Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

75 and older wags/cheros still have a shackle in back. Only the shackle is mounted to a post. Where as 76 and newer have a box mount.

And as tad said, wagoneers and cherokees have always been the spring under frame, front shackle mounting setup. J-trucks are the only ones with post mounts in front, and they had the shackle at the rear eye of the front spring. Until 74, when they switched to spring under frame.

Comment

• jode
      JB Welder
      • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by billyrb:
      Blocks: bad idea....they aren't the best option.
      Originally posted by jode:
      PS - The whole thing about blocks is blown WAY out of proportion. Yes, they are not the "optimum" way to get lift, but thousands of people (including myself) have run them for years with NO ill effects. Is there a better way to lift? Yes, but blocks are cheap, allow you to retain stock ride quality, and are easy to install.
      I'll say it again - just one more time - thousands of people - (personally I have done serious 4 wheeling with them without any ill effects for years) have run them for years...even wheeled them pretty hard...without having any problems. They aren't the best way, for sure, but incidents with them are rare, and compared to the number of people who run them without ill-effects, are insignificant.

Stuka and Tadsal - thanks for all the great info...I think we are finally getting to the bottom of all this (tadsal - that is the chart I was looking at).

Kaiserjeeps - interesting review I wonder if those who have installed the 44044s on their rigs have experienced the same? All I hear about the 44044s is roses, and I would assume the ride would be somewhat the same as the 24043s
      No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• Stuka
        • Jan 21, 2001

jode: blocks arent dangerous so long as they arent stacked on top of each other, and arent over 4" tall. But... what does happen is axle wrap, this can lead to broken axle shafts, bent springs, loss of traction.

If you want to go with blocks, I would just find a way to add an anti-wrap bar for the rear axle, this will get rid of the bad side effects of the blocks.

Personally I run 2" blocks, and with the shackle flip,I do get some axle wrap (shackle facing up minimizes axle wrap a lot, shackel facing down makes it twice as easy to get). But I dont consider them dangerous at all. I have run them for 3.5 years, no problems at all.

Comment

• jode
          JB Welder
          • Apr 08, 2002

Stuka - fo sho!

i have run 4" blocks in the rear of mine for 4 years (and the PO ran them for years prior to that.) I have done several trails that I had no business being on in Moab, I have done some moderately nasty wheeling here in Idaho, I drove to Ouray and my wife drove the rig ALL over the mountains from there to Durango as she supported me and some friends (who were riding (mt bikes) over part of the Colorado trail.

I know what the side effects are of the blocks and I can honestly say that they have NEVER caused me a problem. I have never even known they were there. In fact, IMHO, they are at the EXACT same level (or only just SLIGHTLY lower) as lift springs on the list of ways to lift a Jeep - I personally don't think that lift springs are that great of an option either and I think they have their downsides as well.
          Anyway, that is just my $.02 and it will never fly on this forum (where lift blocks are somewhat akin to cursing the heavens in Sunday mass) so I won't bother to go into it.
          No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• full_hydro
            258 I6
            • Dec 08, 2003

i love how many experts there are on everything..

evidence of truth: my 1972 waggy has a shackle setup in the front, and (had) upside down shackle on post in the rear.

anyone know what the different offsets are on the front springs. someone mentioned 44" and 47" front springs..

i thought my 1972 springs were centered, but I'm not sure. Are the later models centered?

I could pick up a little wheelbase, and some lift with 44044's..

Comment

• Elliott
              Cowboy Up
              • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by full_hydro:
              anyone know what the different offsets are on the front springs. someone mentioned 44" and 47" front springs..

i thought my 1972 springs were centered, but I'm not sure. Are the later models centered?

According to Rancho the 44.64" RS24043 does not have an offset. The 47" RS44044 is offset 2", 22.50 front/24.50 rear.
              There are a couple of other differences between the two springs tho...
              RS240043
              Spring rate 604lbs/inch
              Free arch 5.75"
              Front eye size 1.25"
              Rear eye size 1.50"
              4 leaves

RS44044
              Spring rate 300lbs/inch
              Free arch 6.58"
              Front eye size 1.50"
              6 leaves
              Rear eye size 1.50"

[ February 16, 2004, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Elliott ]
              *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
              ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Tad
                • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by full_hydro:
                ...i thought my 1972 springs were centered, but I'm not sure. Are the later models centered?

Your 72 springs should be centered, get a tape out and check, it's not real hard to do. 75 and on should be offset.

If you can get the newer springs on your rig, I'm not sure what this will do to the location of the drag link and pitman arm.
                This is something that Kenall was attempting to explain to me about a year ago. I should have asked more questions at that time. Instead, I was slightly cocky and ignored and forgot most of what he was saying. (Sorry Ken, my loss)

[ February 16, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: tadsal ]
                2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• full_hydro
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 08, 2003

Thanks Elliott, great info

Comment

• full_hydro
                    258 I6
                    • Dec 08, 2003

Originally posted by tadsal:
                    Your 72 springs should be centered, get a tape out and check, it's not real hard to do
                    Actually, since my rig is 120 miles away, it's a bit tough.

If you can get the newer springs on your rig, I'm not sure what this will do to the location of the drag link and pitman arm.
                    drag link, pitman arm? what are those? .. I have full-hydraulic steering.. just a ram, some hoses and a tie-rod..

Comment

• full_hydro
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 08, 2003

I assume stock springs have pretty similar measurements eye to eye, and eye to center? arch probably changes them a little bit..

but anyway, on paper it looks like new springs on old mounts would move the front shackle forward about 2.5" and move the front tire a little more than 2" forward toward the bumper..... interesting..

Comment

• jode
                        JB Welder
                        • Apr 08, 2002

I guess those spring rates have a lot to do with what Kaiser Jeeps was saying about how the 24043s ride like a brick. They are more than twice as stiff as the 44044s!
                        Wow!

Comment

• ironroad29
                          360 AMC
                          • Nov 12, 2000

so will these work on the 66 got .hell i'm more confused now than before i read this
                          Looking for a j truck in VA.
                          1977 impala coupe lt1 swap in progress
                          2004 crown vic LX sport
                          1997 2 door Tahoe sport
                          preparing for a bleak future...

Comment

• testuser
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 09, 2000

not on jtrucks. they are SOA in the front. your best bet is to add a leaf in front and flip the shackle in the rear. there was a post in off-road about it

Comment

• ironroad29
                              360 AMC
                              • Nov 12, 2000

thanks ,thats a good tip ...but the springs on my front are toast due to the humongus length of the "custom" shackle ext. .so there all bent ,i'm gonna go with the under frame mounts and the shakle flip in the rear.
                              Looking for a j truck in VA.
                              1977 impala coupe lt1 swap in progress
                              2004 crown vic LX sport
                              1997 2 door Tahoe sport
                              preparing for a bleak future...

Comment

Working...
                              X