well. After we had the work done on the Engine and tranny, then we went in and started replacing other internal parts as well. We added a 4 barrel carburetor, new intake manifold, of course a complete tune-up, new alternator, battery, air intake, custom exhaust, radiator, clutch fan, pulleys, you name it we have gone through it.

Then it sat for about a year or so, because we had enough vehicles for transportation, then as things happen in life we had to down size and then start driving this awesome GAS HOG =) Jeep to work, guess thats what a 4 barrel carb will do to ya, and a lead foot. Next I finally got the idea of selling it about a year ago, but I wanted it to be eye catching so instead of restoring it and painting it back to the original color I went ahead and decided to do a custom paint job that would be eye catching, because I figured that there would not be a great market here in alaska for someone to appreciate the fact that there was a limited number of these sport side honcho's made in the first place.

So I traded my motorcycle for a custom paint job that took almost 4 months to complete, thats what happens when you have friends help you out. I decided to have it all redone in a metallic jet black down to the inside of the doors jams. Then he went in after completing this part of the paint job, and sprayed in frost pearl blue ghost flames. I am going to add some new pictures, well better pictures for that matter I took these in a hurry and my batteries were dying on the camera. The flames looks awesome in the sun because of the pearl they change color as the sun hits them, so it actually makes it looks like they are moving. Then of course after the paint job was done, I shifted again and decided that I did not want to sell it, that again was about a year ago.

There are a couple of things that I still have to do if I decide to keep it, right now i have it up on craigslist here in alaska looking to possibly sell it or trade it for a newer truck, but if I do keep it it is going to be work to the interior of the jeep. It needs a new headliner, the original headliner is falling down, I need to replace some of the glass on the gauges, also I need to put some seatbelts in it, well the female ends at least. Also I would like to put some new speakers in it and maybe an amp to help out the cd player that was installed, and add some custom rims and tires. Other than that just about everthing has been gone through, I do have to fix a spot on the passenger side of the bed that has a crack in the fiberglass above the wheel where one of my friends (in a bone head move) sat their weight on it after I just had it painted and cracked. The crack is about 1 1/2 inches, and some paint has come off so, that is something also I would like to get fixed.

I just got it back from the shop, I had a complete inspection, (Basically a pre-buy) Had the timing reset, it was off a little, new plugs, new blower motor, full service and oil change. This beast is running better than it ever has, and it will smoke the rubber off of the tires if you want it to. It has amazing take off, and one amazing passing gear. Still debating on whether or not to let it go. I have been offered a 99 ford f-350 7.3 diesel full four door, with lots of upgrades for this jeep, but I just cannot pull the trigger yet, we'll see what happens. Thanks for looking and take care.

here are some extra pics from my post on cardomain.com I plan on getting some better pics later on.

• jeeprunner81
    258 I6
    • Feb 17, 2006

step side fan

being step side fan the value goes buy how much some one is willing to pay. up in alaska I am sure there are very few of them up there. I have seen a limited # in utah but I have also seen alot of them on this site and around the web. the paint is killer. I wish mine looked that good. your price would all depend on the collector. the only hit you would take is what do you have for drive train after the 360. but then again that thing looks to good to take it down a trail and get it all dirty. I would like to know what mine is worth also but it doesn't compare to the looks of yours.
    78 waggy " Chester", 6" lift, 33x12.50, AMC 360, 401 intake, Holly Projection, T-18a, D20, Warn locking hubs,Mopar Performance Dizzy, mallory coil, 3" exhaust, Stewart Warner Gauges,for those hot summer days after market AC

Comment

• jeeprunner81
      258 I6
      • Feb 17, 2006

engine bay and cab

I noticed some thing in you pictures if the inside of the cab and engine compartment haven't been paint it is a turn off for some people you can tel it is not factory paint but to a body man it is a sign of sloppy work. don't get me wrong the paint is awesome but you can tell there was some corners cut if you don't do the whole thing with a color change.
      78 waggy " Chester", 6" lift, 33x12.50, AMC 360, 401 intake, Holly Projection, T-18a, D20, Warn locking hubs,Mopar Performance Dizzy, mallory coil, 3" exhaust, Stewart Warner Gauges,for those hot summer days after market AC

Comment

• J10Mike
        Delightfully Incompetent
        • Jun 04, 2003

Like Runner said...depends on what someone is willing to pay for it. Your J10 looks very nice though.
        I believe Bob Davis was offered $12,000 for his completely restored J10 Sportside...right before it was wrecked of course.
        www.j10mike.com
        Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• adamsclarke
          258 I6
          • Jan 24, 2007

It's a good question...does anyone know production numbers on sport side honchos from the 80s...i.e...quantiy made

Comment

• mdill
            Gone. Not Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2000

neat truck, but if you are going for "collectors $" there is issues; 1) J-trucks have no collector value
            2) the paint is not origional if there were.

Cool truck, they make good hobbies, bad investments.

Mike D.
            -----------------------------------------
            Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
            1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
            1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
            1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
            1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
            And the other stuff that gets driven
            ----------------------------------------

Comment

• badaboom
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 05, 2001

As my father always said "Its only worth what someone is willing to pay"

Nice looking rig.

I say Enjoy it while you can and FSJ is the way to GO.

Drive ON
              Last edited by badaboom; 02-16-2007, 06:57 PM.
              1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• janie
                • Aug 11, 2001

Originally posted by mdill

Cool truck, they make good hobbies, bad investments.

Mike D.

Mike summed it up very well. No disrespect directed towards you or your rig. I think it's beautiful. From a collector standpoint though, I've yet to see a market for the J series trucks.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• Headhoncho
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Oct 11, 2006

Nice truck. Gotta lose the hubcaps though.

JR
                  [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                  1966 mustang fastback
                  '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• jeeprunner81
                    258 I6
                    • Feb 17, 2006

99 ford 7.3L

been offered a 99 ford f-350 7.3 diesel full four door This truck is worth at least 15 G's but there are allot more of those on the road. I am a FSJ nut I would keep it and cherish the rest of my life then give it to my first born so he could enjoy it as much as I did.

Comment

• Cherokee01478
                      327 Rambler
                      • Nov 05, 2006

Re the number produced in '83 - check out the link from this site:

The largest resource for full size Jeep information on the net! The IFSJA is a community of owners and enthusiasts of SJ series Full Size Jeeps.

Looks like a nice Jeep.
                      If nature abhors a vacuum, how does a vacuum feel about nature?

1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Widetrack, 5.9l (360cu) with a Holley 600 carb.

Comment

• Rande
                        Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                        • Jun 26, 2000

You have a nice truck there. What someone is willing to pay is the question. There's a limited market for these Jeeps. Most if us already have one (or two, or three, or four). Your location further restricts you potential pool of buyers. How much would it cost for me to get there and then bring it back to Minnesota, for example.

The custom paint is another factor. Your buyer is going to have to like it. Me, I'd have to factor in the cost of fixing the paint. Buying the truck and then immediatly having it repainted is costly. Anytime you have something custom painted, you are likely hurting its resale value or, at least, restricting your potential buyers.

Lots to take into consideration when determining value.
                        Last edited by Rande; 02-17-2007, 02:18 PM.
                        N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
                        1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
                        1966 Mustang
                        1937 IH D2

Comment

• Mud Thrasher
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jan 21, 2001

That's a sweet looking ride. I bet you have a hard time keeping rubber on those street tires. After looking at the prices of different older vehicles it really depends on the area. Down here the old broncos are hot and run between 6k to 12k. Like the others have said location is your worst enemy. But dont ever expect to get out of it what you put into it. I would also look at mileage on that ford. I drive a 250 every day and would much rather be driving my jeep. BTW my mpg is about a consistent 13 mpg. but that's with a full ladder rack and 4wd.
                          1988 Grand Wag, stock for now

Comment

• Kali
                            304 AMC
                            • Mar 29, 2005

why are there hidden hyperlinks in these threads? this is probably the 3rd post ive noticed this
                            1982 J-10 Pioneer

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
                            Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."

Comment

• Alaskaman
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 30, 2001

j10

Its a fact of life, there just isn't a market for FSJ's in Alaska, especially J-trucks. I've owned several and I get sick and TIRED of hearing.... Is that a FORD???
                              FSJ's
                              '89 Grand Wagoneer
                              '81 J20
                              Trucks:
                              '48 4WD truck
                              '54 4WD truck 226
                              Flatties:
                              '51 CJ3A
                              '46 CJ2A
                              '47 CJ2A
                              '48 CJ2A
                              FSJ's previously owned: